• Dec 4th, 2018 1:57 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
59 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto

Advice For Mirrorless for Newbie

Hey RFD,

I'm looking into getting into photography as I'm moving to a fairly remote location for work pretty soon. I have been researching a ton and I think I want a mirrorless camera, mostly for portability and it looks like there are some pretty good ones for beginners (sort of like a midway between a pro DSLR and a point and shoot?). I was eyeing the Sony a6000, as it looks like, although it's older, it's held up fairly well with the competition and even compared to it's newer models. Was just looking for any advice on what to buy for best beginner mirrorless camera and lenses, as well, I'm not shy when it comes to spending on lenses and body, but I'm looking to keep everything to under $2000. Thanks in advance!
25 replies
Jun 9, 2007
642 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I was looking into it myself and may consider picking up the A7iii...but hoping there's some sort of deal for BF.
Oct 24, 2010
94 posts
19 upvotes
Highly doubt the A7iii will come on sale until next year.

The A7ii is a great deal right now. Its definitely double in price for A6000, but its technically much more camera per se.

If you've never done photography in the past and don't know your ambitions at this time. Land on an A6000, grab some lens, then move up in body once you're more invested. Bodies change often, and deals come and go, but good lenses stay for a long time.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 3:52 pm
Hey RFD,

I'm looking into getting into photography as I'm moving to a fairly remote location for work pretty soon. I have been researching a ton and I think I want a mirrorless camera, mostly for portability and it looks like there are some pretty good ones for beginners (sort of like a midway between a pro DSLR and a point and shoot?). I was eyeing the Sony a6000, as it looks like, although it's older, it's held up fairly well with the competition and even compared to it's newer models. Was just looking for any advice on what to buy for best beginner mirrorless camera and lenses, as well, I'm not shy when it comes to spending on lenses and body, but I'm looking to keep everything to under $2000. Thanks in advance!
You may wish to consider the Canon M100, priced at $469.99, it is similarly spec'd in most features to the Canon M6 and M5. Best Buy just added a sale to it, but the sale ends in 3 days. It is being sold for $429.99. Shopper's Drug Mart had it for $399, but the sale just ended.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ca ... 31653.aspx?

There is an excellent 22mm f/2 lens that you can use to cover most situations. There is also a 32mm f/1.4 lens that has really beautiful bokeh. The 22mm runs for ~$280. The 32mm goes for $600.

Here are some samples:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/3962735@N23/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4316900
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2373 posts
930 upvotes
GTA
Here is a comparison of the Sony A6000 and the Canon M100: https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony ... n-EOS-M100

The fact that the Canon does not have either a viewfinder or a hot shoe totally knocks it out of contention for me. Some may have other opinions but I find it important to be able to frame a scene through a viewfinder - especially on sunny days. YMMV

The Sony also has more focus points (179 vs 49) and has continuous shooting at up to 11 frames per second (versus 6.1). IMHO the A6000 may be older technology but it seems to still hold it's own.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 1, 2010
919 posts
494 upvotes
Montreal
bvit6667 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 8:36 am
The Sony also has more focus points (179 vs 49) and has continuous shooting at up to 11 frames per second (versus 6.1). IMHO the A6000 may be older technology but it seems to still hold it's own.
Don't let the numbers fool you, the Dual Pixel AF is IMHO superior to the AF in the A6000. Number of points don't matter if it has trouble locking on subject.

As for FPS, we rarely need above 5 unless you have hyperactive kids or a rabid chihuahua

Let's not forget the colors, Sony got better now but it did not start with the A6000.

All that said, I would consider the Canon M50 or the Fujifilm X-T20, both under the $2000 budget
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2373 posts
930 upvotes
GTA
aerok wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:22 am
Don't let the numbers fool you, the Dual Pixel AF is IMHO superior to the AF in the A6000. Number of points don't matter if it has trouble locking on subject.
Perhaps you are right about Canon's Dual Pixel AF being superior - I'm just an enthusiast - not an expert. The A6000's system is no slouch though.

I did a quick Google search and found this 2018 review of the A6000. Just another person's opinion, I know, but interesting none the less. In part, this is what was said about the A6000's autofocus:

"Sony placed great emphasis on the focusing speed of the Sony a6000 when it was released, calling it the fastest autofocus in the world.
Whilst it’s hard to confirm this 4 years down the track, what I will say is that the AF on the a6000 is very impressive.
I usually shoot weddings with a Nikon D750, a DSLR 4-5x the price of this little Sony a6000, and I have to say that the AF on the Sony is actually faster (in good light at least)."

Here is a link to the review: https://shotkit.com/sony-a6000-review/

There are a lot of cameras out there - all with different features and price points.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1021 posts
312 upvotes
For someone new, I highly suggest getting into Fujifilm. I own the X-T1 and the X100T and they are both a joy to use. Everything about them are intuitive and clear with minimum of fiddling in the menu for changing basic stuffs, like AF-s to AF-c, there's a physical switch for that. Exposure comp? Yup, there's a dial just for that. Easy.

I also have the A6000 and I got it because I started with e-mount a couple years ago (Sony Nex-3) and have a few lenses sitting in the cabinet not doing anything. It is the worst in term of handling and UX for the menu. If you have only $500 for a camera, it is a great value, but if you do have $2k, get something better, you will have way more fun.
Jul 12, 2010
428 posts
66 upvotes
What are you main objectives? What type of photography you plan to do mostly?? stills / video?? hmm seems like any all in ones are out of the question as you seem to really want to interchangable lenses - which is a good thing just can be a slippery slop and money put /haha

2k is a nice budget for a starter enthusiast
Jun 16, 2017
2 posts
3 upvotes
I'm currently using an A7iii and it's great, but I'm not sure you'd be able to get one under $2000. I have heard that the A7Rii's have dropped quite a bit in price. My first mirrorless was a Fuji X-T20 and I really enjoyed that camera. I went to the A7iii cause I was doing a bit more night shooting and felt the full frame would be better in low light situations. One of the benefits to getting a cropped sensor camera is you'll save a lot on lenses, for example a lens that I had on my Fuji (55-200) cost me $900, whereas to get that same focal length in my full frame I'm looking at easily $1,500 :(
I would stay away from the Canon mirrorless cameras as the M100 and the M50 were not that well received (I'd recommend reading some reviews on dpreview, not only that, but they don't have many lenses for that particular mount (unless you want to spend more money on an adapter)
I would recommend Fuji, I have also seen some great images caught on the Olympus cameras.
Anyway my 2 cents.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
59 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
andy28 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 1:02 am
What are you main objectives? What type of photography you plan to do mostly?? stills / video?? hmm seems like any all in ones are out of the question as you seem to really want to interchangable lenses - which is a good thing just can be a slippery slop and money put /haha

2k is a nice budget for a starter enthusiast
Purely looking to shoot stills, and I'm staying away from point and shoot because I want the manual capabilities of a mirrorless/DSLR. I was leaning more towards a mirrorless because they seem to be on par in terms of technology as DSLRs now but they are infinitely more portable. I am looking to spend 2k in a body and maybe a lens or two, but yea, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Aug 1, 2010
919 posts
494 upvotes
Montreal
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 11:34 am
Purely looking to shoot stills, and I'm staying away from point and shoot because I want the manual capabilities of a mirrorless/DSLR. I was leaning more towards a mirrorless because they seem to be on par in terms of technology as DSLRs now but they are infinitely more portable. I am looking to spend 2k in a body and maybe a lens or two, but yea, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Oh 2k on the body alone. Then in that case, absolutely go for the Fujifilm X-T3. The most pleasant experience for shooting manual
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2373 posts
930 upvotes
GTA
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 11:34 am
If you are interested in "manual" shooting, you may want to eventually considering purchasing some vintage lenses. I've picked up a few (and the appropriate adapters which are available for most lens / mirrorless camera combinations for between $12 - $25). There are a lot of these lenses available on eBay, Kijiji, etc. - some of them are outstanding - all are fun to shoot with IMHO. If the camera you choose has "focus peaking" or something similar, it is actually easier to focus with these lenses today compared to the way it was years ago with the old film cameras.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
59 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
bvit6667 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 1:49 pm
If you are interested in "manual" shooting, you may want to eventually considering purchasing some vintage lenses. I've picked up a few (and the appropriate adapters which are available for most lens / mirrorless camera combinations for between $12 - $25). There are a lot of these lenses available on eBay, Kijiji, etc. - some of them are outstanding - all are fun to shoot with IMHO. If the camera you choose has "focus peaking" or something similar, it is actually easier to focus with these lenses today compared to the way it was years ago with the old film cameras.
Focus peaking is when it shows you on the digital screen what is in focus and what is not by highlighting certain things? Can you recommend a couple of cameras that have this feature? I will have to take a look at them!
Aug 1, 2010
919 posts
494 upvotes
Montreal
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:13 pm
Focus peaking is when it shows you on the digital screen what is in focus and what is not by highlighting certain things? Can you recommend a couple of cameras that have this feature? I will have to take a look at them!
They don't all have it but most Sony and most Fujis do.