Advice For Mirrorless for Newbie

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 1:57 pm
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:13 pm
Focus peaking is when it shows you on the digital screen what is in focus and what is not by highlighting certain things? Can you recommend a couple of cameras that have this feature? I will have to take a look at them!
The Canon M100 has this. You can choose Red, Yellow, or Blue. You press the shutter button halfway, then grab the focus ring and twist, and it auto magnifies the image something like 5x and whereever it is focussed, you see the selected colour show up. Blue seems to show up the best for this. The auto-magnification is really helpful for this.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2373 posts
930 upvotes
GTA
ksilk89 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:13 pm
Focus peaking is when it shows you on the digital screen what is in focus and what is not by highlighting certain things? Can you recommend a couple of cameras that have this feature? I will have to take a look at them!
aerok wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:14 pm
They don't all have it but most Sony and most Fujis do.
As aerok stated, I believe most of the Sony mirrorless do - I've used the A6000 and Nex6 and both do and they work pretty well. You have a choice of three levels of "peaking" and three different colours that the camera will show (what is in focus). Sounds like most Fujis do - perhaps others can chime in with information on Panasonic, Canon etc.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
Here's a video for it on the Canon M100:

I use AF+MF mode:

Nov 4, 2016
675 posts
384 upvotes
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:25 pm
The Canon M100 has this. You can choose Red, Yellow, or Blue. You press the shutter button halfway, then grab the focus ring and twist, and it auto magnifies the image something like 5x and whereever it is focussed, you see the selected colour show up. Blue seems to show up the best for this. The auto-magnification is really helpful for this.
On my EOS-M I just use that magnifying glass button to check the focus, adjust manually as needed. It is on the bottom right of the touch screen. But the EOS-M is the first generation of Canon mirrorless, so I am sure they use better methods now.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50667794

Last edited by CCHIPSS on Nov 26th, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4942 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
Decide on a platform based on its lens lineup, buy the cheapest decent body, and go out and shoot. At $2000, I'd spend at least half of that on lenses. Get a nice prime, plus one everyday zoom to start. Eg. If going with Sony's APS-C lineup, an A6000, a 35mm and a 16-70 Zeiss. All used of course!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4822 posts
266 upvotes
I wouldn't get anything on the EOS-M system. There are only 8 lenses available without an adapter. It also seems like Canon will probably abandon that mount since they came out with a new mount for their Full Frame mirrorless. I guess if you never intend to use anything other than the kit lens then it's okay. If you want to buy any lenses I would not recommend EOS-M
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2287 posts
691 upvotes
milhaus wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:05 am
Decide on a platform based on its lens lineup, buy the cheapest decent body, and go out and shoot. At $2000, I'd spend at least half of that on lenses. Get a nice prime, plus one everyday zoom to start. Eg. If going with Sony's APS-C lineup, an A6000, a 35mm and a 16-70 Zeiss. All used of course!
I'd argue for a complete newbie I wouldn't even spend a grand on the body. Get a nice second hand body (EM5, EM10-II, A6000 etc.) for $500 and dump the rest into lenses and/or classes.
Nov 4, 2016
675 posts
384 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:22 pm
I wouldn't get anything on the EOS-M system. There are only 8 lenses available without an adapter. It also seems like Canon will probably abandon that mount since they came out with a new mount for their Full Frame mirrorless. I guess if you never intend to use anything other than the kit lens then it's okay. If you want to buy any lenses I would not recommend EOS-M
They just released the 32mm F1.4 lens. Canon's problem was that they don't want their mirrorless to sabotage their own very successful DSLR business. But now it is obvious that mirrorless is the future.

Canon also thought people would buy the adaper if they needed more lens.

Nikon abandoned their 1 series because the senor size is too small. There is almost no reason to get a 1 vs a Sony RX100. A mirrorless would need to be at least 4/3, as even point and shoots are pushing toward 1 inch sensors. Cellphones will replace the old point and shoots.

I don't think the EOS-M is going anywhere. It uses APS-C, which is plenty enough for a mid-range mirrorless.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4822 posts
266 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 2:26 am
They just released the 32mm F1.4 lens. Canon's problem was that they don't want their mirrorless to sabotage their own very successful DSLR business. But now it is obvious that mirrorless is the future.

Canon also thought people would buy the adaper if they needed more lens.

Nikon abandoned their 1 series because the senor size is too small. There is almost no reason to get a 1 vs a Sony RX100. A mirrorless would need to be at least 4/3, as even point and shoots are pushing toward 1 inch sensors. Cellphones will replace the old point and shoots.

I don't think the EOS-M is going anywhere. It uses APS-C, which is plenty enough for a mid-range mirrorless.
I briefly owned a Canon M10 and it was a piece of sh*t. We sold it.
Nov 4, 2016
675 posts
384 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:07 am
I briefly owned a Canon M10 and it was a piece of sh*t. We sold it.
I am still using the old Canon M1 from back 2012, bought second handed. The biggest problem is it's focusing speed, which I do have to adjust manually. But I am fine with it for now, not ideal but usable.

One can buy the M100 kit brand new for $400 on Black Friday. Even an entry DSLR costs that much. It will be hard to argue that it isn't a good deal.

Don't know much about the M10, since I got into photography very recently at the M100 era. And there are lots of positive reviews on the M100.
Aug 20, 2018
49 posts
33 upvotes
Just wanted to add that I love my M100 + 32mm f/1.4 set up. It is very versatile. However, if you ever do any close ups or macro photography, you really ought to pick up a tripod. I thought I wouldn't need one, but if you even move a quarter inch forward and the image will be soft or even blurry because the depth of field really is THAT shallow. lol. You can get some Chinese Manfrotto's for cheap, they do the job and you probably won't need to shell out a lot more for the Italian Manfrotto's.