• Mar 22nd, 2019 1:01 pm
Tags:
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto

Advice on Mobo and CPU

Hey folks
So, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, but I've been out of the CPU/mobo game for a few years now.
Last PC I built was my Asus H97 Plus ITX and an intel 4790k. Just upgraded my GPU a couple months ago, so GPU is fine.

I'm seeing some slight lag now in my games and looking to upgrade.
I just did some light searching and have seen the Intel roadmap that the 10nm die process is coming at the end of this year....I'm all confused about Coffee Lake and Ice Lake, not sure which comes next or what's upcoming.

Can anyone suggest a chipset and cpu? Should I wait for end of the year? Also, not sure what is the latest chipset z390? And also can anyone tell me what the average RAM speed is now for DDR4? 2666?

Like I said, out of the game for about 5 years now....any help appreciated.
Oh, and not really interested in AMD....I built AMD for years and always had some issues. Ever since I moved to Intel, I've had rock solid builds.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
What gpu did you upgrade to? And what resolution do you play at ? I7 4790k is still very capable. Perhaps it's other part of your system ? Maybe even thermal throttle in small itx case
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote: What gpu did you upgrade to? And what resolution do you play at ? I7 4790k is still very capable. Perhaps it's other part of your system ? Maybe even thermal throttle in small itx case
I went from a AMD R9 290x to a Nvidia 1070ti.
It is very capable, I agree. To be honest, I am a little bit excited about just upgrading and building again.

It is in a small enclosure, but I'm trying to figure out why my Surface Book 2 w/1060 for some reason looks smoother turning to look at things vs. my 4790 w/1070ti in Witcher 3.
I mean it's not bad, just seems smoother on my laptop....maybe it's my TV vs laptop monitor?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
hshot_rooke wrote: I went from a AMD R9 290x to a Nvidia 1070ti.
It is very capable, I agree. To be honest, I am a little bit excited about just upgrading and building again.

It is in a small enclosure, but I'm trying to figure out why my Surface Book 2 w/1060 for some reason looks smoother turning to look at things vs. my 4790 w/1070ti in Witcher 3.
I mean it's not bad, just seems smoother on my laptop....maybe it's my TV vs laptop monitor?
is it a 4K tv? 1070ti will have a tough time doing smooth 4k when details are high
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
No, it's just a 1080p LCD. There really shouldn't be a problem with 1080 games.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2221 posts
1083 upvotes
Saint John
hshot_rooke wrote: No, it's just a 1080p LCD. There really shouldn't be a problem with 1080 games.
Could your TV be doing that 120Hz "smooth motion/true motion" or whatever the various TV brands call it? It's 60Hz-120Hz frame interpolation. Creates the soap opera effect on TV shows/movies, but it may make your game seem smoother (at the cost of input lag).

If I were you, I'd wait another generation to upgrade. 4/8 (core/thread) 4790K to 8/8 9700K or 6/12 8700K isn't going to be a dramatic upgrade. Rumours have Intel upping their game with possible mainstream desktop CPUs at 8/16, 10/10, or maybe even 10/20. Aside from core and thread count, Haswell IPC isn't much lower than Skylake (which has identical IPC to Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake since they're all the same CPU design). Newer CPUs do clock a bit better - in the 5GHz range compared to 4.5 for the 4790K.

If you have money to burn at this point (the tech expenditure itch, reviled by wives and GFs the world over), consider spending it on some other aspect of your system - a sweet monitor, bigger SSD, nice new case... something that you can carry over to a new build when the CPU upgrade options offer more of a jump up. Does your H97 board support M.2 NVMe? There have been some good deals lately on super-fast SSDs.
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
birthdaymonkey wrote: Could your TV be doing that 120Hz "smooth motion/true motion" or whatever the various TV brands call it? It's 60Hz-120Hz frame interpolation. Creates the soap opera effect on TV shows/movies, but it may make your game seem smoother (at the cost of input lag).

If I were you, I'd wait another generation to upgrade. 4/8 (core/thread) 4790K to 8/8 9700K or 6/12 8700K isn't going to be a dramatic upgrade. Rumours have Intel upping their game with possible mainstream desktop CPUs at 8/16, 10/10, or maybe even 10/20. Aside from core and thread count, Haswell IPC isn't much lower than Skylake (which has identical IPC to Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake since they're all the same CPU design). Newer CPUs do clock a bit better - in the 5GHz range compared to 4.5 for the 4790K.

If you have money to burn at this point (the tech expenditure itch, reviled by wives and GFs the world over), consider spending it on some other aspect of your system - a sweet monitor, bigger SSD, nice new case... something that you can carry over to a new build when the CPU upgrade options offer more of a jump up. Does your H97 board support M.2 NVMe? There have been some good deals lately on super-fast SSDs.
Yeah, I've turned my motionflow off on my Sony tv...maybe video card tweaks...or maybe I need new drivers. I'm still playing it...seems ok for now.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will wait for the new processors in 2020 then.

Hah,
*If you have money to burn at this point (the tech expenditure itch, reviled by wives and GFs the world over)*
I think this may be partly the reason why I want to upgrade!

I use my TV for gaming, already have a 27" good monitor that sits in the closet as most of my gaming is on the couch or on my laptop, have a really really nice ITX custom case....
I could use it for a new SSD...the board does have a M.2 slot, but unsure if it supports NVMe.... They're the same form factor, but different connectors correct?
I have a 500gb SSD and a 1TB 7200 in there, I could use a bigger OS drive.