Students

Advice Needed: 3-year or 4-year bachelor degree. Which to choose?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2011 8:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
93 upvotes

Advice Needed: 3-year or 4-year bachelor degree. Which to choose?

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a chem degree, and I'm debating whether to continue in my module for the honours degree, or graduate in 3 years with a double-minor (bio/chem) degree instead. I don't want to do graduate work (M.Sc.) but I would possibly like to apply for medical school, teacher's college or possibly law school in the future. I would also like to maybe teach english abroad for a year, and haven even entertained the notion of joining the armed forces as an officer. As you can see, I'm trying to keep my options open right now.

Is there any advantage for me to take a 4th year? If I do, I will have to take a bunch of mandatory credits that I will hate, but if I graduate in 3 years, the degree structure is much more flexible, allowing me to graduate with a much better GPA.

Advice needed.
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
93 upvotes
Also, if I'm applying for science jobs like a lab technician, or field technician, will having only 3 years hurt me? For example, would it put me on par with students who perhaps only had a college diploma?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
I think the problem is that most people are ignorant to the fact that there even exists 3 year degrees at the university level. Most people don't read their course calendars and just take for granted that the only degree available is an honours 4yr degree.

In fact, if you take a single Major, or two Minors you can graduate with 15.0 credits. So your question is a very good one, and I think for your purposes, there is no benefit to taking the 4th year, but you have to understand that everyone is brainwashed into thinking that university is 4 years, so you won't find much insight from people who probably went through their entire undergrad without even realizing they could have skipped a lot of the crappier courses and graduated in 3 years with a much higher GPA for entering professional programs.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
Keep in mind that some professional programs will not accept 3 years degrees and also a lot of jobs will take someone with a specialization instead of a "general" science degree.

Just my experience.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
It was my understanding that the most stringent professional programs require a degree (medical school) while most others (education, nursing, law, etc) only require between 1-2 years of university credits prior to admission.

I should think that a 3 year degree would meet the standards of all professional degrees. Neonlily, could I bother you to find me an example of a professional program that requires an honours degree as their minimum admission cutoff?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Dec 19, 2010
254 posts
15 upvotes
The 3 year degree program was phased out in 2002 at UofT. I suspect it was due to financial reasons since it brings more dough to the school and in return, you get an "Honours" attached to your degree. If I had the option to take a 3 year degree, I would have taken it in a heart beat. Why spend more money and time getting the same qualification.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
165 upvotes
My 2 cents

Keep in mind this is coming from a business student...

I highly recommend 4 year; even 5

That extra time allows me to space out my courses for maximum GPA potential and WORK EXPERIENCE

I rather take extra time to graduate and stack up my undergrad work experience than graduating quickly with mimimal work experience (I know way too many horror stories of business grads doing this and ending up in a bad, unemployed, situation)

I am also considering taking year or 2 longer to graduate to fit in more undergrad job/hiring opportunities
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
HTTP04 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 6:39 pm
My 2 cents

Keep in mind this is coming from a business student...

I highly recommend 4 year; even 5

That extra time allows me to space out my courses for maximum GPA potential and WORK EXPERIENCE

I rather take extra time to graduate and stack up my undergrad work experience than graduating quickly with mimimal work experience (I know way too many horror stories of business grads doing this and ending up in a bad, unemployed, situation)

I am also considering taking year or 2 longer to graduate to fit in more undergrad job/hiring opportunities

Ahh. Where were you when those fools were talking about graduating "on time" and kept saying that how taking more than 4 years of university will make you "late" for the work force. We could have used another rational voice in that thread.

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
All graduate programs (in university) require a 4 year degree. You never know, you might decide to apply for post-bachelors professional programs.
Must Read Books!

Dale Carneigie's How to win Friends & Influence People, Seth Godin's Purple Cow, Sun Tze's Art of War, Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince, Charles Darwin's The Orgin of Species, Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End and Eugene Kelly's Chasing Daylight.
Aug 30, 2011
333 posts
20 upvotes
Go for the 4 year degree, I say! When applying for professional grad school programs like PT, or professional 'undergrad' programs like law and medicine, those with four year honours degrees definitely have a leg up on those with general three year degrees.
Apr 29, 2011
710 posts
43 upvotes
Innisfil
Take 4 years and finish it in 5 like me. :)

You mentioned some very different paths; med school, law school...yea, take the extra year and gain some direction. Taking an extra year was the BEST thing I ever did.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
YoungDr3amer wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 8:55 pm
All graduate programs (in university) require a 4 year degree. You never know, you might decide to apply for post-bachelors professional programs.

No.. they most certainly do not. Most Master's programs do, but professional programs do not. The OP specifically said he doesn't want to pursue a Master's.

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
I stand corrected.
Must Read Books!

Dale Carneigie's How to win Friends & Influence People, Seth Godin's Purple Cow, Sun Tze's Art of War, Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince, Charles Darwin's The Orgin of Species, Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End and Eugene Kelly's Chasing Daylight.
Dec 24, 2007
439 posts
26 upvotes
London
For medical schools you'll certainly need at least 3 years of university study if you wish to stay in Ontario. Some schools specifically require a 4-year degree as a minimum requirement (e.g. UWO: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg534.html)

For other professions such as physiotherapy, some schools require you to do an additional year if you elected to graduate with a 3-year degree, essentially requiring you to do 4 years in total (this requirement is not enforced on those with 4-year degrees as they, well, already have 4 years under their belts). Example: McMaster's PT program http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Admissionsnb ... fault.aspx

Doing a 3-year degree certainly will not end your dreams of graduate or professional school, but do keep in mind that your options are more limited than those with 4 years. With such intense competition already for these coveted spots, you must consider your reasons for decreasing the competitiveness of your admissions profile. So, please, I urge you to do a bit more research into the programs before making your decision.

As for Syne, I would encourage you to please do a little bit more research before dispensing advice to unsuspecting seekers. It's one thing to give advice with good intentions, it's another to randomly dole out whatever you think is true and ask others to prove otherwise.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Dec 11th, 2011 6:35 pm
It was my understanding that the most stringent professional programs require a degree (medical school) while most others (education, nursing, law, etc) only require between 1-2 years of university credits prior to admission.

I should think that a 3 year degree would meet the standards of all professional degrees. Neonlily, could I bother you to find me an example of a professional program that requires an honours degree as their minimum admission cutoff?

Hm, well I'm from Manitoba. The Physician's Assistant Program requires a 4 year degree there as well as the Education program. So perhaps things are different there but that is why I took a 4 year. Also, 4 year programs are not regarded as honours at U of M. I have a 4 year B.Sc in Microbiology and it is not an honours.