Fashion & Beauty

Advice Needed: Down Parka

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 4:52 am
May 31, 2015
7 posts
3 upvotes

Advice Needed: Down Parka

I'm looking to buy a super warm down jacket. I'm looking for something on the longer side (knee length or longer). I want it to be at least 90% down. Goose down is obviously preferred but duck down is okay.

It MUST be made in Canada.... Or the US or Italy or somewhere where quality merchandise is produced.

Now I know everyone is thinking Canada Goose but I would just like to stay away from them if possible. Everyone is wearing them these days!

I'm always cold so I really want something that will keep me super warm.

What down parka brands should I be looking at?

Thank you so much!!!
9 replies
May 31, 2015
7 posts
3 upvotes
I'm looking to buy a super warm down jacket. I'm looking for something on the longer side (knee length or longer). I want it to be at least 90% down. Goose down is obviously preferred but duck down is okay.

It MUST be made in Canada.... Or the US or Italy or somewhere where quality merchandise is produced.

Now I know everyone is thinking Canada Goose but I would just like to stay away from them if possible. Everyone is wearing them these days!

I'm always cold so I really want something that will keep me super warm.

Thank you so much!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
ElenaT06 wrote: I'm looking to buy a super warm down jacket. I'm looking for something on the longer side (knee length or longer). I want it to be at least 90% down. Goose down is obviously preferred but duck down is okay.

Thank you so much!!!
Look at Quartz Co.

Here's an overview of some of the Canadian Made brands
http://altitude-blog.com/en/canadian-made-winter-coats
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
ElenaT06 wrote: Yes, it is a brand I'm considering for sure - my only concern is if 650 fill power will be warm enough?
Fill power measures the amount that the down expands, but you can't look at the fill power number by itself. You have to look at the amount of down too (which is not usually specified by the manufacturer)

As an example: A jacket with 500 fill power and 10 oz. of down will be warmer than a 800 fill power jacket with 5 oz. of down.

There are so many other factors that determine how warm a jacket is. For example, if tjhere are ways to drawstrings to tighten up the fit to make it more airtight and the way the jacket is constructed with better distribution of down. I have two jackets, both with 600 fill power, but one jacket has really low amounts of down in the arms so my arms feel cold.

Anyway I tried the Quartz ones in the store and they feel very substantial, they are definitely on the warm side and I would gladly pay the $$ for one if I needed a super warm jacket (they are priced similarly to Canada Goose but do get discounted somewhat)
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
May 31, 2015
7 posts
3 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Fill power measures the amount that the down expands, but you can't look at the fill power number by itself. You have to look at the amount of down too (which is not usually specified by the manufacturer)

As an example: A jacket with 500 fill power and 10 oz. of down will be warmer than a 800 fill power jacket with 5 oz. of down.

There are so many other factors that determine how warm a jacket is. For example, if tjhere are ways to drawstrings to tighten up the fit to make it more airtight and the way the jacket is constructed with better distribution of down. I have two jackets, both with 600 fill power, but one jacket has really low amounts of down in the arms so my arms feel cold.

Anyway I tried the Quartz ones in the store and they feel very substantial, they are definitely on the warm side and I would gladly pay the $$ for one if I needed a super warm jacket (they are priced similarly to Canada Goose but do get discounted somewhat)
Thank you! Maybe I will try contacting Quartz Co. to see what the amount of down is.
Dec 20, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
yep i read the beginning of the thread and was thinking of also suggesting quartz before catching the suggestion. i too, dreaded buying a CG. Plus since they got bought, they are even further mass produced and got hit w/ the typical up market gimmick whereby they over price what seems like their original models, then allow artificially created 'room' at the bottom and middle for new jackets to come in, (like apple iphones w/ the X, or how the BMW 3 and 5 series got fatter bigger and heavier, allowed for the 1series and 2 series to come in). with less features that you're SUPPOSED to get, for the money. CG jackets from 6 yrs, and older, would have more features, for less money.

Not saying Quartz has more features for the money, i didnt do that much research when i bought my quartz, the collaborative edition with a Japanese design house (I forget which one) but I am happy with my french canadian Quartz and it's warm as heck. Keep in mind, it doesn't keep you warm first you have to build up heat, just that these jackets retain the heat you generate.... so they feel warmer after a 20 min walk. But properly fitted, it does block WIND from biting in nicely.
Dec 10, 2017
17 posts
11 upvotes
Quartz typically offers 650 Fill power through out all jackets - the down is White Canadian Duck down sourced from the Hutterites region here in Canada. Most coats are -30 rated throughout the collection other than their true Expedition coat (Vostok) which is -50.

Their coat are very light to wear, they don't look or feel like a heavy outdoors parka, yet exceptionally warm. Further all their coats are machine washable. The young brothers who own the company are engineers by trade, thus are very detailed, design and performance minded when it comes to their coats.

For a Made in Canada coat - it is bar none the best value and best quality imo. They are selling in 20 countries now and there are quite a few retailers here in the GTA carrying the collection as per there website:

https://quartz-co.com/blogs/journal/whe ... nd-toronto

Hope this helps, I am quite familiar with the brand thus if you have further questions.....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)