Tags:
None
Mar 6, 2005
84 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary

Advice needed on SEARS-O-PEDIC 3971SS Tight Top Mattress

Hi All,

I've never had to purchase a new mattress before so I'm just checking out my options right now. We went to Sears and really liked the 3971SS nxg mattress. It has a layer of memory foam on top of independent pocket coils. Does anyone have any experience with this mattress? Also I was told that this particular model is made by Simmons, but it's branded Sears-O-Pedic...does Simmons make mattresses for Sears? Would it be any different than the nxg models listed on the Simmons website? (the models look different from the pictures). Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
I think it's Sealy who makes the Sears Opedic mattress not Simmons. Either way both Sealy and Simmons are reputable makers.
It's hard to directly compare mattresses from one store to the next because the manufacturers purposely alter little details and fabrics to make it near impossible unless you write everything down about each one and take your notes to the next store, then ask them to show you which one they have matches what you've got written down because the mattress name and model numbers will be different. The mattress may be identical inside except for the fabric covering.
Bottom line,, you have to spend time trying them out to see what you like, not just a few seconds trying each one out,, at least 5 minutes per mattress just lying on it to see how it conforms to your body. Especially ones with memory foam in them. I think alot of people are sort of embarassed to lay there on the beds in a department store but who really cares.
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. Proverbs 17;28
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
84 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the advice! Ended up going back tonight to lay on the mattress for a while and I think it's a bit too firm for my liking. I asked the salesperson and the mattress is indeed made by Simmons but is exclusive to Sears hence the re-branding. The search continues!
Sep 3, 2007
605 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
Every mattress is exclusive to that store!!

I have been shopping for one for a while now and can't compare one store to another at all, even the the small mom & pop shops have exclusive mattress by the same manufactures.

I like one at Brick, but not sure if I want to do business with them due to their return policy. I like one at Sleep Country, but not sure if I want to do business with them either, due to their price policy. Just read some threads on this forum and some people have paid twice as much as the other guy for the same mattress.

Good luck with your search.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
84 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks...The one I like best so far is the Regeneration Sensia Smooth Top at Sleep Country. I put a deposit down because the salesman knocked a bunch of money off the retail price so it seemed like a pretty good deal but after reading these forums it looks like I could probably get the price down a bit more...I'll go back tonight and see what I can do.
May 25, 2010
3 posts
Vancouver
The sales guys in Sears suggested Sears-O-pedic Broadway III with Tight top to me. It is on-sale for $999.99 as listed on the flyer. Is it a good price?
I tried to negotiate but he said that's the sales price already. Reg price is $1899. I have never purchased a mattress or any furnitures from Sears. Any suggestion?

It is made by Simmons with the NON-FLIP® Pocket Coil. It feels good, with 1000 coils and soft top even though it is tight top.
× < >