• Oct 18th, 2014 6:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa

Advice for new cookware

I am looking to buy a few new pieces of cookware as the pots/pans that I have are about 25 years old. My mom purchased a set for me as a gift for when I moved into my new home with my future husband. Well, there is no husband but I did purchase my own home a few years ago! lol. I don't use many of the pots/pans there were part of the set as I don't like them, and I find that with the few pieces that I do use, they don't cook well on my gas stove. I have been doing a lot of research on-line, and learning a lot about the different types of cookware. It's been quite overwhelming but there seems to be so much information! There's all clad, tri-ply, cast iron, aluminium, copper, stainless steel, non-stick (which seems to get a bad rap). I thought non-stick was a good thing. I guess it depends how you cook! I also learned of lines from Le Creuset, Staub, Paderno (which looks like a beautiful set, and it's made in Canada!), and Cuisinart, which is also really nice.

I was in Home Sense today, and noticed Lagostina, and Cuisinart. I held a few of the pots in my hand to get a feel for them, and see how heavy and comfortable they were. I really liked the Cuisinart but when I turned it over, it said it was made in China. I was disappointed as I didn't want anything made in China. I then picked up a few pieces from Lagostina, and they were comfortable. I liked the style, handle and design. I believe it's the Lagostina Impact Copper 5-ply. They had the saucepan and Dutch oven with cover. The 14 cm saucepan is $29.99 (reg. $50.00), 16cm saucepan is $34.99 (reg. $60.00), and Dutch oven $59.99 (reg. $100.00). They look good but I did notice a few scratches on the Dutch oven lid, and light black stains/streaks (?) around the top and bottom rim of the saucepan. They are not very obvious but when you are examining the, you notice it. I only mention this because I'm concerned that if I were to buy these pieces, they would easily scratch, or be damaged in some other way. This is what they look like:
http://www.lagostina.ca/images/costco%2 ... %20(1).jpg

I also saw Le Creuset. They were packaged in an orange box. I saw a few other Le Creuset pieces but they were not in a box, and when I looked at the bottom, it said, made in China. I'm guessing that these are not 'real' Le Creuset? The pieces in the box were from France but they looked very identical.

What do you think about the Lagostina pieces from Home Sense? It does not state where they were made although I have a Lagostina pot that was my mom's. She gave it to me when I moved out, and there is a sticker still on it that says "Made in Italy". I'm not sure if the Lagostina pieces from Home Sense or Winners are legitimate, or not.

I saw the Paderno set online via Costco. The reviews were positive, and the people who bought them are happy with them. I also went on the Paderno site, and they have some too good to be true specials. I sometimes wonder how something that cost $1199.00 now costs $279.99! I have noticed this not only with Paderno but with the other lines of cookware that I mentioned.
https://paderno.com/shop/14pc-canadiana-cookware-set/

I have read great things about Le Crueset and would like to add a piece to my kitchen. I’m just not sure which one. I like the square griddle as I could grill fish and veggies, or the Dutch oven to cook tomato sauce, and soups.

A bit about me. I grew up in an Italian household so I learned to cook at home (from scratch). However, with that being said, I'm not an expert in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking (when I do), and am learning to prepare new recipes especially for friends, and family. I enjoy cooking for others, and learning new recipes including curry, Thai, and Asian cuisine. I love making pasta dishes but don't cook them often; mostly when I cook for others. I like to make healthy dishes such fish (salmon, trout, cod), greens, hearty soups (barley vegetable), squashes, etc. I eat eggs (scrambled, sunny side up, boiled) but I don't eat meat. I also make pancakes once in a while, and some baking. I don’t bake as much as I used to! I leave that to my mom. I enjoy the more traditional Italian baked goods that she prepares.

Thank you for your input.

P.S. I just saw this on the Canadian Tire site. It had positive reviews. What do you think? I read that most people prefer not to buy 'sets' and to buy one piece at a time, and to add to your collection over time but this seems like a good set.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lagos ... DhD091zbmI
24 replies
Aug 23, 2011
620 posts
252 upvotes
You don't have to buy a set. Look at what kind of pots and pans you need. Also add the AllClad brand on your list to research. Some people say it's overpriced, but they do make a difference in the taste.

I bought the 10 piece set and i only seem to use 2-3 of them. I find that cheap non-stick is ok for skillets, you can buy and replace them every year.
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
I appreciate your input. I understand that I don't need to buy a set since most people don't use all of the pieces.
However, with that being said, I did you have a look at the last link? It's a mix of pots/pans including a cast iron Dutch oven from Lagostina. It looks like pieces that I would use, and replace the old pieces that I have now.
Thanks for the information regarding non-stick for skillets.
Mar 24, 2013
135 posts
21 upvotes
North Battleford
TL;DR

Many recommend against sets. Always seems to be a few unneeded pieces.

Every cook in every kitchen is different. ie I dont not own a fish pan but do own clay bakeware.

Google some combo of essential, needed, basic, starter and cookware,bakeware,kitchen, pots ect

I seen a few good threads on the subject and a few videos.

I found a few nice pieces at winners. Many big names have online sales a few times a year(still pricey).

Treated right cast iron is nonstick and offers very even heat.

Teflon is hard to make pan gravey. Lol

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/equi ... -pans.html
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
I have a cheapee Lagostina set from Sears (ie: probably around $200 on sale as it was a shower gift) that has done me well through a regular and induction stovetop. I sometimes wish I had one more small saucepan (set came with ~2L, ~3L and ~5L pots) but my set is a brute when it comes to abuse: dishwasher no problem, cheese sauce caked on no problem, etc.
For pans, I use mineral steel, in an attempt to avoid the non-stick coatings. Same principle as cast iron, just a little lighter. Also work on induction. The brand I have is DeBuyer, and after 2 years of seasoning they do scrambled eggs as well as a non-stick pan. I confess, I do have a Le Creuset non-stick crepe pan which I only use for crepes and pancakes.
Here is a good resource for research: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/cookware/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
Look for heavy bottomed pots. You can sometimes find Lagostinas at crappy tire that are really nice quality for pretty cheap. Paderno's used to be really good, I'm not so sure anymore. Forget All-Clad, over priced and, despite what some say, your food won't taste any better.

If you're in the GTA, try Caynes, you can usually assemble a pretty decent collection there without having to wait for specials.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
Toukolou wrote: If you're in the GTA, try Caynes, you can usually assemble a pretty decent collection there without having to wait for specials.
I second a visit to Cayne's if you can manage it. For what you'd pay for that set at Canadian Tire, you could put together a decent set of pots you're actually going to use.

I have a 18-year-old Lagostina set that I love and use (wedding present) but all my newer pans have come from Cayne's - I'm a huge Green Pan fan to be honest - so easy to clean, heat well, even distribution, etc.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
I have some Kitchen Aide pots that have heavy bottoms , nice to cook with compared to Lagostina not so nice.
I find cast iron frying pans the best to use and hardly ever use any of my others including the Paderno I have.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Unless you go to All Clad, Kuhn Rikon or Le Creuset, almost all brands come from China, including Lagostina. I find the quality of current Lagostina just as good or better than their Italian products. Winners or Home Sense is a good choice for mix and match. The Creuset type of cast iron with porcelain coating is prone to scorching, but great for the oven.

Green ceramic pans are fine for everyday frying and sauteing. They are 2 for $40 at Costco, slightly more at RCSS.

Buy cast iron at garage sales when you are ready for them. They are quirky, but last forever.

The Lagostina set you mention is from China. It is pricey but nice. The copper clad items put the price up, and are only superior when finishing sauces or delicate sautees. Compare this set with the $200 sets at Costco, or a few mix and match from Home Sense - Winners.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
Isabella36 wrote: I appreciate your input. I understand that I don't need to buy a set since most people don't use all of the pieces.
However, with that being said, I did you have a look at the last link? It's a mix of pots/pans including a cast iron Dutch oven from Lagostina. It looks like pieces that I would use, and replace the old pieces that I have now.
Thanks for the information regarding non-stick for skillets.
That's the first time I've seen a set that mixes the types of pots and pans. That said, I still don't think you would use them all - hate to admit that I gave away my copper bottom pots as I just didn't use them. I like mix and match and have put my collection together by buying the best I can afford one piece at a time. It's paid off - I have Le Creuset dutch ovens that I bought 29 years ago that I still use multiple times a week.
(Eatons was discontinuing carrying Le Creuset at the time so I bought a bunch of pieces on clearance, the most expensive was my 6.7 litre dutch oven for $35. Should have bought more sigh....)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I don't know about most of you, but all of my pans come from a restaurant supply store.
They're dirt cheap, built for tough environments, and are sold by the piece.

I don't even own lids for any of my pans since I have a pizza pan that doubles as a lid.

My pans are over 10 years old and besides a little darkening on the bottom and rivets, they're still in perfect condition.
The best part? The pan costs me $20.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
When I bought my set I was looking for particular sizes and Kirkland had what I wanted. I did some reviews and decided to buy them and I love them. I've had them about 5 years now and they still look like the day I bought them.

I do have other pieces and I must say every serious cook needs a Le Creuset French oven, I have a 4 and a 6qt. And yes, they should be made in France. I also have a couple ceramic coated frying pans, non stick and can be used at a high temp, use these practically daily.

Do not buy any cookware at Canadian Tire. Yes they have the name brands, but they are a lower quality made just for that store. You will not see the same sets in other stores.
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks everyone for your input. Since it's Thanksgiving weekend, I have been busy, and didn't have a chance to get on here.
I will take my time buying pieces that I need vs buying a big set whereby not all of the pieces will be used, and just sit in my cupboard for the next 20+ years.
I didn't realize that the cookware from Canadian Tire was of lower quality since the brand names were available there. I just assumed that it was just as good however it makes sense now when I see a set that was regularly $1199 being sold for $249.
I have a cast iron pan that I bought many years ago but forgot all about it until I was cleaning/de-cluttering my kitchen on day. I seasoned it, and cooked salmon in it that night. It was amazing! It was so good! lol. I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, can you cook things such as scrambled eggs, and pancakes in the pan? Any I read that cast iron pans are not to be soaked in water, or washed with soap so how do you get rid of the flavour of the last food item you cooked before cooking something else, i.e., cook salmon night before and next morning I want to make pancakes for instance.
I saw some Le Creuset pieces at my local Winners. I believe the 5.5 qt Chili Red Dutch Oven is $199.99, 3.5 qt. Harmonic Blue Shallow Casserole/Braiser for $179.99 and a 2 qt. Chili Red Square Skillet Grill for $99.99. I thought of purchasing the skillet as I could cooked veggies with this pan including zucchini, eggplant, etc. I'm wondering if the Dutch Oven will get much use as I'm single and don't always cook big meals. It's a beautiful piece but I think the only thing I would use it for is cooking tomato sauce and hearty soups during the winter such as veggie barley and squash. I read that the brasier is used for cooking meats but can it be used for anything else? Could I use it for cooking tomato sauce (or any other type of sauce) in it and then toss my pasta in it?
What do you think of the prices? I thought $200 seemed still expensive for the Dutch Oven. Someone mentioned that they purchased one at Eaton's (I miss that store) as they were being discontinued, and purchased a Dutch Oven for $35!! Wow. That's an amazing price.
During my research, I did read that restaurant supply stores are great for purchasing cookware but I don't know any. I will check out Caynes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Soapy water will remove the seasoning in a CI pan. Instead,just use hot water and a brush, then towel dry. Your CI is good for anything except acidic food like tomatoes.

You can find $50 stainless steel casseroles at Winners, and that will be fine for your purposes.

The LC red skillet may be good for you, but you will have to use PAM when pan frying, because it is prone to sticking. The 'green' ceramic pans are pretty good if they have a heavy bottom.

There is another French CI company, Staub, that is better IMHO than LC. Hard to find but Williams in Windsor has them, online http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca/sho ... 10365.html

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
I didn't know All Clad was so highly regarded

For cleaning CI, do it when the pan is still ripping hot. Dump a bit of kosher salt into the bottom and a small layer of water into it which will sizzle. Wipe with disposable paper towel, and dry thoroughly. preferably in the oven.. very simple. no soap.
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
All of my pieces are Le Crueset. BUT, they are super expensive and built them one by one, depending on what I needed. I bought almost all from the Bay and have enabled cast iron pieces, as well as a stainless steel pan and 2 Teflon fry pans from them. Am happy with everything but find I use the SS piece the least. The cast iron pieces are the best.

The Bay purchases were on sale with extra 15% off for using the bay card. One piece I found on clearance at less than $100 online. I snagged it right away. Stainless I found in the clearance section at the bay, just out of the blue. In store clearances vary, so check out your local bay regularly. My fry pans I got through Amazon because it was a lot cheaper than what the Bay was offering.

If you're not picky about colour or having a full set, chose your pieces one by one. I have a Le Crueset saucier pan that I use for practically everything.

I never buy them from Winners. Reasons are: 1. They are seconds. It says that on them. This doesnt mean used, but something is not right about the piece to go to department stores. 2. Prices aren't too different when the bay puts them on sale.

Good luck! Youll never know unless you try/buy but always look for a thick piece. You can tell buy the heaviness of a pan and the sides and base. This is why I tend not to buy those big logastina sets. I've seen my mum go through tons of them. Cast iron, if kept well, will definitely last you a lifetime.
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
jayt90 wrote: Green ceramic pans are fine for everyday frying and sauteing. They are 2 for $40 at Costco, slightly more at RCSS.

Buy cast iron at garage sales when you are ready for them. They are quirky, but last forever.
What are green ceramic pans? I Googled it but came up with varying results. Do you have a link for the 2 for $40 at Costco? Are they on their website?

I have a cast iron pan which I have only used once. Can you use them to make pancakes, French toast, etc.?
Dec 31, 2008
184 posts
4 upvotes
Oshawa
toodlepip wrote: All of my pieces are Le Crueset. BUT, they are super expensive and built them one by one, depending on what I needed. I bought almost all from the Bay and have enabled cast iron pieces, as well as a stainless steel pan and 2 Teflon fry pans from them. Am happy with everything but find I use the SS piece the least. The cast iron pieces are the best.
If you're not picky about colour or having a full set, chose your pieces one by one. I have a Le Crueset saucier pan that I use for practically everything.

I never buy them from Winners. Reasons are: 1. They are seconds. It says that on them. This doesnt mean used, but something is not right about the piece to go to department stores. 2. Prices aren't too different when the bay puts them on sale.

Good luck! Youll never know unless you try/buy but always look for a thick piece. You can tell buy the heaviness of a pan and the sides and base. This is why I tend not to buy those big logastina sets. I've seen my mum go through tons of them. Cast iron, if kept well, will definitely last you a lifetime.
The Le Crueset piece that was at Winners - harmonic blue braiser was $179.99. I looked online and the same one I looked at costs $495 online at The Bay!
It did say it was made in France and it was packaged in the Le Crueset orange box unlike some of the other pieces I saw so I assume that they are legitimate pieces? I didn't notice a 'seconds' on it. I had a regular white price tag with Winners price and compared it to what it would cost ie. $300.

I often wondered where everything comes from that is sold at Winners or Home Sense. I thought they were left over pieces or mix/match that were not able to be sold in department stores, and sent to Winners/Home Sense to be sold at discounted prices. So does that mean that the designer labels sold at Winners/Marshals are not real and knock offs?

The Lagostina pieces (3 pots) that I picked up at Home Sense are heavy. Even the smaller sizes. I haven't decided if I will keep one, and return the others, or return them all! I was excited to buy them as they are really nice but after reading the feedback, I realize that I may not need all of them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Isabella36 wrote: What are green ceramic pans? I Googled it but came up with varying results. Do you have a link for the 2 for $40 at Costco? Are they on their website?

I have a cast iron pan which I have only used once. Can you use them to make pancakes, French toast, etc.?
The pans at Costco are in store.. no link. I don't remember which brand they are but they are fairly light, I personally would not buy them, I like something with a heavier bottom.

I bought my 4qt Le Crueset French oven at homesense and all that is wrong with it is there is a tiny little blip on the outside where the enamel did not cover. Does not do anything to the cooking ability of the pan. And it was 1/2 the price.
That's my 2cents worth
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
Isabella36 wrote: I often wondered where everything comes from that is sold at Winners or Home Sense. I thought they were left over pieces or mix/match that were not able to be sold in department stores, and sent to Winners/Home Sense to be sold at discounted prices. So does that mean that the designer labels sold at Winners/Marshals are not real and knock offs?
I worked at a company that sold their extra stock, or past season things to Winners at a huge discount, so I don't think Winners buys knock offs. Their buyers have huge power because they buy a ton of stuff at once. It's probably just a little thing, like the blue colour is very slighty off, or its chipped a little.

The other thing I wanted to mention is when you said you saw some Le Crueset that said "made in China". That is their stoneware, not cast iron. Their stoneware pieces (cheaper baking dishes, ramekins, etc) are made in China. Still good. I bought a set from winners and use them sometimes, but can't compare to the Emile Henry pieces I have.