• Apr 4th, 2017 10:47 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1518 posts
703 upvotes
Victoria

Advice for a phone ~$100?

At the end of 2015 I bought my wife a prepaid ZTE Grand X2 for $109 from PC Mobile, unlocked it for a few bucks, and put it on a Public Mobile plan. She's been very happy with it and it's been a great phone for the price.

Fast forward to now and I'm looking for phones for my kids. I'd probably like to do something similar with a similar prepaid or unlocked phone on Public Mobile, though I'm not set on that course if there are better options (work pays for my phone but with my wife and 2 kids maybe a family plan somewhere is better?). I'm curious what the current go to phone might be in the $100 or better price range with similar or more current specs to the ZTE Grand X2.

Any input would be appreciated.
10 replies
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
98 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
If you don't mind buying used then Iphone 5c is around that price and a good phone.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
We just got our kids Moto G Play phones, they have been on sale for around $140-150 with Best Buy and Loblaws recently. They're cheap to unlock too. I'm unfamiliar with the phone you have got, but these phones seem to be working out well for us.
Oct 28, 2016
117 posts
20 upvotes
If you are looking for new smartphone then Xiaomi is good option. Otherwise you should look for any used phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
wirebound wrote: We just got our kids Moto G Play phones, they have been on sale for around $140-150 with Best Buy and Loblaws recently. They're cheap to unlock too. I'm unfamiliar with the phone you have got, but these phones seem to be working out well for us.
+1

Moto G4 Play can't be beaten in this price range
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
Moto G4 Play is refurbished :)
May be BLU R1 HD or BLU Life Max @ amazon.ca (~$150)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
RobertL130 wrote: Moto G4 Play is refurbished :)
May be BLU R1 HD or BLU Life Max @ amazon.ca (~$150)
??

Telus prepaid version goes on sale for $139 brand new every couple of weeks at bestbuy.
PC prepaid version is also $129-149 brand new
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
RFDQ1016 wrote: ??

Telus prepaid version goes on sale for $139 brand new every couple of weeks at bestbuy.
PC prepaid version is also $129-149 brand new
sry, I mean the unlock version @ bestbuy
Sep 7, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
Walmart has a Koodo LG G5 for $0 down / $360 on tab medium (or $120 down / $240 on tab small). Bonus gift of a $200 gift card for either, and if you use the Koodo refer-a-friend program you'll save $25 on top of that. Stick with Koodo for three months and after that you can pay off your tab, unlock the phone, and transfer it to whatever carrier you want. Factoring in the gift card and referral credit, it's $135 plus taxes and unlocking fee. Seems like a great deal for a very respectable phone.
Jan 11, 2017
31 posts
25 upvotes
notam2 wrote: Walmart has a Koodo LG G5 for $0 down / $360 on tab medium (or $120 down / $240 on tab small). Bonus gift of a $200 gift card for either, and if you use the Koodo refer-a-friend program you'll save $25 on top of that. Stick with Koodo for three months and after that you can pay off your tab, unlock the phone, and transfer it to whatever carrier you want. Factoring in the gift card and referral credit, it's $135 plus taxes and unlocking fee. Seems like a great deal for a very respectable phone.
When you factor in $28x3 months for the plan plus the $10 sim card you have to buy that's another $100 on top of the $135. The G5 is a way better phone no doubt but not what the OP is looking for.
*Actually a couple posters did the math and it's $288 with taxes in Your text to link here...

Still voting for G4 Play or possibly a Huawei GR5 if you can buy one off an RFDer who signed up for Zoomer and is looking to flip it.
Sep 7, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
JunkyardDog wrote: When you factor in $28x3 months for the plan plus the $10 sim card you have to buy that's another $100 on top of the $135. The G5 is a way better phone no doubt but not what the OP is looking for.
*Actually a couple posters did the math and it's $288 with taxes in Your text to link here...

Still voting for G4 Play or possibly a Huawei GR5 if you can buy one off an RFDer who signed up for Zoomer and is looking to flip it.
I think it depends on if the OP needs to buy cell service anyways (and it sounds like he does). If he buys a G4 Play for $140-150 (plus tax) and buys three months of pre-paid cell service on top of that, he could easily be over the $288 mark. For the same price, or very close to it, he can get a G5 through Koodo then port to any other carrier after the three months is up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)