Advice Regarding at No Fault Accident

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 8:17 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes

Advice Regarding at No Fault Accident

So yesterday evening, my car was parked on the side of the street. When I got out of the home, I saw a police car with lights on and a car hooked up to the tow truck. As I got closer towards my car, a police officer came up to me, said my car was involved in an accident. A 75 year old lady was trying to avoid hitting something instead she crashed into my parked car. Her car's all airbags came out when I looked at her car. My car was in brand new condition, its Honda Civic 2017. However now there is damage to the back. When I called my insurance, they said I would be at no fault as clearly I was not even there when she hit my car. However the insurance company wants me to choose if I want the car to go to one of their authorized body shops or my own selected body shop. I am all new to this. So I was wondering which route is better to go based on your past experiences. As I know that insurance company body shop will look to save the money for the insurance company and might do cheaper repairs on my new car. I live in Mississauga, my insurance company is The Personal. Her insurance company is All State.
Images
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
  • thumbnail_image3.jpg
  • thumbnail_image4.jpg
  • thumbnail_image5.jpg
  • thumbnail_image6.jpg
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4370 posts
2967 upvotes
GTA
Find a highly recommended shop and take it there. Sorry about your bad luck.

That looks like pretty severe damage. Looks like maybe 2 wheels/tire may be damaged, the suspension at each of those corners likely need replacing, tons of body work new bumper and bumper supports, one new door. That rear fender is part of the one piece body side, so I guess they'll have to cut out the damage and weld in new metal. I wouldn't be surprised if repairs are $8-12k. If it wasn't a new car it might be a write off. Will probably take many weeks to repair.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7439 posts
649 upvotes
Burlington
when you deal with the insurance companies preferred shop, they will guarantee the work being done on your vehicle. If you take it to your shop of choice, which you have all rights to do so, the insurance company does not guarantee any of that work, any issues with the shop, you're on your own.
rfd049 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:30 am
So yesterday evening, my car was parked on the side of the street. When I got out of the home, I saw a police car with lights on and a car hooked up to the tow truck. As I got closer towards my car, a police officer came up to me, said my car was involved in an accident. A 75 year old lady was trying to avoid hitting something instead she crashed into my parked car. Her car's all airbags came out when I looked at her car. My car was in brand new condition, its Honda Civic 2017. However now there is damage to the back. When I called my insurance, they said I would be at no fault as clearly I was not even there when she hit my car. However the insurance company wants me to choose if I want the car to go to one of their authorized body shops or my own selected body shop. I am all new to this. So I was wondering which route is better to go based on your past experiences. As I know that insurance company body shop will look to save the money for the insurance company and might do cheaper repairs on my new car. I live in Mississauga, my insurance company is The Personal. Her insurance company is All State.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15904 posts
4752 upvotes
Ottawa
Pick your preferred shop.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41014 posts
9910 upvotes
Is it leased or financed?

At what point is it declared a write off? Some insurance cos. offer replacement value for the first five years. Shouldn't they pay for repairs and the the depreciation resulting from the acccident.

Sorry to hear about the incident OP and hopefully the other driver avoided hitting a person instead of a rodent. I would not swerve for a raccoon if I was traveling more than 40 km/h.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2391 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
I would take it to your dealership and get all original OEM parts replaced if any. Nice of your insurance to ask where you want your vehicle to fixed be at, usually they give hard time if you want your car sent elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1267 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I havent been keeping up to date on who the good shops are but I think 427 auto has a pretty long history of being a well regarded shop
Jul 31, 2016
285 posts
155 upvotes
Brutal. First take it to the dealership to have them assess the damage and give you a quote for the work that needs to be done. Then find out which body shop you want to take it to. Have the dealership fix any mechanical problems, and let the bodyshop do the other stuff.

Good luck. Remember to get compensated for loss of use of your vehicle. Since its 100% not at fault, you can get a rental for 2 weeks +2-3 days from your insurance company.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4687 posts
426 upvotes
Don't whatever you do take it to Lyons Auto body. Approved shop or not they all work off the Mitchell system so they are pretty much going to use the same parts. Approved shops are cheaper for insurers because they usually don't charge storage, will be able to do work with having an appraiser attend and generally faster claims experience, you'll also be supported by insurance Co if there are any issues ( as there was recently with my GFs car) if you chose your own and have issues you are on your own. As a previous auto adjuster I would go preffered shop route.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Jul 25, 2015
371 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Damn that sucks. I'd take it to a dealership if its all being covered under insurance.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
@alanbrenton It is financed for 5 years, I am still close to the end of year one only.

How would I argue with them in regards to the depreciation of the car's value because of this accident as it would now be considered a accidental car instead of a new car?

From what I heard it was for a rodent, Plus the Police officer did not issue any ticket to the driver. The lady was asking the police officer if she will be able to drive? The police officer responded I havent put anything on your record from my side as I still believe you can drive.
Last edited by rfd049 on Nov 7th, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
@TicoGato I did call the dealership, the person who sold me the car. But instead he provided me his dad's number apparently his dad run's a body shop. But his dad wanted me to get the car towed first without notifying my insurance company. So I found that fishy. I did google research for sometime, went with 427 Auto Collision.
Last edited by rfd049 on Nov 7th, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
@6mthatch Yes after doing some research I went with 427 auto collision.
Last edited by rfd049 on Nov 7th, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
@rb Surprisingly enough the tow truck driver that towed other lady's car, was saying he can help me. He gave me the card for Lyons body shop. He was like I can get it towed their right now. As I did not want to make a fast decision, I took the card and told him I will call him later after giving it a thought. After coming home when I did some research about the shop, I read same reviews as you are mentioning. So thank god for that.
Last edited by rfd049 on Nov 7th, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 5, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
New pics taken during daytime of the damage.
Images
  • thumbnail_image1.jpg
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
  • thumbnail_image3.jpg
  • thumbnail_image4.jpg