• Nov 10th, 2017 8:17 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4359 posts
2960 upvotes
GTA
rfd049 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:28 pm
New pics taken during daytime of the damage.
Heartbreaking to have your new car messed up like that. I might have insisted that the police give her a ticket, but she's gonna feel it in her wallet from her insurance increase.

I can't even see how they would fix it back to new 100%.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4578 upvotes
rfd049 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:10 pm
How would I argue with them in regards to the depreciation of the car's value because of this accident as it would now be considered a accidental car instead of a new car?
You are not allowed to pursue diminished value claims in Ontario, so if that is where you are from you are out of luck. The last time I researched it there were no successful claims because of the way the laws are structured. You can search for "diminished value" and most likely find a couple threads where myself or someone else posts case studies / links.
Dec 31, 2007
339 posts
45 upvotes
that quite the damage. my guess is 5 to 10 k depending on how much damage was done to your back left and your front right. definitely looks like frame damage to the back left. she hit your car so hard it jumped the curb.

i've taken my cars to woodchester collision out in the erin mills auto mall area. they've always done a great job, from replacing parts, straightening frame to color matching the paint.

usually your insurance company will get an adjuster to get a appraisal of damage based on book rates. it all done by a checklist on a computers. i think some insurance companies will accept the collision shop appraisal or if it's too high will send out their own appraiser.

as the above posters stated, you can't recoup your diminished value on your car, as it will be worth less since it has been in a major accident and will show up when they check the system.
Last edited by gladiator1942 on Nov 8th, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40974 posts
9900 upvotes
rfd049 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:10 pm
@alanbrenton It is financed for 5 years, I am still close to the end of year one only.

How would I argue with them in regards to the depreciation of the car's value because of this accident as it would now be considered a accidental car instead of a new car?

From what I heard it was for a rodent, Plus the Police officer did not issue any ticket to the driver. The lady was asking the police officer if she will be able to drive? The police officer responded I havent put anything on your record from my side as I still believe you can drive.
Damn. The other parties car must not have stability control. I just looked at the photos when I got home and she hit your car so hard that it seem to have jumped onto the curb. It's common for many seniors to stick with older vehicles.

Hopefully your insurance will provide some compensation for what others have mentioned as diminished value due to the accident. I don't know much about insurance but usually you can negotiate for a few things here and there, especially if you've been a long time client. I've heard all sorts of egregious demands (mostly BS) when someone gets into an accident from a friend who works for an insurance company and the adjusters/claims people do have some leeway so don't always accept the first offer but of course, ask politely.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7981 posts
2824 upvotes
Toronto
That sucks, your car value just went way down because of that idiot.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 31, 2016
285 posts
155 upvotes
Get a set of 4 new tires too. And replace that 1 rim that was hit. Maybe the other corner that mounted the curb too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8716 posts
591 upvotes
Dang that sucks :( Your car got hit big time from that ol' lady.

I would just take it to Honda and get it fixed with them. Had an accident $12,000, got a quote from local Honda dealer, TD Meloche Monnex said it was acceptable after doing an appraisail and they fixed my car. Plus if there's any future "issues" Honda should back up their repair.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic