None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton

Advice: In-wall speaker wires

Looking to run the wires for my surround speakers. The basement is unfinished so I'm going to go down through the floor behind the TV, across the basement ceiling and back up the side of the living room wall.

First question is what gauge of wire should I get for the surrounds? I'll probably be buying everything from monoprice (speaker wire page) unless someone can suggest something more locally that won't be TOO much more.

Generous measurements of wire for each surround speaker at 45ft, so I'll just get a spool of 100ft to be safe. Also should I buy the speaker wire that actually states for in-wall use? Does it matter? The non in-wall speaker wire of the same gauge is actually more expensive for some reason.

100ft 14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (For In-Wall Installation)

100ft 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable

and last but not least should I add a wall plate to my cart while I'm at it like this one? or do you guys just leave a small hole behind the speaker.

Thanks for any suggestions.

//edit HOLY crap. 100ft spool of wire must be bigger/heavier then I thought. Cheapest shipping option is $32.54!! That's more expensive then the damn item.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4961 posts
678 upvotes
Yes, if it's going in the wall then you must use in-wall rated wires. I have my place wired with 14-gauge since 12-gauge and lower seem to get really expensive very quickly.

Contrary to what audiophiles will want you to believe, standard 99.9% OFC wire is good enough. Unless you're an audio engineer, it's unlikely you'll hear the difference between these and the Nordost Valhalla or similar. And if you can, you wouldn't be using in wall wires anyways.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4961 posts
678 upvotes
Yes, HD does sell in-wall (FT4) speaker wire. The RCA wire listed is NOT for in-wall use.

In general, the speaker wires are good enough quality to run any consumer level speakers. Unless you are running something esoteric like B&W Nautilus Prestige, Wilson Audio X-1 Grand Slamm, or even Martin Logan Aerons, you will not need anything better than run-of-the-mill speaker wires. You might want to use nicer wires for some more common speakers like Definitive Technologies or Klipsch KL/KS 7500/7800-series in-wall speakers. Again, no need to go to the Valhalla series (cost is $3000/m).

You need to match the wires with the quality of your components. No need to splurge unless you are running Bryston amps (made in Calgary, AB with a 25-year warranty) or something of that class. Any wires from Home Depot will play well with ANY amp from Best Buy or Future Shop, despite what those sales drones will tell you.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton
I think its because I added a 100ft spool of 14awg wire, the normal cheaper shipping option was gone and the cheapest I had was like $32 to Hamilton.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2040 posts
232 upvotes
If you go with Monoprice, make sure you choose either USPS or UPS Expedited, and not the "cheap" UPS option. Otherwise, UPS brokerage will end up costing you more than your cables.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5864 posts
1368 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you are going to run wire and put in wall plates, run some CAT6 while you are at it AND use keystone style wall plates so that you can put almost anything on the plate.

Example -

Banana Jacks - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
Four outlet wall plates - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
Eight outlet wall plates for behind the receiver -http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
various RJ-45 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10513
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20629 posts
1922 upvotes
^^ Good idea - my home has in-wall CAT5e and audio wires like OP wants.

It helps a lot with keeping the house clean
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton
I already have Cat5e running to the TV and running upstairs to the computer room so that is all setup already thankfully.

So if I was just going to do 2 surround speakers up in the corners of the living room then these plates would be the best option correct? http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... t=2&ref=cj
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton
junkmail2002 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 2:42 pm
you can get Monoprice speaker wires, CL2-rated speaker wires and wall plates in the GTA. Shipping should be <$15.
I've never heard of cablesonsale.ca before. What do they do buy up multiple skus from monoprice and resell them? I didn't do the whole sign up to find out the shipping costs however. Has anyone purchased from them before?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20629 posts
1922 upvotes
monoprice shipping takes A LONG TIME
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton
george__ wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 2:36 am
monoprice shipping takes A LONG TIME
yes that is the other problem, it takes forever to get stuff from them. Hopefully buying locally won't be insanely more expensive. With a shipping charge of $32 I'm hoping it will be roughly the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2847 posts
249 upvotes
Hamilton
I ended up buying 100ft of in-wall 14-2 wire from homedepot. Cheaper then lowes, cost me about $35.
Sep 18, 2007
89 posts
I didn't want to start a new thread on in-wall speaker wire so I was wondering if quality wise it is a good product of not: http://www.digiparts.ca/cl3-speaker-cab ... p-343.html

I have never heard of this company but I noticed they sell on amazon.ca and have very good reviews. There prices are as low as Monoprice, but without the expensive shipping costs.