• Jun 19th, 2017 3:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
5864 posts
1368 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Depends if you subscribe to the idea that copper is copper or that there is better copper out there. If you believe in copper is copper, then the wire shouldn't be a problem. The question really is - do you trust the vendor to deliver what they advertise?
Aug 28, 2010
937 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
14G Monoprice CL2 rated in-wall 1000ft done.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
1830 posts
315 upvotes
Reviving an old thread, but same topic - I'm thinking of adding in-wall speaker wire in my garage. The problem is that I just thought of it after the walls were insulated and vapour barrier was put up. Pretty sure I can still do it, but I'm wondering about speaker wire crossing or being near electrical wire. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1373 posts
236 upvotes
Windsor
SizzleChest wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 6:46 pm
Reviving an old thread, but same topic - I'm thinking of adding in-wall speaker wire in my garage. The problem is that I just thought of it after the walls were insulated and vapour barrier was put up. Pretty sure I can still do it, but I'm wondering about speaker wire crossing or being near electrical wire. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
If you run a wire beside a 120v wire, and that wire is doing something (maybe has a toaster plugged into it, or a space heater), you might get some buzzing, but probably not. If you're crossing wires at a 90° angle to each other, it's not a problem.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1088 posts
119 upvotes
How much does it cost to rough in speakers in a room? Is running wires necessary or can bluetooth replace it?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23235 posts
2065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 7:15 pm
How much does it cost to rough in speakers in a room? Is running wires necessary or can bluetooth replace it?
Depends on the room (location, size etc)

There are lots of options now. If you're using the speakers for surround, then you should wire it. If you're using it for music, or to replace TV speakers, Bluetooth works

Sonos is another option for music
May 8, 2007
671 posts
128 upvotes
I know someone who put approved in-wall wire in his house to connect living room speakers to a sound system located about 30 feet away in family room. Required longer length of wire to actually do the job, maybe 60 to 80 feet. What I noticed was the hi-fi sound quality was gone and treble was reduced, audio was far better from the speakers in the family room. Same speaker brand/model. I'm not sure what wire he used, maybe thin/crappy.

For a home theatre the wire lengths would be shorter so hopefully this would not be an issue.