Computers & Electronics

Advices on affordable zigbee/zwave power outlet?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 2:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
1937 posts
53 upvotes
Calgary

Advices on affordable zigbee/zwave power outlet?

Hi guys, I am looking for a few ZigBee/zwave power outlets (the ones you plug into your wall outlet) to expand my smartthings hub network? mainly ujsed for LED lights?
What do you guys recommend that works great at affordable price? looks like not too many choices at brick and mortar stores.
Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30081 posts
4792 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you looking for a switch or a receptacle? If you have pot lights, you probably want a switch.

There are plenty of choices, just not cheap ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
1937 posts
53 upvotes
Calgary
thanks, I waslooking for a outlet for some floor lamps.
HD has a Leviton ZigBee outlet for 40 bucks, not a bad price.
I ended up getting a bunch of ZigBee LED bulbs instead.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3683 posts
2545 upvotes
There are lots of cheap WiFi power outlets, so you would think that there would be plenty of cheap Z-Wave and Zigbee ones too, But they seem to concentrate more on bulbs and wall switches.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14644 posts
1045 upvotes
Markham
Exp315 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 9:16 am
There are lots of cheap WiFi power outlets, so you would think that there would be plenty of cheap Z-Wave and Zigbee ones too, But they seem to concentrate more on bulbs and wall switches.
Because z-wave and ZigBee devices all need hubs and that automatically makes them more niche than wifi outlets

I need some cheap ZigBee outlets too, for repeater use...
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9913 posts
3990 upvotes
Brampton
The licensing for Zwave and Zigbee costs more than wifi. Not to mention the radio chips. You can get a Wifi Chip and processor for <$.50 The same can't be said for Zigbee and Z Wave (Not super expensive just not as super cheap.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2159 posts
519 upvotes
Windsor
I have a lot of the Lowes "Iris" ones (3210-L, referred to as "Purple Box" outlets), and they're dead-reliable; I have probably 8 of them, they've all been working for about 2-1/2 years with my SmartThings hub, and I've never had issue (most are in use daily). I use them to power lamps with bulbs I cannot make smart (edison bulbs, small bulbs, etc), and to extend the mesh into barely used areas (utility room/cellar, for flood sensors mainly). As well, they extend both the Zigbee and Z-Wave Plus networks (there was question back when I bought them about whether they are successfully repeating the mesh, but I verified it with a bunch of extension cords out at a school; they do).

They're not "cheap" at retail ($38USD), but if you're patient, and have opportunity to zip over to the states, they have random sales where they're exceptionally cheap (They're on for $31 now, but I am pretty sure I paid $22/ea). For me, I live within reasonable distance of a lot of Lowes US stores, so I could take advantage of their store-based sales.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.