• Mar 20th, 2017 8:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal

Aeroplan / Air Miles Flight Cancellation Policy

My wife and I are supposed to be flying to Florida next Wednesday but I have been suffering from Sciatica for the last 3 weeks and, despite my chiropractor and a visit to see a doctor, so far it isn't getting better. If by next Tuesday, there's no improvement, I'll have to cancel our trip.

We're due to fly by aeroplan points going and air miles returning. I see at aeroplan, there's a $100 change fee per ticket but what if I need to cancel? I couldn't find any info on the air miles site.
Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this?
Phils
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6093 posts
7117 upvotes
It is easy to change aeroplan flight and pay the change fee. Last summer, my son missed his flight back to Canada, 1 call changed the flight.

I am not sure about the cancellation and getting the AP miles,back. But you have the option to change your flight a few months later.

I don't have any info on airmiles.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly payment.
2x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $72 family plan,
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, $0 FPL home phone
Feb 25, 2007
828 posts
284 upvotes
Ottawa
Not 100% sure this is still true, but Aeroplan tickets used to not be officially cancellable within 21 days of departure (i.e., getting your points back).
However, there is a workaround. You can call to *change* the ticket up to a few hours before departure. You change it to a date that is more than 21 days out, and then you cancel it. You get dinged with the change fee twice, but you get your points back. Of course, you can also just change to a later available date and fly then, if that is an option. Or just say you're not flying; in this instance they will keep the points (and the fees you already paid) but you can make the actual change later and pay the change fee then.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
6093 posts
7117 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 4:15 pm
It is easy to change aeroplan flight and pay the change fee. Last summer, my son missed his flight back to Canada, 1 call changed the flight.

I am not sure about the cancellation and getting the AP miles,back. But you have the option to change your flight a few months later.

I don't have any info on airmiles.
houska wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 5:27 pm
... You can call to *change* the ticket up to a few hours before departure...
As I said in the previous post, I can change the flight even the original flight had left.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly payment.
2x Zoomer $36 plan, 1x Zoomer $72 family plan,
1x Chatr(Mobilicity) $30 plan, 1x 7-11 Speakout, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
The problem with changing is that I don't know what date to change to at this point.

According to the aeroplan website, you have up to 2 hours before the flight to make a change.

Any idea about Airmiles?
Phils
Oct 3, 2013
149 posts
92 upvotes
BC
Air Miles: https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/TravelAss ... nId=300004. Seems like you can change the flight origin/destination (with fees, of course), if that's of any use to you.
Cancellations, refunds and name changes are not permitted. The AIR MILES® Reward Program is unable to issue future credits.

Aeroplan: https://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardOtherThings.do. I guess at least you'll be able to re-use the ticket in the next year (minus the change fee), so that gives you a bit more flexibility!
Sometimes, you’ve got no choice—you just have to cancel. If you don’t want to change your ticket, you have up to two hours prior to your scheduled departure to cancel it (you can even do this yourself online in the Manage Your Rewards section!). You then have a whole year from the date it was issued to re-book your trip. There is no fee at time of cancellation, but a non-refundable change fee will apply when you call us to re-book.

Want your miles back when cancelling?
We can make that happen.
If it’s 22 days before your scheduled departure, your unused and valid flight reward can be refunded and your miles can be returned to your account (you can also do this yourself online in the Manage Your Rewards section!). A non-refundable refund fee applies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
If necessary, what I may do is cancel my flight out with aeroplan and when I can travel, book a new flight. Then I'll use my existing Air Miles return flight. This is terrible, I've been dealing with sciatica for the past 3 weeks.

I have to see if I can adjust or cancel my Costco/Manulife travel insurance as well.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4200 posts
1103 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 3:43 pm
My wife and I are supposed to be flying to Florida next Wednesday but I have been suffering from Sciatica for the last 3 weeks and, despite my chiropractor and a visit to see a doctor, so far it isn't getting better. If by next Tuesday, there's no improvement, I'll have to cancel our trip.

We're due to fly by aeroplan points going and air miles returning. I see at aeroplan, there's a $100 change fee per ticket but what if I need to cancel? I couldn't find any info on the air miles site.
Does anyone have any experience in a situation like this?
I have experienced this once with AirMiles for a booking with WestJet.

We wanted to cancel an AirMiles flight and, as AirMiles doesn't allow cancellations through them, contacted WestJet directly to inquire. They were happy to accommodate us by providing a travel credit for the value of the flight cancelled even though we hadn't actually purchased the flight directly through them.

I have no recollection whether there was a fee associated with this but I imagine there was and it was probably their $75 change fee per person. The thing that may have made this easier was that we already also had another WestJet flight booked from another location around the same time so this may have been a consideration for them being so accommodating.

My guess is that Air Canada would probably tell you to go $%&@ yourself but YMMV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
Just to close the loop on this, I ended cancelling my trip. I was using Aeroplan to go down and AirMiles to return. I have a year with aeroplan to use my ticket and a $100 change fee per ticket. Air Miles told me that I can book another ticket but, if I wait more than a week or so to do so, it may be cancelled in their system by then. They have a $60 change fee and they said that for my ticket - FLL to YUL, the Air Canada change fee is $200 per ticket. Given the expensive AC charge, they said they would waive their fee.

So then I called up Capital One whose credit card includes trip cancellation. They said that would cover anything where the card was used to pay in full - even the change fee whenever it's incurred. However, since I used points to pay for part of flight, their policy doesn't cover that. In other words, had I paid $350 per ticket they would be covered but since I only paid the taxes, nothing is covered.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6859 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Wow sounds like air miles went the extra mile to help you. Surprising
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
I wouldn't say extra mile at all. Aeroplan says I have a year to use the ticket. Air Miles say their system will cancel it after just a few weeks and I have trouble believing the $200 change fee.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6859 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
My understanding was airmiles tickets couldn't be cancelled at all. So I'd say any consideration is generous especially if they waived air Canada's fee.

Yes one of the under appreciated features of Aeroplan rewards is easy change/cancellation
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4200 posts
1103 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:33 pm
My understanding was airmiles tickets couldn't be cancelled at all. So I'd say any consideration is generous especially if they waived air Canada's fee.

Yes one of the under appreciated features of Aeroplan rewards is easy change/cancellation
And yet I provided an example earlier in this thread that belies your argument. Just had to deal directly with the airline rather than AirMiles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3611 posts
292 upvotes
Montreal
Air Miles waived their $60 fee but not the Air Canada $200 change fee. Incidentally, a one way ticket from FLL to YUL is less than $200 if you buy it a few weeks in advance.

I just checked on the AC site, and a ticket for that flight on March 29th is $158. April 1st is $185.
Phils
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel