• Jan 14th, 2020 9:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1603 posts
313 upvotes
South Western Ontari…

Aeroplan collecting miles

I have upcoming trip with the whole family of 5.
Is it possible to pool points into you one aeroplan account for all the passengers?

ie: enter just one aeroplan account at time of booking.

I am paying for the tickets.
11 replies
Aug 5, 2005
240 posts
98 upvotes
Unfortunately not possible. You can make each person an account though (which isn't ideal but better than nothing).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17991 posts
2545 upvotes
Langley
Presumably your family includes some children, for what it's worth, children's points don't expire until age 19, regardless of activity. So you don't need to worry about losing points in their accounts for a long time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1603 posts
313 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
Babo wrote:
Jan 4th, 2020 2:51 pm
Unfortunately not possible. You can make each person an account though (which isn't ideal but better than nothing).
i6s1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2020 5:27 pm
Presumably your family includes some children, for what it's worth, children's points don't expire until age 19, regardless of activity. So you don't need to worry about losing points in their accounts for a long time.
No kids all adults. I looked into it further apparently you can transfer points for 2cent/mile. Is it worth the hassle?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17991 posts
2545 upvotes
Langley
smrtphur wrote:
Jan 4th, 2020 6:22 pm
No kids all adults. I looked into it further apparently you can transfer points for 2cent/mile. Is it worth the hassle?
Nope. Points are only worth 1.7c or so. Depending on how you value them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7913 posts
882 upvotes
Vancouver
smrtphur wrote:

Unless your flying a lot with your wife and kids. The amount of Aeroplan points you earn is really low. Unless your flying full fare economy or business or maybe a flight pass. Usually you’re getting 25% Aeroplan miles and with basic economy sometimes none at all

I’d focus on putting your family spending on an Amex with membership reward points and then booking tickets for your family once they transfer. Just watch out for MR select points (cobalt) which cannot transfer to Aeroplan.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1603 posts
313 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
GangStarr wrote:
Jan 4th, 2020 6:32 pm
Unless your flying a lot with your wife and kids. The amount of Aeroplan points you earn is really low. Unless your flying full fare economy or business or maybe a flight pass. Usually you’re getting 25% Aeroplan miles and with basic economy sometimes none at all

I’d focus on putting your family spending on an Amex with membership reward points and then booking tickets for your family once they transfer. Just watch out for MR select points (cobalt) which cannot transfer to Aeroplan.
I have marriot bonvoy for that but personally like cashback cards more. I wont bother with it.

My flight will give 50% miles
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2660 posts
1520 upvotes
Langley
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how to upgrade an flight on star alliance?

I was told if I buy a regular econmy on star alliance, in my case EVA Air from Vancouver to Ho Chi Minh, I can use my aeroplan points to possibly upgrade to business class. If so, how do I do this and how many point will it be? I read that if it is possible, it's 50,000 aeroplan points to do so. Is that 50,000 aeroplan points one way or is that roundtrip?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1914 posts
807 upvotes
HK
jellytime wrote:
Jan 12th, 2020 11:32 pm
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know how to upgrade an flight on star alliance?

I was told if I buy a regular econmy on star alliance, in my case EVA Air from Vancouver to Ho Chi Minh, I can use my aeroplan points to possibly upgrade to business class. If so, how do I do this and how many point will it be? I read that if it is possible, it's 50,000 aeroplan points to do so. Is that 50,000 aeroplan points one way or is that roundtrip?

Thanks!
You need to buy a full-fare economy ticket, which is usually more expensive than a restrictive non-refundable business class fare.

So it's cheaper to buy a cheap business class ticket outright.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2660 posts
1520 upvotes
Langley
McKinsey wrote:
Jan 13th, 2020 9:10 am
You need to buy a full-fare economy ticket, which is usually more expensive than a restrictive non-refundable business class fare.

So it's cheaper to buy a cheap business class ticket outright.
Thanks for the reply.

It seems I can get a EVA flight for about $900 and business class is like $4500. Do you know how I look for full-fare economy tickets?
Aug 3, 2017
196 posts
106 upvotes
jellytime wrote:
Jan 13th, 2020 11:41 am
Thanks for the reply.

It seems I can get a EVA flight for about $900 and business class is like $4500. Do you know how I look for full-fare economy tickets?
Each airline is different. For air canada, it’s generally the Latitude Fares. As noted above, they’re basically business fares in economy with flexible terms (eg lowest business is restricted, but latitude can change or cancel any time, but you’re still in economy).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1914 posts
807 upvotes
HK
jellytime wrote:
Jan 13th, 2020 11:41 am
Thanks for the reply.

1) try the website or 2) try calling in.

Would you be willing to pay 5k for an economy class + 50k aeroplan just to get "upgraded"?