None
[OP]
Dec 1, 2014
67 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Aeroplan help

Hey guys!

Still relatively new to aeroplan and have not really figured out the best way to use these points yet! Around 70000 points right now..

Question1- what is the best way to maximize these points? Planning trips to London(May june), New York(Jan or feb) and Singapore(October) next year. I have read that aeroplan points are Best used for long haul and non economy class..

Question2- I have searched up the points needed for 24/12-31/12 for YYZ-YXE.. it was around 60-70000 points (I can’t recall exactly).. however if I were to purchase flights from Expedia they would cost me abit over 500 per pax. This is for two people.

Any advice or directions on where to look is appreciated:)

Thanks guys
8 replies
May 7, 2017
281 posts
119 upvotes
Save them for business class tickets to Singapore. That will be best value. I also fine YYZ to LAX in there new 787 Air Canada is good value for North America or same aircraft to YVR.

Other then that to Europe it is not worth it unless your flying LOT/Turkish which there are no more rewards leaving from Toronto on Turkish/Brussels Air/Tap which business class seats are not good till the retrofit completes.

Singapore, would be the BEST value in business class.

New York the taxes are too high or anywhere really in North America.

Im actually going to be using my points have over 300,000 to go to Peru 40,000 PE (Reality not a good redemption) on Ac one way and the other way Alaska Airlines points for American Airlines lie fat seats for 30,000 Points. I am seeing less and less good rewards on Aeroplan and need to spend all my points soon before its a garbage rewards program. I also just spent 150,000 For Africa on Swiss.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28227 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Best bang for your Aeroplan miles is long distance Business Class.
The seats are hard to get nowadays, since Air Canada has announced it is cutting ties with Aeroplan.
There are 3 separate methods f getting a flight..Look on Air Canada schedule and see all the flights. Go to Aeroplan and see the flights that are Fixed Mileage or flights that are Market Fare. There is quite a difference between Fixed and Market. You will not get all the flights offered on the schedule in either Fixed or Market.
Be aware that when booking business class that they may give you only one leg business but still charge you full business class mileage. Best to give them a call.
I just booked a trip that has 7 legs and had to call Aeroplan to get the flights I wanted.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Oct 6, 2015
792 posts
400 upvotes
Predator76 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:48 am
Question1- what is the best way to maximize these points? Planning trips to London(May june), New York(Jan or feb) and Singapore(October) next year. I have read that aeroplan points are Best used for long haul and non economy class..
Long-haul business class, or flying to/from obscure destinations in Canada. Occasionally you can get some pretty decent last-minute trips through Aeroplan that would cost you a lot if bought as a short-notice fare, if you need to do so for personal or business reasons.

For instance, if you want to fly from Smithers, BC, to say, Gander, Newfoundland, with a stopover in Ottawa -- such is an excellent Aeroplan redemption for 25,000 points as such a trip probably would cost over $1200 per seat.
Question2- I have searched up the points needed for 24/12-31/12 for YYZ-YXE.. it was around 60-70000 points (I can’t recall exactly).. however if I were to purchase flights from Expedia they would cost me abit over 500 per pax. This is for two people.
Yeah a pretty bad deal. "Market fare" redemptions are almost never a good deal. You want to go with the Classic redemptions, and even then, you need to watch the fees.

If you're looking to go to Saskatoon, you might try, for instance, YYZ-YXE (stopover)-YVR-YYZ, for instance, ie: add a trip to Vancouver to your schedule. That at least would get you more value than just a plain YYZ-YXE-YYZ trip.
If you need any technical help on constructing a booking, the flyertalk Aeroplan forums are great. But to maximize value, you need to be creative and flexible.
Mar 1, 2016
713 posts
222 upvotes
one of the best use of Aeroplan is long distance, business class with stops along the way, being flexible (try also to get airlines with no surcharge). For example next month i'm leaving on

Europe to Japan (to make it work leaving Zurich landing Osaka), with stop-over on way in Sri Lanka, and in Istanbul on way back (plus a 20 hour stop in Singapour because i wanted to try Singapour Airlines). Total 150,000 points and $190 (including $30 phone agent). Also surprisingly only 2 minutes waiting on line
Dec 4, 2011
647 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
After international J/F, I find the 15K shorthaul rewards very good value. Used them to go to Iles-de-la-Madeleine (YGR) from YUL, regular ticket is over a grand so decent value for points.

Can also go to Nunavut for 15K from YUL for example, another great deal.

Depending on taxes and fees it can be good value to the US for last-minute trips as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
470 upvotes
Thornhill
Predator76 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:48 am
Hey guys!

Still relatively new to aeroplan and have not really figured out the best way to use these points yet! Around 70000 points right now..

Thanks guys
I go economy,but I travel often so it's worth it. I wouldn't say you get better value by traveling with business class,unless it is how you normally travel. I rather use the extra miles for another trip instead. The best way to use miles is by utilizing stop-overs. You are allowed 1 stop over of any length on each leg so for example you can try to fly to Singapore via another country to enjoy it( eg. Toronto->Egypt->Singapore; Singapore->Thailand->Toronto) You will need to call though to get that as the online booking only allows 1 stopover in total and the agent can add one more. You just need to research the route to find the least costly option. For example, if you fly by Egypt air who don't charge scam charges- taxes and your trip would be 90K miles per person and around $140-200 in taxes per person. Ethiopian Air, Singapore Air, Turkish are also among those that charge only real taxes. Then take Air Canada or Air France, Polish, LH, etc and the same trip via any of those will likely set you back around $1000 in taxes per person...ouch!

60,000 miles are worth more than $500pp. In fact their absolute minimum value is $600 as with Amex you can use 60K miles to credit against $600 in purchases. And it's still not the best way as they are worth more. This is why it's not worth it for your London flight which you can find for $500. Because apart of 60K miles you will still have to pay taxes.
May 14, 2008
219 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
You could also look into one way rewards and then just buying the other way (Seems like you have 3 trips but not enough points). For example, Taxes and fees for a round trip are super expensive on points to NY, but one way to the back from NY is almost minimal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
With 70,000 you. Can do one way in business to Asia including Singapore for 77,500. You'll need to pay 3 cents a mile to top up. Try and find room on Eva airlines. Look for flights out Chicago Seattle Washington and San Fran if no room out of Toronto. Then look for a reward flight that will get you to that city from Toronto. You'll need to phone in to put it all together.

Also if Europe look for montreal to Zurich flights on business with Swiss airlines
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.