235 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton

Affinity Photo (Photoshop alternative) PC/Mac $54.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
20% off
If you have an older version of Photoshop that Adobe recently declared to be the work of Satan and were looking for a replacement that's not a monthly subscription, check this out. I was reading up on alternatives to Photoshop around the time the news came out and this came up as a strong contender. Regular price is 69.99 CAD, new version just released so they have 20% off everything at the moment, including Affinity Photo (54.99 CAD).

Digital Photo Review 's review of Affinity Photo

If you have very little need to edit photos but like to have a decent tool for doing so, may I suggest Photopea? Free online editor that works nearly as well as Photoshop. I was really impressed.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
4313 posts
3993 upvotes
I wonder if I should wait till boxing day, they did have it for 50% off last year
[OP]
Oct 3, 2005
235 posts
65 upvotes
Edmonton
RobertRabbit wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 1:25 pm
why not using Photoshop Express instead?
It's an option. At first I thought you meant Photoshop Elements, but I hadn't heard of the new/free Photoshop Express before.
My thinking is, good option if you just need a basic photo editor. Affinity Photo is more like an alternative to the full-fledged Photoshop for professional use, as it has an extremely similar look and feel.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1178 posts
384 upvotes
Want to bump this thread. I've been using AP for about a year after many using Adobe products including both PS and Elements. Like many, I'd found the products excellent but Adobe increasingly distasteful in their practices. I work in education and Adobe has made it increasingly difficult to justify their prices. Speaking to tech staff today, my sense it's the inertia of "we know this product already" is the prime reason for keeping their products.

AF is excellent and powerful. Lynda.com (free with most library cards) and Udemy have decent tutorial and there are lots on YouTube and on Serif's own site. I updated to 1.7 this evening. At $54.99, it's a bargain. And, it's yours forever. The iPad app, which I have not used, was chosen by Apple as App of the Year.
Jun 17, 2003
612 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP. Very interested in this software after being with Adobe products for quite some time.

Just checked and saw that Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for iPad are also discounted by 20%. Sorry I don’t have links but if you search the App Store you can find them.
Mar 2, 2015
15 posts
48 upvotes
Markham, ON
Great alternative to PS. I've been using Affinity Photo for over 2 years now and I'm constantly learning. It's really limited by how much you're willing to learn.
Apr 14, 2017
563 posts
495 upvotes
Nobody mentioned gimp yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2423 posts
988 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP. I've been waiting for this to go on sale...now it's time to give it a try. Given Affinity Photo's features and great reviews, it seem like a good deal even at it's regular price.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2049 posts
1128 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked it up for the iPad, a lot of learning to do to get used to the interface for me.
Jun 10, 2013
551 posts
238 upvotes
pny128 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 10:52 pm
Nobody mentioned gimp yet?
This would be the ultimate RFD option (completely free). Probably just a bit of an adjustment to use.
Mar 14, 2008
122 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
I am still on CS6 and it does what I need it to do for me. I only have to convert the raw files from my A7r iii to dng before being able to use them in PS CS6. However, I want to buy Affinity Photo mainly because I want to support an inexpensive alternative product that is not based on subscription payments. Right now, at C$55, the price is amazing.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1270 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Wait for the 50% off. Thanks OP.
Simple is the best.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1178 posts
384 upvotes
raminolta wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 12:58 pm
I am still on CS6 and it does what I need it to do for me. I only have to convert the raw files from my A7r iii to dng before being able to use them in PS CS6. However, I want to buy Affinity Photo mainly because I want to support an inexpensive alternative product that is not based on subscription payments. Right now, at C$55, the price is amazing.
I feel the same way about supporting high value products like this one. $55 is a bargain for such a high quality, and continually updated, product. Alternatives like these nicely balance a rich feature set with accessible pricing. Adobe easily provides the first but less and less the second.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1178 posts
384 upvotes
vtse wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 11:53 pm
Just picked it up for the iPad, a lot of learning to do to get used to the interface for me.
If you have free access via the Toronto library system, (we do in SK), you might want to give this series of lessons from Lynda.com a try.