• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2019 2:39 pm
Feb 2, 2017
275 posts
324 upvotes
pny128 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 10:52 pm
Nobody mentioned gimp yet?
Even though some of the free versions are quite powerful software, they are not as user friendly. It's the reason why Adobe products are still so popular even with the subscription model. You can save a lot of time using paid products.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1001 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Full disclosure i live and breath Adobe CC, use it every day at home for freelance projects and use it every day at work as its probably 50% of my job is using the trio of Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. Don't really care what CC costs because it's a business expense and the industry standard.

The real news here is that Affinity Publisher is finally out of beta and being released (June 17 IIRC) hence the sale. I honestly hope Publisher is amazing because InDesign is such a bloated hot POS that i loath using. Too bad Publisher won't be launching with interactive PDF exporting (aka making forms), but i'm hoping they add that feature and then i can (hopefully) ditch InDesign for my freelance stuff.

Bought the trio to play around with and well because **** Adobe; Photo and Designer pretty great going to wait for the official release of Publisher before trying it.. Relearning new workflows is a PITA but almost everything i want to do they can do. Just missing some key features that i can't live without (this very much depends on your workflow and what you usually design so not going to rant). Stability and performance wise HOLYSHIT they're like a hot knife through butter. Load fast, process fast, trackpad zooming is ridiculously smooth. Don't make my Mac fans go nuts like Adobe products usually do. They're getting very close to being able to replace CC for my freelance/personal work.

If you're at the hobbyist level this is a great tool that can do 90% of the Adobe trio for a fraction the cost.
Feb 11, 2015
65 posts
33 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:44 pm
Full disclosure i live and breath Adobe CC, use it every day at home for freelance projects and use it every day at work as its probably 50% of my job is using the trio of Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. Don't really care what CC costs because it's a business expense and the industry standard.

The real news here is that Affinity Publisher is finally out of beta and being released (June 17 IIRC) hence the sale. I honestly hope Publisher is amazing because InDesign is such a bloated hot POS that i loath using. Too bad Publisher won't be launching with interactive PDF exporting (aka making forms), but i'm hoping they add that feature and then i can (hopefully) ditch InDesign for my freelance stuff.

Bought the trio to play around with and well because **** Adobe; Photo and Designer pretty great going to wait for the official release of Publisher before trying it.. Relearning new workflows is a PITA but almost everything i want to do they can do. Just missing some key features that i can't live without (this very much depends on your workflow and what you usually design so not going to rant). Stability and performance wise HOLYSHIT they're like a hot knife through butter. Load fast, process fast, trackpad zooming is ridiculously smooth. Don't make my Mac fans go nuts like Adobe products usually do. They're getting very close to being able to replace CC for my freelance/personal work.

If you're at the hobbyist level this is a great tool that can do 90% of the Adobe trio for a fraction the cost.
Wow that must be the best review on Affinity anywhere on the web.

So tempted to buy but don't need it until later in the year. Hopefully they have a 50% sale later and I'll jump on it.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10001 posts
1518 upvotes
Does it open/save adobe format? How about PS plugin? Thanks
Ecsta wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1974 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Prof wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:04 pm
If you have free access via the Toronto library system, (we do in SK), you might want to give this series of lessons from Lynda.com a try.
Woah, did not know that course existed, thanks for the heads up!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1374 posts
461 upvotes
Montreal
Affinity Photo and Designer (and soon to be released Publisher) are solid products.

EDIT: You get free updates for CURRENT major version - 1.x. When 2.x is released, you would need to pay for the upgrade if you decide to go that route (probably discounted, however don't quote me on that).

Regardless, these are solid products and I rarely say this, but they deserve a full price.

I STRONGLY recommend their solutions. Also they have solid youtube and forum material for assistance.

Affinity Photo 1.5 Promo:

Affinity Photo 1.7 Promo:

Affinity Photo Tutorials:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/learn/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-k ... TnexM3jJAw

Affinity Official Channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AffinitySuite/channels

Cheers.
Last edited by anabioz on Jun 9th, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1001 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
82 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 8:12 pm
Does it open/save adobe format? How about PS plugin? Thanks
Affinity Photo can open .psd and saves by default as .afphoto but you can export it to PSDs:

Designer can open .ai and saves by default as .afdesign but it cannot save/export as .ai files. You can use .eps files which is more common anyways so not a huge deal.

Plugins depend on the plugin: http://bfy.tw/O1vy

Adobe has a habit of making it so older versions can't open the newest versions saves (unless you save with compatibility mode), so if your job depends on being able to always open .ai/.psd files you might be stuck with having the latest version of the Adobe products.

Pretty good exporting options.

anabioz wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 10:48 pm
Affinity Photo and Designer (and soon to be released Publisher) are solid products. Mind you these are LIFETIME licenses and you get FREE updates for future versions. These are solid products and I rarely say this, but these products deserve a full price.

I STRONGLY recommend their solutions. Also they have solid youtube and forum material for assistance.
Yes to lifetime license but no to free updates to major future versions. My understanding is that the 1.x updates are free, but when 2.x comes out that's a paid upgrade if you're on a 1.x license. It seems like they do add A LOT of updates and i could be wrong.

I had no trouble figuring out what i wanted to do with google and they seem to answer the forum questions quickly which is a great sign. I found their tutorials kind of slow but its nice that they have them.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1374 posts
461 upvotes
Montreal
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 9:45 am

Yes to lifetime license but no to free updates to major future versions. My understanding is that the 1.x updates are free, but when 2.x comes out that's a paid upgrade if you're on a 1.x license. It seems like they do add A LOT of updates and i could be wrong.
Good call on the upgrades path, my mistake. In either case I fully support these guys and think their software is awesome for the price. NOTE: I've edited my original post to reflect the upgrade path.
Nov 24, 2011
19 posts
2 upvotes
Chute-aux-Outardes, …
Just to add my grain of salt, I bought it today so my GF have something better than cricut design space to work on her project... anyway long story short, the magic wand selection does not support antialiasing... this is a major hiccup for her ... I should have try the beta a little more before buying. There is still some way to "refine" the selection after the magic wand but it's a lot more hard to get a good result and my GF is not tecksavy with image edition... so this is a show stopper for her.
Dec 6, 2012
746 posts
232 upvotes
Regina
In Photoshop I batch convert .tiff files to jpeg. Can this software do that?

I also batch convert jprgs to PDFs. Can I do that?

Thanks
Mar 17, 2017
23 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, AB
looks pretty good, I'll be keeping an eye on this but not going to buy right now.

I mainly use photoshop to create/optimize gifs for web apps and looks like they don't have an animate feature yet. They are also lacking the save for web feature.
Aug 6, 2007
961 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well, I guess I am the oldest of the old schoolers here... I few years ago I heard that Adobe was completely deprecating CS2 and it was available to download and I was able to download it (I think I got it from Adobe servers) and I have it installed here on my Win 10 PC for when I need to do some fast image touch ups (I have CS4 installed on my Mac Mini when I need to do large image projects). CS2 wouldn't install into Program Files (x86) so I had to create a folder called Program~2 and after some trial and errors, I was able to install it there. I also use Adobe Bridge to catalog/rename/move large folders of images. :-)
May 7, 2010
671 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Some great info on this thread. I work for a non profit and use photoshop and dreamweaver CS3. We need to upgrade, but even with a non-profit discount or through techsoup, the cost of the subscription is bonkers. I've been looking for an alternative for photoshop, and indesign. I can live without dreamweaver now. I am going to give these a try,
Nov 29, 2011
570 posts
596 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Ecsta wrote:

I started using InDesign back when it was started by Aldus. before Adobe acquired it. miss those unbloated days.