• Nov 9th, 2017 10:56 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes

Affirmative Action Battle Has a New Focus: Asian-Americans

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/a ... icans.html
By most standards, Austin Jia holds an enviable position. A rising sophomore at Duke, Mr. Jia attends one of the top universities in the country, setting him up for success.

But with his high G.P.A., nearly perfect SAT score and activities — debate team, tennis captain and state orchestra — Mr. Jia believes he should have had a fair shot at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania. Those Ivy League colleges rejected him after he applied in the fall of 2015.

It was particularly disturbing, Mr. Jia said, when classmates with lower scores than his — but who were not Asian-American, like him — were admitted to those Ivy League institutions.

The case, which is clearly aimed for the Supreme Court, puts Asian-Americans front and center in the latest stage of the affirmative action debate. The issue is whether there has been discrimination against Asian-Americans in the name of creating a diverse student body. The Justice Department, which has signaled that it is looking to investigate “intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions,” may well focus on Harvard.

The Harvard case asserts that the university’s admissions process amounts to an illegal quota system, in which roughly the same percentage of African-Americans, Hispanics, whites and Asian-Americans have been admitted year after year, despite fluctuations in application rates and qualifications.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 4234e72321

Don’t use Asian Americans to justify anti-affirmative action politics

The Trump administration’s Justice Department recently announced that it would investigate and file suit against colleges and universities whose affirmative action policies discriminate on the basis of race. This new priority is unsurprising: Conservatives have long opposed affirmative action, and cracking down on policies perceived to disadvantage white people is likely to play well with Trump’s nearly all-white base.

Yet affirmative action opponents are trying hard to argue that they are concerned about more than just white people. A comment by Roger Clegg, president of the conservative Center for Equal Opportunity, provides a window into one strategy the latest war on affirmative action will probably adopt. “It is frequently the case that not only are whites discriminated against now, but frequently Asian Americans are, as well,” Clegg said.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
62 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10285 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
There is no question that some schools take race and ethnicity into account when considering admissions in order to achieve "diversity". Harvard even admits so. High achieving minorities like Asian Americans are directly disadvantaged by these policies. The question is whether this is and should be legal.
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
Affirmative action shouldn't exist at institutions of higher learning.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4879 posts
367 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:19 am
There is no question that some schools take race and ethnicity into account when considering admissions in order to achieve "diversity". Harvard even admits so. High achieving minorities like Asian Americans are directly disadvantaged by these policies. The question is whether this is and should be legal.
It should be legal for private schools. Harder to say for public funded school like Harvard. I'd still say yes unless it negatively impact the return on those investments. Even if it did, it should not be a legal thing, government should stop investing if they don't like what the university is doing.

On the flip side, the government should not force AA onto schools either.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:44 am
It should be legal for private schools. Harder to say for public funded school like Harvard. I'd still say yes unless it negatively impact the return on those investments. Even if it did, it should not be a legal thing, government should stop investing if they don't like what the university is doing.

On the flip side, the government should not force AA onto schools either.
Harvard's a private university. So is every other university in the ivy league. The majority of universities that are ranked in the Top 50 of the United States (which also makes them the most elite in the world by endowment and on global rankings charts), are private universities. However, Harvard (like many private universities), also receive federal funding.

The top public universities in the United States have mostly gone with prohibiting taking race into account with admissions. These include the UCs (such as Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC-Irvine), University of Washington system, University of Michigan. The major exception right now being University of Texas, which was the subject of a major lawsuit.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8074 posts
2882 upvotes
Toronto
Ah would somebody think of the children here!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Cmon now... minority in the states means african-american. No other minority counts in affirmative action. I thought every1 knew this?? Hmm.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6693 posts
805 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 7:01 pm
Cmon now... minority in the states means african-american. No other minority counts in affirmative action. I thought every1 knew this?? Hmm.
Asian lives matter!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1858 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
Hard caps in the States are illegal. They can do soft caps ie a + if you are a minority.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4879 posts
367 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 7:12 pm
just because something is legal, doesnt make it "ok". Slavery, witch burning, list goes on. (I'm not debating you, just acknowledging stuff like this can go wrong)
None of them are legal today and they were probably "ok" at certain point of history.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:39 pm
Hard caps in the States are illegal. They can do soft caps ie a + if you are a minority.
Asians are the fastest growing demographic in the United States. Especially over the past few decades.

In 1992, they made up 19.1 percent of the undergraduate student body at Harvard. In 2013, they made up 18 percent.

How would you describe Harvard's continuing stagnant Asian population if not a hard cap?
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2491 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
These private schools like Harvard, Cornell, Yale, etc etc are an old boys club. Not really universities in the traditional learning sense, they are more meant as places for networking. I heard that ivy league school do some crazy bell curving to get the grades of their students up to an acceptable level. So for schools like that grades are not the most important point. I don't have any problem with that.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2551 posts
593 upvotes
Mississauga
Even George Dubya was able to get into Yale...