Off Topic

Affirmative Action Battle Has a New Focus: Asian-Americans

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 9:28 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
3973 posts
384 upvotes
high marks don't mean you're very social and street smart. they mean your family told you what to do, you're good at it, and you're obedient
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2897 posts
539 upvotes
Blame the Asians for raising the bar to Asian Level. At that level only Asians can be accepted. These schools will find excuses in not accepting them.
Can't speak English properly? Sorry!
Can't play an Instrument? No can do!
Can't socialize? We cant help you!
Can't play sports? Get out of here!
But. But. But. Jeremy Lin is Asian and in the NBA!
Who? What? Never heard of him! Get out! Get put! Security!!!!
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
792 posts
213 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:31 am
These private schools like Harvard, Cornell, Yale, etc etc are an old boys club. Not really universities in the traditional learning sense, they are more meant as places for networking. I heard that ivy league school do some crazy bell curving to get the grades of their students up to an acceptable level. So for schools like that grades are not the most important point. I don't have any problem with that.
White applicants would benefit very little by removing racial and ethnic preferences; the white acceptance rate would increase by roughly 0.5 percentage points. Asian applicants would gain the most. They would occupy four out of every five seats created by accepting fewer African-American and Hispanic students. The acceptance rate for Asian applicants would rise by one-third from nearly 18 percent to more than 23 percent. We also show that, even though athlete and legacy applicants are disproportionately white and despite the fact that athlete and alumni children admission bonuses are substantial, preferences for athletes and legacies do little to displace minority applicants, largely because athletes and legacies make up a small share of all applicants to highly selective universities.

https://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/we ... 202005.pdf
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
"legacy applicant"

That's nice term for rich douchebag.
Jul 4, 2013
32 posts
67 upvotes
In the US, the Association of American Medical Colleges keeps detailed statistics on US Medical School acceptance rate by race based on MCAT and GPA.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applica ... lea24.html

Some interesting facts:
For Asians and Whites, even with the highest GPA (3.8-4.0) and MCAT score (39-45), 7% will not be accepted into medical school. Compare this to other races and see the acceptance rates.

What is even more scary, there was someone with a 1.47-1.99 GPA and MCAT score of 21-23 who was accepted into medical school (you can guess the race), taking away a spot from a top performing student.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1244 posts
504 upvotes
Hamilton
flexgrip wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:08 pm
In the US, the Association of American Medical Colleges keeps detailed statistics on US Medical School acceptance rate by race based on MCAT and GPA.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applica ... lea24.html

Some interesting facts:
For Asians and Whites, even with the highest GPA (3.8-4.0) and MCAT score (39-45), 7% will not be accepted into medical school. Compare this to other races and see the acceptance rates.

What is even more scary, there was someone with a 1.47-1.99 GPA and MCAT score of 21-23 who was accepted into medical school (you can guess the race), taking away a spot from a top performing student.
Wouldn't it be nice if we accepted people into med school based on intelligence and merit, and not skin color. Maybe that crazy woman asking for a white doctor wasn't as crazy as we thought?
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What about Jews?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1844 posts
195 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:38 am
high marks don't mean you're very social and street smart. they mean your family told you what to do, you're good at it, and you're obedient
That's why American universities have a heavy focus on essays and extracurriculars as well. There's really no reason why admissions shouldn't be blinded to race. If someone has a unique experience of creating a successful start-up in his garage while being raised in an impoverished neighbourhood or not, what does it matter what his skin colour is?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14247 posts
3442 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... egment.cnn

Lol @ this brown guy pretending to be black to get into med school
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4516 posts
573 upvotes
Race-based Affirmative Action is abhorrent and stupid.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
Dpack22 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:52 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if we accepted people into med school based on intelligence and merit, and not skin color. Maybe that crazy woman asking for a white doctor wasn't as crazy as we thought?
She was crazy. If she didn't want brown which pretty much means Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi etc... in the medical field, where south asians abound. She should have asked for Chinese/Oriental/whatever east Asians are.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
Takada wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 8:48 am
That's why American universities have a heavy focus on essays and extracurriculars as well. There's really no reason why admissions shouldn't be blinded to race. If someone has a unique experience of creating a successful start-up in his garage while being raised in an impoverished neighbourhood or not, what does it matter what his skin colour is?
Admissions to med school can't be blind to race, since an interview is a requirement pretty much before admission for the top tier applicants. As for the extra curricualrs and all that, yes many (not all universities) look at that. There is unfortunately very little evidence that any screening tools (test scores, grades, extra curriculars, etc...) are actually valid at discriminating between individuals likely to succeed or fail. Filtering out pricks and douchebags, the holy grail of admissions committees, has been a massive failure throughout time.

An excelelnt discussion on test scores vs diversity

http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicin ... ol.14.aspx
Feb 16, 2013
321 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
I read through this whole thread, and I'm confused, are white people racist or not?
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
792 posts
213 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 9:54 am
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... egment.cnn

Lol @ this brown guy pretending to be black to get into med school
That's Mindy Kaling's brother.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."