• Oct 16th, 2017 11:17 pm
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15727 posts
466 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:52 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if we accepted people into med school based on intelligence and merit, and not skin color. Maybe that crazy woman asking for a white doctor wasn't as crazy as we thought?
Actually she WAS crazy.

1. Because the Doctors in that clinic she was yelling/screaming like a psycho, were Asian (brown = Asian, in American terms; google "indian doctors USA" for information on how much white-americans LOVE brown doctors), and this thread is about how good Asian pre-meds are

2. In Canada, we don't have race-based med school admissions, unlike the U.S.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 2:05 pm
Actually she WAS crazy.

1. Because the Doctors in that clinic she was yelling/screaming like a psycho, were Asian (brown = Asian, in American terms; google "indian doctors USA" for information on how much white-americans LOVE brown doctors), and this thread is about how good Asian pre-meds are

2. In Canada, we don't have race-based med school admissions, unlike the U.S.
http://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/md-program ... applicants
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/opinions/ ... index.html

Liberals can't handle the Asian factor in affirmative action

If you doubt that affirmative action policies in college admissions need a bright dose of sunlight, just read the first sentence of The New York Times story that purported to reveal a new Justice Department initiative to examine those policies. The story, which the administration has disputed, asserts that the aim of the Trump administration is to investigate and sue schools over actions that "discriminate against white applicants."

Do you see the problem? It's a common one in liberal defenses of affirmative action. We realize it in an admission a few sentences later in the story. The Justice Department document that The Times has obtained, you see, says nothing about white people. In fact, the document doesn't identify any specific victim of affirmative action, only the procedures of "intentional race-based discrimination."

Now, most people assume, as the Times reporter does, that white applicants are the ones who suffer when schools lower the bar for minority students. When the Supreme Court decided against Abigail Fisher in her challenge to affirmative action policies at the University of Texas, the interim president of the University of Houston Downtown predicted that while "moral order has been restored in the universe, there will be more aggrieved whites." A journalist for The Root cast threats to affirmative action as the restoration of "white-collar white supremacy."

When we look at affirmative action policies at selective institutions, though, it isn't whites who will benefit the most if they are restricted. It is, potentially, Asians.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
CheapScotch wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 5:55 am
We have AA in Canada too, only it is called Employment Equity, and it is completely legal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employmen ... y_(Canada)
They don't hide it all. Natives get "gladue" consideration when facing criminal sentencing and preferential admissions into universities. It's so very obvious when admissions ask "what race you identify with". If aa wasn't a thing, the question wouldn't be asked.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2453 posts
311 upvotes
Scarborough
Sparky9087 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:57 pm
They don't hide it all. Natives get "gladue" consideration when facing criminal sentencing and preferential admissions into universities. It's so very obvious when admissions ask "what race you identify with". If aa wasn't a thing, the question wouldn't be asked.
I have no problem.giving native Indians whatever they want. Up to a point that is fine with me. Anyone who spreads hate about them should be locked up then deported back to their ancestral lands. Including whites...back to Britain.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
812 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
why does the gov't use Asian Americans as scapegoats for anything related to education?
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
To a large extent, that alliance has held, and perhaps grown stronger, which helps explain why there has not been fiercer opposition to the various policies that effectively limited Asian-American matriculation at many selective institutions. In a brief response to the current complaint, Harvard noted that Asian-American admissions had recently ticked upward, and defended its right to “seek the educational benefits that come from a class that is diverse on multiple dimensions.” (Some institutions have also noted that Asian-Americans are underrepresented among athletes and alumni offspring, two populations often given preference.) The statement, written by the university’s general counsel, did not explicitly deny that the school discriminates against Asian-American applicants, asserting only that its practice of “considering race” is “fully compliant with the law.” From Harvard’s perspective, the charge might seem nonsensical: any admissions system that considers race and strives for rough proportionality must discriminate against some students and in favor of others. An Asian-American with high test scores may be less likely, on average, to gain admittance to an élite institution than a black or a Latino or a white applicant with those scores. But, then, an Asian-American high-school senior may be more likely to have high test scores in the first place. Under the diversity model, those two disparities might cancel each other out. There is something perverse about a notion of diversity that would require us to treat Asian-American excellence as a confounding variable to be (partially) corrected for, rather than a legacy to be celebrated.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... ersity/amp
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2753 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
The application for the school I am now attending in the UK had a long section on race/ethnicity. What stood out to me at the time was that the list of possible ethnicities was massive...I do not remember all of them but there was West African, East African, North African, South African, East Asian, South Asian, etc etc etc. and, of course, "white". I don't know if the school has quotas or in any way favours non-white applicants but the fact that they are far more interested in the racial/ethnic story of non-whites than whites seems to suggest something is up, doesn't it?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14068 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:52 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if we accepted people into med school based on intelligence and merit, and not skin color. Maybe that crazy woman asking for a white doctor wasn't as crazy as we thought?
That's what California does. Affirmative action for post-secondary schools has been illegal there for 20 years now. There's a reason that 43% of students at UC Berkeley and other California schools are Asian (East, South, SEA, islander, etc) whereas it's only around 16% everywhere else because they maintain quotas for white people and other groups.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5798 posts
220 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:21 pm
That's what California does. Affirmative action for post-secondary schools has been illegal there for 20 years now. There's a reason that 43% of students at UC Berkeley and other California schools are Asian (East, South, SEA, islander, etc) whereas it's only around 16% everywhere else because they maintain quotas for white people and other groups.
Could you provide an example of a school that maintains quotas for white people? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6547 posts
733 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:58 pm
Could you provide an example of a school that maintains quotas for white people? Thanks.
There's already been a few listed here, not to mention once you have a specific quota for 1 specific ethnicity, you automatically have a quota for all others. Theres a limited set of spots available each year.
Mar 6, 2014
342 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
The Ivy league schools don't want to admit it themselves, but all admissions offices around the world knows that having a perfect GPA or being gifted and talented doesn't mean you'll get anywhere in life. Ivy leagues are looking for people who will change the world, they are looking for billionaires, world leaders, Nobel Prize recipients and revolutionists to be in their alumni. There are not many Malalas out there, who by the way Oxford was willing to accept in a heart beat, but instead they look at your family background: if your dad is a senior government official like Senior George Bush or billionaire Lee Ka-Shing, they'll be more likely to accept you, knowing that 10 to 20 years from now you'll have a spot on the Round Table. A guy with perfect GPA will make their way into Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, McKinsey or BCG straight out of University and later excel in senior management, but that's not what they are looking for.