Off Topic

Affirmative Action Battle Has a New Focus: Asian-Americans

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 5:52 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
@Ojam that is faulty reasoning. I thought we were past "eye for an eye" dogma. By that rationale, the Aboriginals should be free to harm the people today, because of those who colonized them hundreds of years ago.

What is so wrong with equal opportunity (as opposed to equal outcome)?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Mar 7, 2017
593 posts
175 upvotes
Ham, ON
Ojam wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 3:29 pm
As a straight white man I know that other ethnicities and minorities have not had the same opportunities I have had and because of this, sometimes minorities might be given preferential treatment in order to make up for that. Do I think that is fair? It's not, but it hasn't been fair in the other direction for a very long time, do I think it shouldn't matter, yes. I do think the only factor should ability and hopefully in the long term that's the way our society will go, but right now it's not. We are in the difficult messy middle ground between some being more equal and all actually being equal.
Perhaps you interpreted my question as being rhetorical, it wasn't. The answer is NO, it is NOT a problem to point out discrimination against white men. Why? Because discrimination is WRONG, and unethical. It is wrong for everyone, not just certain groups of people.

It seems @Micelli_Illuminatti beat me to pointing out your cognitive dissonance. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT.
So what is society to do? Well we can ensure everyone has equal opportunity, and with some time everything will work itself out. OR, we can make some people "more equal than others" as you put it, which I will argue does nothing productive for society, in addition to fostering hate towards these people who get into schools while being radically below the cut off line, or get jobs while being grossly unqualified.
Your guilt for being the person you were born as does not justify mistreatment of your own race, as you so clearly feel guilty on it's behalf.
Remember the whole "IT'S OKAY TO BE WHITE" campaign? That was started for people like you, to demonstrate the mass hypocrisy of the left. Things are either acceptable for everyone, or nobody. Do you think there would have been a massive uproar if the posters read "IT'S OKAY TO BE BLACK", or even "IT'S OKAY TO BE INDIGENOUS"... absolutely not, and that is the double standard that infuriates so many people.

So ultimately, do you want your children to have opportunities withheld from them because they are white, in the name of "justice" for things that happened before they were born? If you answer yes to that, well, then I guess you should continue down the road you are on.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
@DealFixation I didn't think this was real, but apparently the phenomenon exists. There are white guys who are ashamed for being white. You're like, wait, what?
Mar 7, 2017
593 posts
175 upvotes
Ham, ON
@Micelli_Illuminatti I agree it is quite surprising, but that is the environment the propaganda machine (western media, TV show personality "norms", social "justice" movements etc) has manipulated into being commonplace.
The destruction of the traditional family system is at the root of so many problems in todays society. Young men no longer have male role models growing up to show them the way, which leads to many lost souls believing unconditionally what sites like Buzzfeed and other cancerous outlets want them to believe.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
@DealFixation Anecdotally, I hear there is a number of Canadian men going overseas to get married and then "importing" their wives here from more conservative jurisdictions. The rationale being that if it works for certain minority groups, it should work for the majority, or so it goes. Some Canadian women are doing it too, with overseas husbands. Time will tell if it works, I guess...
Mar 1, 2011
176 posts
16 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 4:43 pm
@DealFixation Anecdotally, I hear there is a number of Canadian men going overseas to get married and then "importing" their wives here from more conservative jurisdictions. The rationale being that if it works for certain minority groups, it should work for the majority, or so it goes. Some Canadian women are doing it too, with overseas husbands. Time will tell if it works, I guess...
You mean the beta males who can't find a partner here so they have to go overseas to find a wife? I don't think it has to do with wanting a more conservative partner that's just what they tell themselves since they can't get anyone over here.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
@studentoflife We're now off the thread topic. But to answer you, there's nothing wrong to be picky. The mindset of women in their 20s and 30s leave a lot to be desired, at least those from the TO area. You get tired of hooking up with women that, while attractive and financially successful, are emotionally bankrupt and incredibly needy or suffer from poor self-esteem. At some point, you don't want to make concessions, anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1135 posts
270 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
As a straight white man I know that other ethnicities and minorities have not had the same opportunities I have had and because of this, sometimes minorities might be given preferential treatment in order to make up for that. Do I think that is fair? It's not, but it hasn't been fair in the other direction for a very long time, do I think it shouldn't matter, yes. I do think the only factor should ability and hopefully in the long term that's the way our society will go, but right now it's not. We are in the difficult messy middle ground between some being more equal and all actually being equal.
Ojam, I volunteer you to help this Micelli dude out. And yes I'm asking you because you declared yourself to be a straight white man, and it seems like you're the only rational one who might be able to get through to him. :D
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1135 posts
270 upvotes
studentoflife wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 5:00 pm
You mean the beta males who can't find a partner here so they have to go overseas to find a wife? I don't think it has to do with wanting a more conservative partner that's just what they tell themselves since they can't get anyone over here.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
I propose you are merely rationalizing selective racism. Some people who lived hundreds of years ago did X to others, so it's okay for others to do Y to people, today.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
9284 posts
14153 upvotes
Equality is leveling the playing field.
Equity is more for those who need it.

Should students who come from less get more in order to catch up? Yes, this involves generalizations of groups.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1856 posts
620 upvotes
ishfish wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 6:12 pm
Equality is leveling the playing field.
Equity is more for those who need it.

Should students who come from less get more in order to catch up? Yes, this involves generalizations of groups.

Let's think practically. You have to choose a new family doctor. Do you go with the Asian doctor, who had to have higher than average grades and had to study twice as much, because there's a bias against his race employed by universities. OR a black doctor, who got into med school because of affirmative action?

One would think you'd go for the better doctor. But that's just me and my desire to keep on living. :)
Mar 1, 2011
176 posts
16 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 5:16 pm
@studentoflife We're now off the thread topic. But to answer you, there's nothing wrong to be picky. The mindset of women in their 20s and 30s leave a lot to be desired, at least those from the TO area. You get tired of hooking up with women that, while attractive and financially successful, are emotionally bankrupt and incredibly needy or suffer from poor self-esteem. At some point, you don't want to make concessions, anymore.
lol you should just be honest with yourself. men who have success with women here are not running off to foreign countries to marry women from poor areas. It's the unattractive, weird and/or beta males who can't get anyone here. These are the types that will marry any chick that shows the slightest interest. They're idea of a traditional wife is someone that can bang, cook and clean on demand. If you think women from those areas don't have emotional issues i have bad news for you.

Anyways back to the topic at hand lol
Last edited by studentoflife on Apr 16th, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8962 posts
2012 upvotes
Trump University
TBH I don't think a lot of people understand affirmative action and stuff like that. I'll basically try and explain.

Say I, Corleone187, created my own country and I have 2 people to start off my country - @Ojam and @Micelli_Illuminatti

Day #1.
I start off by giving @Ojam $100 every day and @Micelli_Illuminatti $1 every day, just because.

Within a month @Ojam has enough to buy a house, @Micelli_Illuminatti is still saving up his $1/day
In 2 months @Ojam buys another house while @Micelli_Illuminatti is still saving up his $1/day
...and so on

Fast forward 20 years - @Ojam has now bought every house in the city and @Micelli_Illuminatti finally has enough to buy his 1st house.

Suddenly @Micelli_Illuminatti says to me: "This is BS, you're paying @Ojam $100/day and me only $1/day"

I say to @Micelli_Illuminatti "you're right, I've been unfair to you all these years, from now on I will give you EACH $100/day to be fair!"

Fast forward 1 year - @Ojam still owns every house in the city and @Micelli_Illuminatti still owns his 1 house.

@Micelli_Illuminatti then says to me: "This is BS, you cheated me all these years, @Ojam owns every house in the city and I still only have 1"

I say to @Micelli_Illuminatti "Fine, from now on I will pay you $200/day and @Ojam $100/day to make up for all those years!"

Fast forward 1 year - @Ojam still owns every house in the city and @Micelli_Illuminatti still owns his 1 house.

@Micelli_Illuminatti says to me "This is BS @Ojam owns every house in the city and he won't sell to me at a reasonable price"

I then say to @Micelli_Illuminatti "Fine! From now on I will pay you $1000 every day and I will pay @Ojam only $100/day"

Fast forward 1 year - @Micelli_Illuminatti dies and @Ojam dies

Now I pay @Micelli_Illuminatti "Junior" $1000 day and @Ojam "Junior" $100/day

@Ojam Junior suddenly says to me "WTH Corleone187, This is unfair, why am I only getting $100/day while @Micelli_Illuminatti Junior is getting $1000/day?" - (not realizing his privilege)
And everyone is now clueless

So that's basically where we're at.

The bottom line is once you start a sh*tstorm it's impossible to balance things back to a neutral state no matter how you try to compensate or overcompensate, you will never get back to that neutral balance. 1 side will always have more and 1 side will always have less. So the lesson is treat everyone fairly AT THE START or you will never be able to balance things out again.
Last edited by Corleone187 on Apr 16th, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Life is Good 😎
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1135 posts
270 upvotes
studentoflife wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 6:17 pm
lol you should just be honest with yourself. men who have success with women here are not running off to foreign countries to marry women from poor areas. It's the unattractive, weird and/or beta males who can't get anyone here. These are the types that will marry any chick that shows the slightest interest. They're idea of a traditional wife is someone that can bang, cook and clean on demand. If you think women from those areas don't have emotional issues i have bad news for you.
Micelli take this guy's advice.