Affordable waterproof Camera

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 10:31 am
[OP]
Mar 11, 2007
728 posts
35 upvotes

Affordable waterproof Camera

Just booked a vacation with the wife and baby to the Caribbean. Usually I take my dslr and a couple of lenses but being our first vacation of her, I do not want to lug that camera around.

So we are going to use our phones for photos. We have a samsung galaxy note 5 and iphone se at our disposal. I also have an older sony point an shoot camera.

I wanted to take some underwater/pool photos and was looking for a cheap solution to get this done. We tried the disposable camera last time...lets just say i on vacation I thought I took great photos but when we developed them, they were crap lol..

Any advice? I would like to keep this under 200. It has to have an lcd to review the photo I will not being taking an laptop or tablet with me.

I remember there being those chinese go pros but I cannot remember the name or if they are any good.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1668 posts
159 upvotes
I bought a GoPro knockoff (Akaso) on Amazon for ~$100 for our cruise and both the photos & videos were amazing!

There were underwater & fast-moving photos and videos, both turned out awesome.

You need to play around with the settings and take some test shoots before your journey and adjust as necessary. Also, get some spare batteries and micro sd cards.
Aug 16, 2011
794 posts
211 upvotes
Kitchener
you can get waterproof cases for your phones pretty easily...
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4995 posts
692 upvotes
Panasonic TS-30 is your best bet for under $200. I've had my TS-2 since it came out, a good 5 years or so. It's loaned out to family and friends, so it's been around the world many times but taken care of. It lacks some of the features in high-end waterproof cameras such as GPS, wifi, bluetooth, NFC, barometer, altimeter, depth meter and landmark with voice tag. Due to the small size of the lens, it's best used in bright, sunny locations... like the beach. :D
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Dec 6, 2012
133 posts
34 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Fujifilm makes them for years, I have an XP75, every year they change the number like XP120 now but they are essentially the same, less than $200 on sale, they are sold by WM, BB, drug stores, etc.
I have one for 4 or 5 years now and it works well in pool, water slides, sea, etc.
Sep 8, 2006
271 posts
66 upvotes
Edmonton
We have a Fuji XP and it does it's job. We got ours from Shoppers Drug Mart when they were on clearance so it was a great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5908 posts
816 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a Fujifilm XP. Brought it with me into the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 31, 2007
501 posts
201 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got a Nikon 3 years back for the same reason, my little girls love those under water shoot.
I am going Puna Cana in a week and really looking for it.
Feb 7, 2017
554 posts
321 upvotes
Ya those disposable cameras truly suck. Only did that once, and out of a roll of film (what I too thought were great photos) only got like 4 or 5 half decent shots. Plus the whole package... Initial Purchase & Processing was not that cheap

Like others have said...

You can get a waterproof case (actually more of an envelope for your cell phone). Personally though I'd be too chicken to risk it... Cause my so-called waterproof wallet leaked on my last Caribbean adventure... And in that case it was just my money & plastic cards that got wet.

We talked to others in the scuba world, and they recommended either the Panasonic or the FujiFilm (both mentioned here) or a GoPro. We went with the GoPro because of so many reasons... Great video, small, lightweight, lots of great accessories, and of course various other ways to use it on vacation Including hands-free (zip lining anyone). No regrets.
May 2, 2017
31 posts
1 upvote
Nikon works fine in water shoots. My friend is using it for last 2 year and not a complaint yet.
"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." ~ Bruce Lee