Off Topic Archive

Locked: African sponsorship charities: Real or Scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2011 12:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1683 upvotes

African sponsorship charities: Real or Scam?

Im thinking to sponsor and help out 2-3 needy children for a year. Does anybody have experience with this? Do they really write you back and are they for real?
I already donate to other charities whenever I can but this sort of direct intervention with a face and knowing that you could make a tiny difference in their lives is very comforting. Does anybody have any experience or current membership that can chip in their thoughts before I sign up?

Thanks
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Share:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
What? The Christians Children fund? They are legitimate to my understanding.

The government keeps a registry of charities. You can search.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lst ... u-eng.html

----

Not to be pessimist, but people will cash in when they can - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/ ... 2813.shtml
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
Sep 28, 2009
220 posts
4 upvotes
almost all the countries they profile have MINISTRIES OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN AFFAIRS.. if they really cared, all they would have to do is take their grievances to these ministries and force them to act. But off course this will put a lot of people out of charity related jobs.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3284 posts
136 upvotes
ibeblunt wrote:
Nov 4th, 2011 1:00 pm
almost all the countries they profile have MINISTRIES OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN AFFAIRS.. if they really cared, all they would have to do is take their grievances to these ministries and force them to act. But off course this will put a lot of people out of charity related jobs.

So you're saying administration is to blame for extreme poverty?
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
ibeblunt wrote:
Nov 4th, 2011 1:00 pm

What are you saying here? If they care about what? What are these "grievances" you speak of? Poverty and starvation are not "grievances" that you can just fix by setting up a government ministry.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2881 posts
166 upvotes
mrperfect wrote:
Nov 4th, 2011 12:37 pm
Im thinking to sponsor and help out 2-3 needy children for a year. Does anybody have experience with this? Do they really write you back and are they for real?
I already donate to other charities whenever I can but this sort of direct intervention with a face and knowing that you could make a tiny difference in their lives is very comforting. Does anybody have any experience or current membership that can chip in their thoughts before I sign up?

Thanks

I've heard Plan Canada is a good one, and it's non-denominational, so they're not forcing christian dogma on the kids. I have a friend who was sponsoring a child through CCF and was pretty distrubed by the increasing amounts of praising jesus in her child's letters as time went on. Personally, I donate to MSF (aka Doctors Without Borders), as I think child sponsorship charities having to make sure each donor gets those personal letters and updates must take away time and money from the cause.
Banned
Oct 26, 2011
139 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Some of the smartest dummies
Can't read the language of Egyptian mummies
An' a fly go a moon
And can't find food for the starving tummies
Pay no mind to the youths
Cause it's not like the future depends on it
But save the animals in the zoo
Cause the chimpanzee dem a make big money
This is how the media pillages
On the TV the picture is
Savages in villages
And the scientist still can't explain the pyramids, huh
Evangelists making a living on the videos of ribs of the little kids
Stereotyping the image of the images
And this is what the imaging is

You buy a khaki pants
And all of a sudden you say a Indiana Jones
An' a thief out gold and thief out the scrolls and even the buried bones
Some of the worst paparazzis I've ever seen and I ever known
Put the worst on display so the world can see
And that's all they will ever show
So the ones in the west
Will never move east
And feel like they could be at home
Dem get tricked by the beast
But a where dem ago flee when the monster is fully grown?
Solomonic linage whe dem still can't defeat and them coulda never clone
My spiritual DNA that print in my soul and I will forever Own Lord

Huh, we born not knowing, are we born knowing all?
We growing wiser, are we just growing tall?
Can you read thoughts? can you read palms?
Huh, can you predict the future? can you see storms coming?
The Earth was flat if you went too far you would fall off
Now the Earth is round if the shape change again everybody woulda start laugh
The average man can't prove of most of the things that he chooses to speak of
And still won't research and find out the root of the truth that you seek of
Scholars teach in Universities and claim that they're smart and cunning
Tell them find a cure when we sneeze and that's when their nose start running
And the rich get stitched up, when we get cut
Man a heal dem broken bones in the bush with the wed mud
Can you read signs? can you read stars?
Can you make peace? can you fight war?
Can you milk cows, even though you drive cars? huh
Can you survive, Against All Odds, Now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAo9vMyUXwQ

lol.. first thing to come to my head when i read the title
May 1, 2010
242 posts
2 upvotes
i will say those tv ads you see of the african kids on tv...the people who operate those companies make a TON OF MONEY .. not saying they dont donate or help some kids in africa..they probably do, but its not how it seems
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
Laflare wrote:
Nov 5th, 2011 5:25 pm
i will say those tv ads you see of the african kids on tv...the people who operate those companies make a TON OF MONEY .. not saying they dont donate or help some kids in africa..they probably do, but its not how it seems

It's probably a low percentage of the donations that they actually do donate to the kids In the need and the rest goes to them..
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Laflare wrote:
Nov 5th, 2011 5:25 pm
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 5th, 2011 5:38 pm
It's probably a low percentage of the donations that they actually do donate to the kids In the need and the rest goes to them..

You could rationalize your decision not to give like this, or you could do a bit of research into how efficient each charity actually is.

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/char ... d1=a&sc1=0
Banned
Oct 26, 2011
139 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
BornRuff wrote:
Nov 5th, 2011 5:54 pm
You could rationalize your decision not to give like this, or you could do a bit of research into how efficient each charity actually is.

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/char ... d1=a&sc1=0

it seems you fall for anything from what i read
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17067 posts
1418 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The problem with charities is that there is too many of them! It's like Goodwill. Before you would "donate" your unused clothes to a Goodwill bin location knowing that it will be put in good use. Now you got all these bins in malls not marked "Goodwill" wanting your clothes. Some of them will even call your home and ask for it! It's hard to tell what charity is legitimate and what is not.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1683 upvotes
jerrysiz wrote:
Nov 5th, 2011 8:54 am
I've heard Plan Canada is a good one, and it's non-denominational, so they're not forcing christian dogma on the kids. I have a friend who was sponsoring a child through CCF and was pretty distrubed by the increasing amounts of praising jesus in her child's letters as time went on. Personally, I donate to MSF (aka Doctors Without Borders), as I think child sponsorship charities having to make sure each donor gets those personal letters and updates must take away time and money from the cause.

Thanks for the input and I totally agree with every word, I was exactly looking for something like that, Ive decided to go with PlanCanada.

Thanks again.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Sometimes 95+% of the donated money goes into the salaries of the people that run the charities. It's tough to pick a charity when it's such a big business and there are no guarantees on where your money is going. I would choose one that guarantees at least 70 cents on the dollar goes directly to the cause.

You could donate to this one. I know the guy that runs it personally. His family immigrated to Canada and he is doing very well with his business so he started this orphanage as his way of giving back.

http://chiproms.com/
× < >