After car accident, neck pain and shoulder numbness

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 12:56 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
5 posts
4 upvotes

After car accident, neck pain and shoulder numbness

Hi, 4 years ago I got rear ended and suffer neck and shoulder pain. Fast forward to last year, I began feeling numbness and needle and pin sensation on my right hand in addition to my neck and back pain. A neck MRI examination shows there are problems on my neck. I am not sure how serious is my condition. Here is the report:
1. C2-C3: There is a large central disc extrusion or ossified osteocartilaginous bar. This is not well perceptible on T2-weighted imaging but is nicely seen on T1-weighted imaging. This impresses on the ventral thecal sac with no focal cord edema at this level.

2.C3-C4: Broad -based disc bulge with posterior osteocartilaginous bar and mild spinal stenosis. There is focal cord edema in the dorsal column on both the right and left. Size more prominent on the right side. There is no myelomalacia.

3. C4-C5: Posterior osteocartilaginous bar

4.C5-C6: Broad-based disc bulge with uncovertebral joint hypertrophy and degenerative change otherwise normal.

5.C6-C7: Broad-based disc bulge.

How serious is my problem. What are my treatment options? I am in my mid 30s and this is really affecting my daily activities including work. Does my neck problem has to do with the car accident? My family doctor said it has nothing to do with the car accident. I researched online and I think I am too young to have these kind of neck problems described in the MRI report and other way to have the central disc extrusion is thru trauma or car accident.

How can I talk to my doctor so the insurance company can pay me for physiotherapy treatments? And more importantly, what are my options to fix my neck problems and how serious is it?
Thanks
6 replies
Dec 25, 2006
216 posts
103 upvotes
Winnipeg
trace_me wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 12:35 am
My family doctor said it has nothing to do with the car accident. I researched online and I think I am too young to have these kind of neck problems described in the MRI report and other way to have the central disc extrusion is thru trauma or car accident.

How can I talk to my doctor so the insurance company can pay me for physiotherapy treatments? And more importantly, what are my options to fix my neck problems and how serious is it?
Thanks
This may be a bit harsh but here it goes:

Your own doctor says it has nothing to do with the accident.

You, with no medical training or experience have come to the idea that it is because of online research you've done.

Now you come to an online forum to ask for a medical diagnosis from people that have no training and/or haven't seen the mri results themselves?

If you're not happy with your doctor's answer - get a second opinion from another doctor - in person.

This is my advice and opinion as best I can convey it.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4519 posts
244 upvotes
You need to ask a medical doctor your questions, not an Internet forum.

Get another opinion.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
5 posts
4 upvotes
I will get second opinion from another doctor for sure. In the meantime, maybe there is some professionals or people who have similar experience can share their stories so I know what to expect for my situation. Also what kind of note is needed from doctor that's acceptable by insurance company.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4830 posts
710 upvotes
trace_me,

It may be serious. Definitely get another opinion from another doctor, and soon.

As for what makes you eligible for coverage by your insurance: that all depends on what kind of insurance package you have. Not every company or package has the same requirements. You need to contact your own insurance company to find out what is needed.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11827 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
I got rear ended in an accident over 1 year ago and went for treatment/xrays at the time as I was in pain. Waiting this long means it may be other things or degeneration.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5699 posts
275 upvotes
BC
If the accident was 4 years ago, even if this is from the accident, I think too much time has passed to get any kind of insurance for anything. A couple of years ago when I was in a car accident it was clear from the start that I had only 2 years to contact a lawyer about injuries.

I dont know your location, or if location matters.
That's my 2cents worth