Cell Phones

After years of iOS I want to go to android.. which phone to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 7:48 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

After years of iOS I want to go to android.. which phone to buy?

Hey everyone, so first off I’m not an Apple only person, I just like the phone OS but lately I’ve been so frustrated by it that I just don’t care now and want to switch.

I have a mint condition iPhone 7 128gb with an otter box case and screen protector on it and would like a similarly powered if not better android phone but have no idea what to get.

My friend bought a Pixel 2 XL and likes it so I’m considering that.

If it matters I’m looking to buy outright and not on contract.
25 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
Is camera performance a major consideration? The one thing about android is that you can buy really well priced devices as well as those which rival iPhone pricing. Camera performance seems to be a major driver for pricing as is CPU and large amounts of storage. Personally, I detest carrier brands which add lots of their own bloatware and do not provide timely software support. I agree with pixel as an option to investigate. The one plus brand is another that offers good software support with little bloatware added to their phones. Recently many of us jumped on the essential phone bandwagon, principally because of very low pricing. Telus seems to have sold their stock and are not replenishing. The resale market is the only option. These are a few samples brands to think about for now.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
will888 wrote: Is camera performance a major consideration? The one thing about android is that you can buy really well priced devices as well as those which rival iPhone pricing. Camera performance seems to be a major driver for pricing as is CPU and large amounts of storage. Personally, I detest carrier brands which add lots of their own bloatware and do not provide timely software support. I agree with pixel as an option to investigate. The one plus brand is another that offers good software support with little bloatware added to their phones. Recently many of us jumped on the essential phone bandwagon, principally because of very low pricing. Telus seems to have sold their stock and are not replenishing. The resale market is the only option. These are a few samples brands to think about for now.
I would like a pretty good camera on it as I don’t have an actual camera right now and travel more now.

I’ll look into oneplus, pixel 2 and possibly that essential phone. I haven’t heard many great things about it though. Water resistance is something I’d want and the ability to use android pay.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Pixel 2 XL or OnePlus 6
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Well if you want Water Resistance then Pixel or Galaxy.

I can't recommend Huawei P20 Pro for someone to switch because their OS is horrendous not to mention poor resale value.

I didn't have luck with my S9+ with poor battery life hence why I sold it. Not sure if it was just my unit or Samsung needs to address it.

If it is just bad luck then I say go with S9+ because it gives you so much more unless you really want the "best" camera then Pixel XL.

I'm waiting for OnePlus to release the Silk White 6. I can live with Splash Proof and don't give two ***** about the Camera. Sure it doesn't have Wireless Charging, (they're saving it for 6T) but Dash Charging makes up for it. OnePlus IMO is the best value and love that it's Dual SIM.

I'm also using the Essential and as posted the price was too good to pass up. I actually like it more than I thought.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
72 upvotes
Hola
As others have said, consider the Pixel 2 line of devices. Quite frankly to get the most reliable type of software experience that can sometimes match that from Apple, stick with Google Pixel phones. To get the best customer support, buy the device directly from Google, yes it will cost more than going through a local carrier but dealing with Google has been excellent usually across the board in terms of after-sale support.

Again my suggestion is based on your experience with iOS devices, there are not many Android OEMs that can provide the level of support, software updates, and decent quality devices...
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1311 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you are using a small iPhone 7, go for Pixel 2 not the 2XL. It has all the benefits of the Google software in a small package. However be prepared to find compatible headphones unless you have wireless earbuds because there is no headphone in the box and no headphone jack.
-
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just ordered oneplus 6 today. Going to sell my s8+ soon. PM me if interested
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
raid3050 wrote: Lg g7
Only if you happen to be in the market for a TV at the same time. Just kidding. Dumbest sales gimmick ever! Why not drop the price by $500.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I keep getting tempted every couple years to go from iOS to Android. I just received a Samsung A8 from Koodo yesterday, and got frustrated by all the far-reaching requests for permissions. It's going back today.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
bembol wrote: not to mention poor resale value.
Huawei's flagships have amazing resale value

The P10 Plus is still $450+ all day. Mate 10 Pro is still around $800
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
lefroset wrote: I keep getting tempted every couple years to go from iOS to Android. I just received a Samsung A8 from Koodo yesterday, and got frustrated by all the far-reaching requests for permissions. It's going back today.
Weird complaint. If you do not feel like giving certain permission, just do not give then
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
danieltoronto wrote: Weird complaint. If you do not feel like giving certain permission, just do not give then
I don't think it's weird that I appreciate being spared the tedium of being asked and denying every damn app from access to my contacts etc etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
lefroset wrote: I don't think it's weird that I appreciate being spared the tedium of being asked and denying every damn app from access to my contacts etc etc.
I see complaints against a cell (e.g. display, ergonomics, size, costs, warranty works, shapes, process speed, heat generated......) all the time.
I never saw one, pardon my ignorance, like what you raised.
Also you only set the access allowed once, not every week, for that particular app.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
I think Samsung S8 or S9 is good for most people. They're pretty good at most things, no huge weaknesses. Pixel 2 line is good for hardcore people who care a lot about stock Android, but I find the average Android user doesn't know enough or care enough lol (I'm talking about the general public). Also, its probably a bit easier to get a good deal on a S8 or S9, Pixel 2 line probably harder to come by a great deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
lefroset wrote: I don't think it's weird that I appreciate being spared the tedium of being asked and denying every damn app from access to my contacts etc etc.
You'd prefer it just give every app permission without your consent?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Viper98 wrote: You'd prefer it just give every app permission without your consent?
Sufficient response to your spurious question was provided in what you quoted, if you read it properly.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
lefroset wrote: Sufficient response to your spurious question was provided in what you quoted, if you read it properly.
Ok.

Just go buy a flip phone, because you obviously don't understand how apps need access to stuff to function. You can't just blanket deny permission to all apps, or it WILL cause those apps not to work properly. A number of apps REQUIRE access to certain things, and that is why it asks you on a per app basis. It gives you the choice if you want to break the app by denying it permissions.