Automotive

The aftermarket car audio thread : Questions welcomed! :)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 12:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5459 posts
1511 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Anyone, a recommendation for a good head unit that plays flac files, steering wheel control ready either on it's own or with a module, and can stream audio from a phone via blue tooth, not just phone calls. I need both a double din and a single din?
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
ncc.1701 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 9:55 pm
still do not get the answer - do you recommend single din or double din? any particular units recommended?

What is the budget expected, assuming using professional installer.
Copied from previous post - "If this was going to be an expensive SQ biased install, I'd push you towards a good single DIN. Double DIN will probably work best for you."

The reason for the above is that dollar for dollar, a typical single DIN packs in better components than a double DIN. However, unless you are installing high end equipment and are a seasoned enthusiast, you probably won't pick up on the difference easily.

Go through the options at Crutchfield, BestBuy, Amazon etc and pick a Double DIN that has the features you need, at a price that works for you. Personally, I am partial towards those with Apple carplay / Android auto. Brand wise - partial to Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer.

As for budget, I'm not sure what installers in GTA are charging these days. Starting late summer / fall of 2016, an old friend who is also a very capable audio installer, will be setting up shop in GTA. I will have a better idea then. However, looking at current equipment prices online, it seems good SQ for a starting system (upgraded HU+Front speakers+Amp) can be had around $1k with install.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
baluyot wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 10:11 pm
For 2015 XV/Impreza w/o nav I want to install Pioneer 4100NEX with Android Auto. What do I need to make sure the OEM steering wheel controls, mic, USB port, aux in port, backup camera all still work? What parts do I need and where can I source them at a decent price? I would also need instructions how to remove existing unit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I would hit NASIOC and XV specific forums for this info. Crutchfield also lets you select your car and find products that should be a direct fit.
Finally, you can message these guys too - http://autoharnesshouse.com/49021.html
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 10:51 pm
Can you recommend a slim profile sub that will fit under a seat? I'm thinking of adding a kick but don't want to take up trunk space..
Do the dimensions of this box work for your application? http://www.amazon.ca/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-C ... B00BO8O9XQ

Read THIS and THIS for more reviews of these.

That being said, I will advise you to be very careful with these as they are pretty easy to wet and damaged in the winter / during rains. Close alternative is to fabricate a fiberglass subwoofer mount into a corner of the trunk OR to fabricate a subwoofer cage where the space tire is.

Now, for added kick, you can also look into just replacing the front sound stage with some good quality component speakers and powering them up with an amplifier. You might be surprised at the results :)
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
betamaxman wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 11:12 pm
Anyone, a recommendation for a good head unit that plays flac files, steering wheel control ready either on it's own or with a module, and can stream audio from a phone via blue tooth, not just phone calls. I need both a double din and a single din?

If you can find a steering wheel controls related module for your use, this is probably a good VFM option that fits your criteria - http://www.amazon.ca/PIONEER-DEHX8700BH ... 00O8B7BWC/
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16630 posts
1494 upvotes
Space for rent
ScarySkulls wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 11:09 pm
Do the dimensions of this box work for your application? http://www.amazon.ca/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-C ... B00BO8O9XQ

Read THIS and THIS for more reviews of these.

That being said, I will advise you to be very careful with these as they are pretty easy to wet and damaged in the winter / during rains. Close alternative is to fabricate a fiberglass subwoofer mount into a corner of the trunk OR to fabricate a subwoofer cage where the space tire is.

Now, for added kick, you can also look into just replacing the front sound stage with some good quality component speakers and powering them up with an amplifier. You might be surprised at the results :)
I just want to 'feel' my music. I"ve never had any sort of big sub woofer experience except when I bought the Logitech Z680 many years back and that sub's vibration as I gamed and watched movies with it sitting just 1-2 feet away from my feet was some experience.

I'll look into those suggestions. Just wished installers weren't so gouging. .
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 7:27 am
I just want to 'feel' my music. I"ve never had any sort of big sub woofer experience except when I bought the Logitech Z680 many years back and that sub's vibration as I gamed and watched movies with it sitting just 1-2 feet away from my feet was some experience.

I'll look into those suggestions. Just wished installers weren't so gouging. .
I've always had the same answer to "feel music" comments.. Whether that was today, 5 years ago or 10 years ago.

The answer is - Front soundstage. Until one has that part down pat, simply adding a subwoofer only makes the whole experience muddy and frankly, no fun.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16630 posts
1494 upvotes
Space for rent
ScarySkulls wrote:
Feb 25th, 2016 4:58 pm
I've always had the same answer to "feel music" comments.. Whether that was today, 5 years ago or 10 years ago.

The answer is - Front soundstage. Until one has that part down pat, simply adding a subwoofer only makes the whole experience muddy and frankly, no fun.
Ok man, suggest something for me. I wanted to make an appointment with one of those tint-audio shops but they were trying to sell me some $400 subwoofer that you can get on Amazon for less than half.

I get they need to make money to stay in business but that's not doing me any favours. I looked at DIYs on Youtube but I'll likely cause a short in the circuit and burn my car to a crisp.

Can you recommend something with a lot of kick? I"m guessing you're referring to the two speakers in the front doors?

This is a track I'm absolutely jonesing to right now... I's gots to feel it, ya feel me? lol...
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
Haha, I feel you man. So what's your ride? Maybe that will help simplify suggestions for me.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
A gentleman PM'ed me a couple of weeks ago regarding his 2011 Civic. I'm sorry it took me a while to circle back to this thread, but I will answer the question here so that other users in similar situation might also benefit.

1) Basic equipment and installation -
Please read the CRUTCHFIELD and SONIX artciles on these same cars. Both of them combined have done a pretty great job.

2) Damping -
I believe this has not been covered in the above links. On models that are not luxury focussed, the NVH characteristics are not super high on priority. I personally believe that a very important part of enjoying your music and making your driving a lot less stressful is to block out unnecessary outside noise. Things like tire noise, exhaust drone, wind noise etc. have a pretty big effect on how fatigued you are after each road trip... not to mention the effect on your music enjoyment. Probably the most "popular" (not necessarily the best) brand in this space is Dynamat. Other popular choices that I like are B-Quiet (Canadian origin but price is quoted in USD) and Second Skin (US based and very good quality).

3) Misc questions -

- Component v/s Co-axial speakers?
Short answer - Components for front for sure. Save your money for back and simply run co-axials or nothing at all (if you are usually the only person in the car most of the time).

- Amplifier or not?
Short answer - Yes please. The headunits only provide 16-18W RMS power per channel. You need atleast 30W RMS per channel before speakers start to operate properly / start to cover the complete spectrum of sound. This leaves us with only one choice - an external amplifier.

- Does high end equipment guarantee great sound?
Short answer - I would say NO. I have always said that equipment is only 40-50% of the total equation. Remaining 50-60% percent is installation quality and professional tuning.

Please feel free to post further questions. Thanks and let me know if I can help in any other way.
Jul 4, 2009
327 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a 4 channel amplifier pushing 60 watts RMS to my 4 speakers. The brand I got was RE audio from SonicElectronix:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_437 ... EX5.7.html

Occasionally while I'm playing it at higher volumes the speakers start to spark when the bass hits. I already put on the high pass filter and the bass is @ -6 already. I have the gain at about 40%, I can't figure out why it's staticing or sparking like that. I have two noise filters on the RCA's also for the front and back too.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11831 posts
1289 upvotes
Kanata
rumtillidie wrote:
Mar 14th, 2016 10:03 am
I have a 4 channel amplifier pushing 60 watts RMS to my 4 speakers. The brand I got was RE audio from SonicElectronix:

Occasionally while I'm playing it at higher volumes the speakers start to spark when the bass hits. I already put on the high pass filter and the bass is @ -6 already. I have the gain at about 40%, I can't figure out why it's staticing or sparking like that. I have two noise filters on the RCA's also for the front and back too.
What speakers do you have? What is the RMS on the speakers?
Mar 8, 2016
11 posts
1 upvote
I just bought a new 2016 civic EX and it has an 8 speaker system but am not really impressed with the sound. (Coming from a old Audi A4 with Bose Audio). Would my plan of attack be upgrading the door speakers to improve the quality? Having a subwoofer would be nice but I'm more concerned about overall audio quality - not just bass
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
305 posts
73 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
rumtillidie wrote:
Mar 14th, 2016 10:03 am

Wow! Sparking is no good, especially when you have spent some good chunk of change on your system (from the looks of it).
I would get this looked at immediately. Sparking is a fire hazard and you shouldn't really be using the system at all.

If the wiring config is ok and you have determined that there is no shorting going on due to vibration / bad connections, then get the speaker checked for faulty operation.

AudiEH4 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2016 12:44 pm
I just bought a new 2016 civic EX and it has an 8 speaker system but am not really impressed with the sound. (Coming from a old Audi A4 with Bose Audio). Would my plan of attack be upgrading the door speakers to improve the quality? Having a subwoofer would be nice but I'm more concerned about overall audio quality - not just bass
Hi! Nice car! How do you find the NA engine compared to the Turbo for daily driving?

As for the sound, yes, that seems like a good plan of action. Set aside some budget for damping and gradual upgrade of the speakers. A set of proper component speakers up front powered by an amplifier will really make the music come alive for you. You can put in a small-ish subwoofer later on to round off the complete package when you are ready to do so.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9134 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
If I wanted to change the speakers in my 2015 Cherokee (not the premium system) what would be a good option for 4 6x9 speakers without an amp, if I wanted to add an amp what would be a good one at a moderate price to add? I've only really stuck to JL Audio but they're pretty expensive for speakers