Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
DirectCanada

Again, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB $249.69 @ directcanada.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2012 7:55 pm
Tags:
None
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1998 posts
1581 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just bought one. I got the automaticated telephone call for pin verification and for some reason, when I typed it in, says it was incorrect. Anyone have any experience with ordering from this company before?
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
ZxExN wrote: Just bought one. I got the automaticated telephone call for pin verification and for some reason, when I typed it in, says it was incorrect. Anyone have any experience with ordering from this company before?

DirectCanada is a legit company
Feb 25, 2011
52 posts
19 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: ... I got the automaticated telephone call for pin verification...

ordered from them a few times and had a good experience.

for the verification... they told me to ignore it, if my shipping address was the same as my credit card address.
May 18, 2009
523 posts
482 upvotes
Richmond
Might as well price match NCIX if it's easier for a local pick up. Since DC is a sister company, they usually accept the PM easily.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1998 posts
1581 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Yeah my gf offered to buy it for me so the billing/shipping addresses are different. I guess I'll give them a ring Monday.
Good to know they're legit.
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
hastur wrote: This OCZ is on sale at NCIX (I don't know which is better myself).

OCZ Agility 3 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 $239 or $219 after mail in rebate.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61052&vpn ... omoid=1101

The Muskhin is "better."

But honestly, I don't see any real difference between my revodrive 3 and my last-gen Intel 320.

Go with the less expensive option.
Dec 29, 2009
231 posts
25 upvotes
Markham
wouldn't it be better to buy 2 120gb than 1 240gb?

if you raid 1 two 120gb it should be faster than 1 240gb with same available space
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2007
5330 posts
3052 upvotes
Scarborough
fd3styperz wrote: wouldn't it be better to buy 2 120gb than 1 240gb?

if you raid 1 two 120gb it should be faster than 1 240gb with same available space

No TRIM support in a RAID configuration. RAID 1 is for mirroring and would only give you the capacity of one drive to save data. If you meant RAID 0 then you increase the likelihood of losing your data since if one drive fails, you lose everything. Getting a 240GB drive like this Mushkin is around the same price and gives you great performance without the need for RAID.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3187 posts
2320 upvotes
Toronto
ASharp wrote: If you meant RAID 0 then you increase the likelihood of losing your data since if one drive fails, you lose everything.

Either way, if a drive fails you lose everything (1x240 vs 2x120). Having two drives doesn't double your odds of failure either.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2007
1024 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
generaltao99 wrote: Either way, if a drive fails you lose everything (1x240 vs 2x120). Having two drives doesn't double your odds of failure either.

Not exactly true..

When SSD drives fail, depending on the failure, it could become read-only only.. And don't know what happens to raid volume when one drive fails.. it may not have the same read-only state.. who knows.. I suppose that would depend on the raid controller / raid software.

And, with 2x120, that's twice the chances of failure, since you only need one drive to fail before it becomes unusable.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2007
1024 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
zevnux wrote: Might as well price match NCIX if it's easier for a local pick up. Since DC is a sister company, they usually accept the PM easily.

Hmm.. I was about to say, for us outside of BC, we should get it tax free ordering from DC.. but I noticed they're charging me the 13% HST.. Another fallout of the HST vs PST+GST? :(

Edit: Wow.. for kicks, I did an ASPM, and it came back successful already.. which is not really what I wanted since it's only good for 48 hours.. and the earliest I'd go would be wednesday.. lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2007
5330 posts
3052 upvotes
Scarborough
oldskool75 wrote: Another fallout of the HST vs PST+GST? :(
Indeed it is. Even without physical presence here in Ontario, they still have to charge HST which is the full 13%.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3187 posts
2320 upvotes
Toronto
Vertigo wrote: Incorrect; you are in fact almost twice as likely to lose all your data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_R ... ilure_rate

That's pretty dubious math/assumption, also not sourced. Let me ask you this:

-MTTF can roughly be understood as taking a a sample of hard drives and running them to failure, then deriving the MTTF value from the total hours of operation by the number of drives. So for example, 10 drives running at a combined 1M hours of operations til failure = 100K hrs MTTF. Or in other words, each drive should run on average 100K hrs before failing.
-a manufacturer creates only 10 hard drives and states their MTTF is "100K hrs", we'll call this MTTFbatch
-you buy them all and run them in (if it were possible) RAID-0, we'll call this MTTFgroup
-does the MTTFbatch now change simply because you're running the drives together? If it does then MTTF was never true to begin with.

MTTFbatch MUST = MTTFgroup
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2440 posts
735 upvotes
generaltao99 wrote: That's pretty dubious math/assumption, also not sourced. Let me ask you this:

-MTTF can roughly be understood as taking a a sample of hard drives and running them to failure, then deriving the MTTF value from the total hours of operation by the number of drives. So for example, 10 drives running at a combined 1M hours of operations til failure = 100K hrs MTTF. Or in other words, each drive should run on average 100K hrs before failing.
-a manufacturer creates only 10 hard drives and states their MTTF is "100K hrs", we'll call this MTTFbatch
-you buy them all and run them in (if it were possible) RAID-0, we'll call this MTTFgroup
-does the MTTFbatch now change simply because you're running the drives together? If it does then MTTF was never true to begin with.

MTTFbatch MUST = MTTFgroup
I think, perhaps, you're missing the fact that for disks in a Raid 0 array, the array fails (i.e. you lose all data across all disks) if even just one disk fails.

Instead of looking directly at MTTF, it would be more intuitive to consider the chance of failure for a disk over a given period of time.

Let's say that a disk has a 5% chance of failing within 3 years. Let's put 2 of these disks into a Raid 0 array.

The simplest way to calculate the chance that the array will fail is to calculate the probability that none of the disks fail within 3 years and subtract that from all possibilities. Again, this is true because if one, the other, or both disks fail, then the entire array is toast.

So the chance of the array failing within 3 years is 1 - (0.95 * 0.95) = 0.0975

That is, the chance of a 2 disk array failing within 3 years is 9.75%, almost twice that of a single disk.

What part of this is "dubious"? :razz:
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1142 upvotes
Mississauga East
Keep your data on thin metal punch cards
(think of the old paper punch cards with holes in them - but made of metal)
those have the lowest risk of data failure

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)