• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 9:59 am
Tags:
Apr 12, 2010
29 posts
6 upvotes
mb

AGM batteries freeze?

Hey all, do AGM batteries freeze? Long story short, my car is parked this winter and I left the battery in the car(bad move I know). The battery is less than 2 years old, from canadian tire. I know I have 5 year warranty, but I want to try to charge it first.

I have a battery charger from CT that has 100A engine start, 15A and 2A setting. Also can select conventional or AGM/deep cycle. I hooked it up and tried the 100A engine start which didn't work. The engine tried to turn but not enough juice.

I tried the 15A setting and the battery full indicator light turned on.

I tried to jump start with my 2nd car and it would not turn, or click. Just dead silence.

I took out the battery and its now in the basement, AGM doesnt give off gases? I notice both sides have a bulge. Now i am second guessing hooking up my CT charger to it.

IF AGM batteries do freeze would this bulge shrink if defrosted? ill take a picture and update the thread when I can.
Images
  • 20190216_170635.jpg
  • 20190216_170627.jpg
34 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think its that as all batteries are really outside even under the hood.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Not sure about the freezing part but my AGM battery is a Red Top not from CT. Works OK every time so far. I do have a NOCO charger (picture here) which I use the selection 2 to charge it. It is for conventional cold (less than 10C) and AGM batteries. I guess it will slowly trickle charge it until it is full. You can try to leave the battery in the house for a couple of days then recharge it again. Mine has a repair selection 5 to repair the battery. Wondering how many volts you got from your battery though.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Not sure if they freeze or not they've been worry free in my experience. My oldest AGM battery is an Optima red top on it's 11th year, still cold starts my Matrix even on the colder days with no issues.

Newest battery in the family fleet is a Motomaster eliminator AGM that's a couple of years old with no issues either.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A new fully charged regular lead-acid flooded battery can go down to -55C. According to Optima's site, their AGM batteries are protected from freezing down to at least -34C... and probably lower if the battery is fully charged and in fairly good shape. If you look on CT's site, there's a review that stated that they were able to start the car in -43C.

If the battery did freeze solid (ie you had temperatures of at least -40C or lower for a day or two straight), then you need to let it completely defrost and get to room temperature before attempting to charge it. But charging it may be the least of your worries as a frozen battery will typically have physical damage to the batteries plates which will render the battery useless as typically that damage will cause the plates to short.

AGM batteries do off-gas so I wouldn't charge it in a small enclosed space. As for charging it, I would only use the 2A setting initially and see how that goes for a few hours - ie does it get hot?... does it even charge? Once you are convinced that it's charging correctly, you can move up to the 10A setting. As for the budge, it might be freezing or it might be sulfation.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Just bring it to CT to get tested. They will replace of needed, which it sounds like it will.
I just had my 2.5 year old part source AGM replaced last week under warranty.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Does CT pro-rate batteries or do they do straight swaps on the defective ones? In the past, they used to pro-rate you a refund and you had to buy the battery again. I believe this was done after the first year?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Motomaster Ultra AGM has a 5 year free replacement warranty. No pro-rating.
Last edited by derass on Feb 17th, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Frankie3s wrote: Does CT pro-rate batteries or do they do straight swaps on the defective ones? In the past, they used to pro-rate you a refund and you had to buy the battery again. I believe this was done after the first year?
Used to be like 8 year pro rated. My AGM was 4 year free replacement, so I have 17 months left on warranty.
I was worried at first because their receipt had faded to where it was nearly invisible but my phone and battery serial were on file.
Make sure you take a photo of your important receipts.
Apr 12, 2010
29 posts
6 upvotes
mb
Thanks guys for the help. Winnipeg had some nasty weather few weeks ago that saw -40s for few days straight. But that is windchill so I dont think that matters when its in the garage.

I started the car once on new years and it started up fine. Ill take it to CT tomorrow since its out of the car anyways.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pekpek wrote: Thanks guys for the help. Winnipeg had some nasty weather few weeks ago that saw -40s for few days straight. But that is windchill so I dont think that matters when its in the garage.

I started the car once on new years and it started up fine. Ill take it to CT tomorrow since its out of the car anyways.
Don't tell them you think it's frozen, or was left out in the cold without starting for a while. Just tell them it's performing poorly.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
Your first mistake was walking into cdn tire and actually buying something from there.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
phuviano wrote: Your first mistake was walking into cdn tire and actually buying something from there.
Oh yeah? What's the deal with their AGM batteries?
Apr 12, 2010
29 posts
6 upvotes
mb
engineered wrote: Don't tell them you think it's frozen, or was left out in the cold without starting for a while. Just tell them it's performing poorly.
Went to CT yesterday, I told the parts guy that I went on vacation for 5 weeks, came back and car no power, and wouldn't crank. He hooked up his tester and had 0 cranking amps.

I got a new battery, with a new 5 year warranty. In and out in 5 mins.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pekpek wrote: Went to CT yesterday, I told the parts guy that I went on vacation for 5 weeks, came back and car no power, and wouldn't crank. He hooked up his tester and had 0 cranking amps.

I got a new battery, with a new 5 year warranty. In and out in 5 mins.
Free replacement?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, AGM batteries can freeze. Happened before a few weeks ago when we were in a deep freeze in Ottawa. Car was left undriven on the driveway for a while and the battery was found to be frozen after they tried to test it.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
You get what you pay for. Who the heck buys a battery from Canadian Tire anyways?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
angryaudifanatic wrote: You get what you pay for. Who the heck buys a battery from Canadian Tire anyways?
Aren't most batteries made at a only a few manufacturers? Don't think CT batteries are any cheaper than Walmart or Costco either, so it's not cheaping out cost wise. Do you buy your batteries at the dealer?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
engineered wrote: Aren't most batteries made at a only a few manufacturers? Don't think CT batteries are any cheaper than Walmart or Costco either, so it's not cheaping out cost wise. Do you buy your batteries at the dealer?
Yes.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jackrabbit000 wrote: My original Honda batteries were made by Johnson Controls. So is the Costco Kirkland and Walmart Ever-Start that I bought to replace them. They were way less than 1/2 the cost of a Honda battery. No brainer.
Yep, no brainer except for those who actually buy from the dealer.