• Feb 25th, 2019 12:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2267 posts
783 upvotes

AI generates fake faces on website

This person does not exist: AI generates fake faces on website. From the article:

If you visit the This Person Does Not Exist website, you’ll be greeted by a seemingly simple portrait. Reload the page, and another face will pop onto your screen. These people, however, do not exist in the real world.

Website here: www.thispersondoesnotexist.com - so far, all faces, when I clicked, were random, and most seemed quite real.

Outside video games, what is the utility of such software?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5347 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
Don't google deepfake.

This means, people now can produce "personal content" using anyone's FB/IG profiles and you will never find out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9788 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty crazy if this is actually what's happening but I have my doubts to be honest.

That said if you refresh to get a new image, and keep doing it you'll eventually start to see bugs in the AI. Look very closely at the hairlines, sometimes it just looks off or sometimes at the edge of a persons face you'll see a weird discoloured circular shape.

Pretty crazy either way.
Jan 10, 2009
764 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
You can get some pretty bad images. It looks like it's actually piecing together images rather than generating a new one wholesale. I've seen some where the arms of glasses disappear into the corner of someone's eyes, or they have a hand touching their face but it's an amorphous blob of jelly. You can easily see lots of artifacts and bugs around most of the images. Some of the fails are nightmare inducing actually.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17367 posts
1660 upvotes
Space for rent
This is really scary. I am not going to entertain what insidious implications this has but you would be naieve to think it won't be used in that manner.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2223 posts
306 upvotes
In another world
Are those images copyrighted?
If not, I guess it's OK to use them for websites, mock-ups, testing your skills in Photoshop or Lightroom, or whatever.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11259 posts
442 upvotes
Conan O'Brien had this technology in 2004.

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2223 posts
306 upvotes
In another world
mbg wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 9:00 am
Conan O'Brien had this technology in 2004.

LMAO
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5593 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
Was I the only one expecting a rant because not enough white people were being randomly generated by the algorithm on that website?
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:06 pm
This person does not exist: AI generates fake faces on website. From the article:

Website here: www.thispersondoesnotexist.com - so far, all faces, when I clicked, were random, and most seemed quite real.

Outside video games, what is the utility of such software?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11252 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
roblombardi wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 4:30 pm
Was I the only one expecting a rant because not enough white people were being randomly generated by the algorithm on that website?
Ya, OP's slipping lol.

Conan, years ahead of his time haha.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>