• Sep 25th, 2018 1:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2017
410 posts
141 upvotes
Cavegirl wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 8:47 am
There's the problem. aeropeso can only get seats with AC or Star Alliance, and will lose access to Star Alliance.

If wanting points to have no restriction to other airlines, there are already many programs for that. You either book with them on other airlines, or book yourself using that credit card and use the points. CIBC aventura. Amex Gold. Scotia Amex. TD First Class, etc. That free RBC Avion offer sounds good, just like the free first year from so many other cards. The aeropeso cards already have lots of competition.
Yes,Aima's points program will devaluate....but it can still be an attractive alternative to the banks own points programs.EG. you can earn aeroplan points at retailers without using your credit card(like with airmiles) and they could expand on this....and the HUGE benefit over the banks points programs is that you can pool your points from multiple bank's (CIBC,TD,Amex) and other point transfer programs.They are easier to accumulate and more quickly than the bank's points.

This is why I have invested in AIM shares.They "deserved" to dropafter the shock announcement and the points have been devalued.....but the sp was beaten up wayyyyyy too much......like HCG's was.
My opinion
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5188 posts
2019 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 8:17 pm

Actually, I have a ton of MR points that I am planning to transfer to AP to book a RTW for next year...
Cavegirl wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:02 am
I also got lots of Amex points. I'm hoping there will be other choices to use up the points. The only way I'd transfer to aeropeso is if I'll book a trip immediately.
Same here. Sitting on over 800K of MR points and have taken to only transferring what I need to Aeroplan when pulling the trigger on rewards.

Cleaned out my wife's Aeroplan account last time and we both only have relatively small points in each of our accounts thanks to some AirCanada/Star Alliance flights and some partners.
Oct 7, 2011
958 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
fadetogrey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 11:54 am
Yes,Aima's points program will devaluate....but it can still be an attractive alternative to the banks own points programs.EG. you can earn aeroplan points at retailers without using your credit card(like with airmiles) and they could expand on this....and the HUGE benefit over the banks points programs is that you can pool your points from multiple bank's (CIBC,TD,Amex) and other point transfer programs.They are easier to accumulate and more quickly than the bank's points.

This is why I have invested in AIM shares.They "deserved" to dropafter the shock announcement and the points have been devalued.....but the sp was beaten up wayyyyyy too much......like HCG's was.
My opinion
You got a good point in that it's easy to get those aeropeso points. There are multiple bank cards, and a number of merchants to earn the points from. Unfortunately, with many more collectors and many more points, it makes it difficult to find good seats.

Air Miles had good ads, and many people tried to collect them. They are "free". But not quite free, you are are still paying for them. Last year many people found it difficult to get good value for the points, when AM wanted to expire the points. Now it's aeropeso's turn, except June 2020 seems a long way off for most people. It is already difficult to find the flights you like now, imagine as the masses begin to want to redeem and find no good flights. That is why AIM stock price is low. Is it too low, too beat up, or is it because it looks like a no hope story? Too bad AIM hasn't given people much news for hope lately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5221 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 9:38 am
So you agree it's common. It's out of years of frustrations of not being able to find seats, or seeing them devalue the points, or seeing them adding fuel surcharge then change it to Carrier surcharge. I tried to book a trip to Europe, it'll cost 120,000 points plus $1400+ in tax/fees while buying tickets would be about $200 more.

And it's not the same as calling Mike Harris "Mike Harass". He's a person. I don't like him, but I would show enough respect him to not call him that. Not the same comparison.
my RTW business to 5 cities only costed 150K + $600? maybe you should pay the agent fee and call in to access non AC flights.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21685 posts
3849 upvotes
Waterloo
greg123 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 2:53 pm
my RTW business to 5 cities only costed 150K + $600? maybe you should pay the agent fee and call in to access non AC flights.
+1, nobody ever said any FFP/loyalty program is easy. Every one has its "sweet spots" and those who know how, take advantage

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions - FlyerTalk Forums
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... tions.html

I've fly Mini-RTW every single year and always 75K or 150K + less than $300/PERSON
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7405 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
greg123 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 2:53 pm
Good for you to get that. But you know it's usually not easy. It's often a long wait calling aeropeso, and if the seats are not there, they are not there, no matter how lucky or how you spin it.
Jun 15, 2017
410 posts
141 upvotes
Cavegirl wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 2:09 pm
You got a good point in that it's easy to get those aeropeso points. There are multiple bank cards, and a number of merchants to earn the points from. Unfortunately, with many more collectors and many more points, it makes it difficult to find good seats.

Air Miles had good ads, and many people tried to collect them. They are "free". But not quite free, you are are still paying for them. Last year many people found it difficult to get good value for the points, when AM wanted to expire the points. Now it's aeropeso's turn, except June 2020 seems a long way off for most people. It is already difficult to find the flights you like now, imagine as the masses begin to want to redeem and find no good flights. That is why AIM stock price is low. Is it too low, too beat up, or is it because it looks like a no hope story? Too bad AIM hasn't given people much news for hope lately.
that's the potentially beautiful thing. The "new" program will,hopefully,include redemption on ANY airline without seat restrictions/blackouts.Sure,maybe more points required but if you can use more easily....it becomes more attractive....ESPECIALLY to the high volume spenders.

I believe that any announcement of the new redemption deal will cause an eruption in the SP.............
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7405 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
fadetogrey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 3:10 pm
that's the potentially beautiful thing. The "new" program will,hopefully,include redemption on ANY airline without seat restrictions/blackouts.Sure,maybe more points required but if you can use more easily....it becomes more attractive....ESPECIALLY to the high volume spenders.

I believe that any announcement of the new redemption deal will cause an eruption in the SP.............
Last time AIM's head made an announcement to calm the nerves, the stock jumped up. It was quickly followed by steady downs. Then the announcement of 3 more directors gone and suspension of dividends not only for common stock, but also prefs. It's the prefs that is troubling, because it means something is really wrong that they are not telling up. They need to alleviate the concern, otherwise the very dark cloud is still hanging there.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40495 posts
2022 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 2:56 pm
Good for you to get that. But you know it's usually not easy. It's often a long wait calling aeropeso, and if the seats are not there, they are not there, no matter how lucky or how you spin it.
Who says it should be easy? For the benefit of AIM, it should be as hard as possible for your to redeem points.

It's alright if you don't want to play the game, but it's unfair to say the game is too hard to play but yet you play it anyways.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Nintendo Switch Grey
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7405 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 3:45 pm
Who says it should be easy? For the benefit of AIM, it should be as hard as possible for your to redeem points.

It's alright if you don't want to play the game, but it's unfair to say the game is too hard to play but yet you play it anyways.
What's wrong with saying it's hard to get the seats? Just because you were able to get good seats, and other people cannot, you then have problem with other people saying it's difficult?

Yes we collected those points. Now with AC ditching ae, it makes those points worth less going forward. We are trying to redeem the points. But it's been difficult finding seats on the dates we want. Many people can confirm the same frustration. Just because you and some others were able to find good seats, doesn't mean others can travel on those same dates and flights and cities and can enjoy the same. People's frustrations don't just come out of nowhere.

What's wrong with stating all those facts. If you have problem with that, oh well, you have problem with too many things.
Jun 15, 2017
410 posts
141 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 3:18 pm
Last time AIM's head made an announcement to calm the nerves, the stock jumped up. It was quickly followed by steady downs. Then the announcement of 3 more directors gone and suspension of dividends not only for common stock, but also prefs. It's the prefs that is troubling, because it means something is really wrong that they are not telling up. They need to alleviate the concern, otherwise the very dark cloud is still hanging there.
Of course there is something wrong with much uncertainty !
The same could still be said of Home Capital.
Like Home Capital....I expect that the company will continue to do business and be profitable,without the Air Canada deal.I expect a deal with ALL airlines,albeit at a greater cost. The previous sp (pre AC bombshell) may not be attained.....but $4,5,6 may be much more attainable.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40495 posts
2022 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 5:25 pm
What's wrong with saying it's hard to get the seats? Just because you were able to get good seats, and other people cannot, you then have problem with other people saying it's difficult?

Yes we collected those points. Now with AC ditching ae, it makes those points worth less going forward. We are trying to redeem the points. But it's been difficult finding seats on the dates we want. Many people can confirm the same frustration. Just because you and some others were able to find good seats, doesn't mean others can travel on those same dates and flights and cities and can enjoy the same. People's frustrations don't just come out of nowhere.

What's wrong with stating all those facts. If you have problem with that, oh well, you have problem with too many things.
The problem is you voluntarily chose to be part of the program, yet you complain about it knowing the quirks of the program but still decide to continue collecting points for it. If you have a problem with the program, it makes more sense for you to stop using it.

On the other hand, we've been trying to say that for a FREE program, it's pretty good, since the consumer doesn't pay anything extra to use it.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Nintendo Switch Grey
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Jun 15, 2017
410 posts
141 upvotes
Lads....lets keep this thread to "investing" re.Aima.There are other threads to discuss using the aeroplan points program..................
Jun 20, 2010
835 posts
385 upvotes
fadetogrey wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 6:21 pm
Lads....lets keep this thread to "investing" re.Aima.There are other threads to discuss using the aeroplan points program..................
I beg to differ. I find insights on points redemption very relevant to an investing discussion regarding aimia.