• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
3919 posts
192 upvotes
Odd that aimia aren't buying back shares since it's so cheap?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1382 posts
518 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 1:43 pm
Odd that aimia aren't buying back shares since it's so cheap?
They suspended their dividend with veiled references to the CBCA and possible capital adequacy issues. In this context, it's not too surprising to me that they are not returning capital to shareholders through share buybacks.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
Does anyone here that is a shareholder actually use Aeroplan to book travel?

I just looked for the first time and my god the offers are terrible. Can't find a single good flight out of YYZ that is good value for points.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4918 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:33 pm

I just looked for the first time and my god the offers are terrible. Can't find a single good flight out of YYZ that is good value for points.
Yup ... after several credit card offers, booked August trip to Asia (YYZ-HKG-NRT-YYZ); 75000 miles and the fee was fairly reasonable
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
charliebrown wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:00 pm
Yup ... after several credit card offers, booked August trip to Asia (YYZ-HKG-NRT-YYZ); 75000 miles and the fee was fairly reasonable
That seems not bad. I've been checking for Australia, Ireland, USA, etc....get no value for points on any of them. Guess I'll keep looking.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 9:33 pm

You're not looking hard enough - find anything that's not from AC and it'll be a good deal - at least 1.5c/mile
**BRAND NEW** Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - $130
**75% OFF Retail!**

Silver Coins | Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:02 pm
That seems not bad. I've been checking for Australia, Ireland, USA, etc....get no value for points on any of them. Guess I'll keep looking.
What do you consider good value?

Australia is 90K, and the flights are easily $1500+ during peak season. To me that's pretty good value.
**75% OFF Retail!**

Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:09 pm
You're not looking hard enough - find anything that's not from AC and it'll be a good deal - at least 1.5c/mile
Any dates I've searched the cash price vs. points would mean getting less than 1 cent per point in value. Maybe it's just because the flight prices were pretty good.

Can't have my cake and eat it too I suppose.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:30 pm
Any dates I've searched the cash price vs. points would mean getting less than 1 cent per point in value. Maybe it's just because the flight prices were pretty good.

Can't have my cake and eat it too I suppose.
Points are constant per destination while price varies from season to season. If you're flying during high season, for sure you will find something that is "better value".

Flights within North America are generally bad value relative to Europe and Asia.
**75% OFF Retail!**

Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:32 pm
Points are constant per destination while price varies from season to season. If you're flying during high season, for sure you will find something that is "better value".

Flights within North America are generally bad value relative to Europe and Asia.
Didn't realize it was a fixed # of points no matter what. Okay...so in the case I'm looking at it just so happens that it is better value to pay cash and save points for another time. Thanks
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 11:01 pm
Didn't realize it was a fixed # of points no matter what. Okay...so in the case I'm looking at it just so happens that it is better value to pay cash and save points for another time. Thanks
https://www5.aeroplan.com/use-your-mile ... anguage=en
**75% OFF Retail!**

Heatware | RFD Feedback
May 7, 2017
42 posts
17 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:10 pm
What do you consider good value?

Australia is 90K, and the flights are easily $1500+ during peak season. To me that's pretty good value.
Doesn't look like great value to me. Especially as unless you book way in advance you will have extra stopovers compared to booking with cash. The fees are probably $400 so you save $1100 about 1.2 cents per point. Most credit cards pay one point per dollar so you are getting 1.2% back. 2% cash back cards are fee free and of course cash beats all comers. I want at least 2-3 cents per point for an economy class ticket. Business class are where the real value lies and the competitive advantage that Aim will lose when they lose Air Canada.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
onthefence wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 8:02 pm
Doesn't look like great value to me. Especially as unless you book way in advance you will have extra stopovers compared to booking with cash. The fees are probably $400 so you save $1100 about 1.2 cents per point. Most credit cards pay one point per dollar so you are getting 1.2% back. 2% cash back cards are fee free and of course cash beats all comers. I want at least 2-3 cents per point for an economy class ticket. Business class are where the real value lies and the competitive advantage that Aim will lose when they lose Air Canada.
I'm afraid that's not realistic unless you're looking for a ticket to the 3 territories. 2-3 cents per point is what you'd get in business class redemptions, or mini/RTW economy redemptions. Anything higher than 1.5 cents is considered good value for a single economy ticket in my books.

Credit cards with Aeroplan points as rewards are not "good value" in my books. The only good way of earning AP points, other than getting them for free from flights, is via signup bonuses. Unless you are looking for mini/RTW or business class redemptions, nobody should use a AP credit card and expect better RoR than a 2% cash back credit card.
**75% OFF Retail!**

Heatware | RFD Feedback
May 7, 2017
42 posts
17 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 8:07 pm
I'm afraid that's not realistic unless you're looking for a ticket to the 3 territories. 2-3 cents per point is what you'd get in business class redemptions, or mini/RTW economy redemptions. Anything higher than 1.5 cents is considered good value for a single economy ticket in my books.

Credit cards with Aeroplan points as rewards are not "good value" in my books. The only good way of earning AP points, other than getting them for free from flights, is via signup bonuses. Unless you are looking for mini/RTW or business class redemptions, nobody should use a AP credit card and expect better RoR than a 2% cash back credit card.
I guess it depends on your home airport to some extent as for example fares from Toronto are cheaper than from secondary airports but point values are the same. Halifax to Boston shorthaul 15000 points and can save $350 so 2.33 cents. Ottawa to Chicago even better.

One ways are particularly lucrative to Europe. This might run $1000 or more and cost 40000 points. Fly United and basically no fees. On the other hand I saw a Montreal to Paris business class reward where the fees were actually more than Air Transat's one way fare on that route.

Business class fares you might save up to nearly10 cents a point. Of course most of us wouldn't pay these full fare business class fares for leisure travel but the cost might be $10000 to Europe and nearly the same for a one way ticket.