None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1474 posts
573 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
RolandCouch wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:02 pm
That seems not bad. I've been checking for Australia, Ireland, USA, etc....get no value for points on any of them. Guess I'll keep looking.
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:32 pm
Points are constant per destination while price varies from season to season. If you're flying during high season, for sure you will find something that is "better value".

Flights within North America are generally bad value relative to Europe and Asia.
Best value: YOW to YFB 15000 miles on Canadian North or First Air. This trip roundtrip goes for $2400, so Rolandcouch, come visit me for the best value Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 6:35 pm
Best value: YOW to YFB 15000 miles on Canadian North or First Air. This trip roundtrip goes for $2400, so Rolandcouch, come visit me for the best value Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
For that low miles...I actually would go up to Nunavut.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
3919 posts
192 upvotes
Is this stock going to zero?

Technology advances can create loyalty programs for virtually anyone

Aimia does sell or provide any real meaningful services as they have collected customer information and issued "points"

Aimia must have had notice from AC that they weren't renewing and had all this time to line up new partners

Aimia had alll the time in the world since their rcreation to align themselves with more partners

AC leaving is a red flag and hurt aimia as a brand

Only positive side is that Aimia is "cheap" but it's really heap for reasons above.

Should one sell or go long?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 7:42 pm

Aimia does sell or provide any real meaningful services as they have collected customer information and issued "points"

Aimia must have had notice from AC that they weren't renewing and had all this time to line up new partners

Aimia had alll the time in the world since their rcreation to align themselves with more partners

Only positive side is that Aimia is "cheap" but it's really heap for reasons above.

I disagree - AIM is basically a big data company. Their value is all the customer data that they have, and the contracts they have with a bunch of large companies.
**BRAND NEW** Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - $130
**75% OFF Retail!**

Silver Coins | Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1819 posts
253 upvotes
GTA
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 7:42 pm

This is a long term hold.

AC's decision to leave is because they want to create their own loyalty program under their own name. There's nothing wrong with that.... who knows they could fail miserably? I know several people personally that avoids Air Canada and only travels with Westjet. Maybe AC wants to be like westjet where westjet has a points program and their own credit card (with RBC ie. WJ world elite mastercard).

In my opinion, this stock was definitely oversold and AIM should be able to find a new partner
Jun 15, 2017
39 posts
10 upvotes
When Air Canada launches their program and the banks launch AC points credit cards,as a current aeroplan member and holder of an aeroplan points card......what would you do? I'll switch.

Even if they partner with WestJet(very unlikely,in my opinion),in comparison with the options to redeem for flights with Westjet vs. AC/Star alliance....I'm chosing AC points/AC credit cards.

Which points program do you think CIBC and TD will want to offer after their AE contract expires? BTW,anyone know,if CIBC and TD can terminate their relationship earlier,given the "material change"?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1497 posts
482 upvotes
fadetogrey wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 3:15 pm
When Air Canada launches their program and the banks launch AC points credit cards,as a current aeroplan member and holder of an aeroplan points card......what would you do? I'll switch.

Even if they partner with WestJet(very unlikely,in my opinion),in comparison with the options to redeem for flights with Westjet vs. AC/Star alliance....I'm chosing AC points/AC credit cards.

Which points program do you think CIBC and TD will want to offer after their AE contract expires? BTW,anyone know,if CIBC and TD can terminate their relationship earlier,given the "material change"?
I'll agree that you will switch. I'd argue that the majority of Canadians will not. Savvy shoppers are not the majority of the population. How many people have land lines and pay bell an absurd amount of money while also having cell phones, just in case... How many people have stupidly expensive cable/satellite packages while having Netflix or Prime Video and an internet connection, because it's easier...

The problem with booking on air Canada with aeroplan points are the rediculous fees that air Canada straps on. Book with a different airline and the fees shrink considerably. Aeroplans problem is a lack of a domestic partner, not an international one. I still think any loss to access of star alliance would be made up with access to SkyTeam. It only leaves the domestic business traveler without a seat so to speak.

At that point porter could be an option especially with it's upscale branding. Porter's problem is one of Western Canada.... They cover Ontario and Eastward easily. Now your down to a problem of winnipeg, calgary, edmonton, victoria and vancouver. Not ideal but better than nothing.

I love how everyone is forgetting that Aeroplan is bringing $700 million in buying power to the party.
Dec 8, 2013
22 posts
4 upvotes
Anyone looking at the preferred shares? They seem to be priced as if the dividend will be put back into place. I've been trying to estimate their value based on liquidation value, but am having trouble given the amount of intangibles/goodwill on the balance sheet.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6655 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
If the ER is bad, the stock will tank. There isn't any indicator to the positive lately.
Jun 28, 2017
33 posts
2 upvotes
How can the ER be good? They haven't had positive EPS since 2012, revenues have been on the decline since 2014, and they still haven't announced a post-AC plan. Is there even a chance something good will come of this Q report?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4918 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
jerryhung wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:50 pm
well, nasty dump just now
-7% to 52w low $1.42 again

ER coming up Aug 9th
Do mutual funds have a July 31st reporting date? Seems kinda odd for so many shares to be dumped today to create new 52wk lows
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
3919 posts
192 upvotes
Should we sell or go long? This pos isn't doing anything right now
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius