• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 31, 2015
185 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I wonder what's causing this... Hopefully a nice news release or something.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Up 27% since last Thursday, 2¢ off it's high for the last 2 month and premarket is showing more strength...
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1143 posts
331 upvotes
Mississauga
2019 bonds are now trading at 97 - 98$, up from $78 in May, pointing to no immediate liquidity concerns. I believe if they have another decent quarter, from a cash flow perspective, they will need to reinstate the preferred dividend, which continues to accumulate.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy preferred C series now, will dividend still accumulate?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2013 posts
629 upvotes
blahraptors wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 12:54 pm
If you buy preferred C series now, will dividend still accumulate?
Yes; preferred shares have a rate, which is fixed (or floating), but 'due' like a bond coupon. They can suspend payments but all payments MUST be made before they can pay normal dividends, etc. It's a liability on balance sheet; it's a debt owing.

Unless they go bankrupt/restructure or whatever.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1283 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
daverobev wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 1:12 pm
Yes; preferred shares have a rate, which is fixed (or floating), but 'due' like a bond coupon. They can suspend payments but all payments MUST be made before they can pay normal dividends, etc. It's a liability on balance sheet; it's a debt owing.

Unless they go bankrupt/restructure or whatever.
Do you have info on dividends, like ex div date and rate? As an aside, I would appreciate it if I could have some resources to read up on preferred shares. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4038 posts
875 upvotes
Thornhill
jerryhung wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:50 am
AIM +5% today to $2.42 HOD so far

I'm all out at $2.35
enough of roller coaster ride
This is clearly in accumulation since the good ER last quarter.

The hard part is done ie: taking a position before that last ER confirming markets overblown fears. I'm still letting this one ride.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
jerryhung wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:50 am
AIM +5% today to $2.42 HOD so far

I'm all out at $2.35
enough of roller coaster ride
Im loaded at this point, $81,000 between my TFSA and RRSP with a cost average $2.04, 40,000 shares.

I mean its up ¢30 in a week again and no news? My biggest problem at this point is holding on and not selling... Next positive news release will explode. Seems to be no sellers right now.
Dec 31, 2015
185 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hmm trying to decide if I should sell or not. I feel like there must be some big news coming up
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1143 posts
331 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought back into the AIM prefs, after selling in May. Their recent ER and reading the "tea leaves" of the 2019 bonds tells me there is good chance the dividends will be reinstated for the prefs (not the commons). For deep value plays such as this, its often good to do a step-wise approach, i.e. Bonds-->preferreds-->commons. Now that the bonds have recovered, the prefs are next. If the prefs do recover, I believe that could be the time to swap back into the commons. All conjecture on my part, however.