• Nov 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Another half a million shares traded in the first 30 minutes today, up another 4% (¢10). I'm not a pumper, would love to know exactly what is driving this.

**Edit ** Million shares in 45 minutes, broke $2.50 up 5%
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
herculesmaxpower wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:36 am
Pretty crazy volume. Something has to be coming.
I have to agree with you... I'm on my Waterhouse account and I click on the market overview. AIM isn't listed on the top volume chart or on the top % increase despite it beating WEED all morning on both? Market movers lists that the data is 15 minutes delayed but I've been checking​in all morning so far and no AIM...

If Waterhouse had prohibited from covering AIM for some reason, would they drop it off thier movers list on the market overview page?
Dec 31, 2015
186 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've been having issues with that as well and I'm using CIBC so I'm not sure. It's funny because I also own WEED and all morning it was showing it as being red for me even though I knew it was around $9.30
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
herculesmaxpower wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:08 am
I've been having issues with that as well and I'm using CIBC so I'm not sure. It's funny because I also own WEED and all morning it was showing it as being red for me even though I knew it was around $9.30
It is weird... The TMX site has everything correct but waterhouse is acting like it doesn't exist unless you go to research AIM specifically.

Went to Sedar for any news about a potential relationship between TD & AIM but nothing. There is a report filed a few days ago about an American investment company buying a 10% stake in AIM.

Weird....
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4972 posts
309 upvotes
Markham
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:20 am
It is weird... The TMX site has everything correct but waterhouse is acting like it doesn't exist unless you go to research AIM specifically.

Went to Sedar for any news about a potential relationship between TD & AIM but nothing. There is a report filed a few days ago about an American investment company buying a 10% stake in AIM.

Weird....
Mittleman Investment now owns 10.4% of Aimia; they added ~1 mil shares on Aug 22nd per Sedar filing
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Aug 17, 2008
601 posts
193 upvotes
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... yalty-plan

Air Canada Seeks Bank Partner for $1.6 Billion Loyalty Plan
By Frederic Tomesco and Doug Alexander
September 19, 2017, 9:31 AM EDT September 19, 2017, 2:08 PM EDT

Air Canada said it’s seeking a credit-card partner as it prepares its own frequent-flier program after years of relying on Aimia Inc.’s Aeroplan.

The Montreal-based airline “will be inviting key financial institutions to participate’’ in a request for proposals, Chief Executive Officer Calin Rovinescu said in a statement Tuesday. The co-branded credit card will “yield significant value for us,’’ he later told investors at a presentation in Toronto.

Canada’s biggest airline is looking to capture more benefits from a program expected to have a net present value of at least C$2 billion ($1.6 billion) over 15 years. Aeroplan was once part of Canada’s most popular credit card, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce’s Aerogold Visa. The two-decade partnership ended in 2013 when Toronto-Dominion Bank took over as the primary financial partner, though CIBC can still offer Aeroplan cards under a 10-year deal.

Air Canada’s contract with Aimia runs until June 2020. The carrier has used the Aeroplan loyalty program, which offers consumers rewards including points toward Air Canada flights, for more than 30 years. Aeroplan is owned and operated by Aimia.

“International travel is the most popular reward a credit card loyalty program can offer,’’ Rovinescu said at the investor presentation. “This makes us therefore a highly desirable partner as Canada’s largest carrier with the most expansive global network and three powerful hubs.’’

Interesting Offer

Canada’s biggest banks are likely to be “extremely interested,” said Steve Allmen, president and co-founder of Loyalty & Co., a Toronto-based consultancy to the industry.

“I believe all five banks are going to look at it, but whether all five banks respond is another story,’’ Allmen said in a telephone interview, citing the possibility that existing contracts might disqualify one or more banks. For example, Royal Bank of Canada, the country’s second-largest lender, already has a Mastercard relationship with Air Canada rival WestJet Airlines Ltd.

Allmen also anticipates a focus on a lender with a stronger Quebec presence such as Desjardins Group or Montreal-based National Bank of Canada. Some U.S. banks may be interested in a co-branding agreement, he said. And Air Canada may not have to choose just one.

“If Air Canada can do it right, they can actually launch with multiple partners,” Allmen said. “They don’t have to be with one partner.”

Earnings Outlook

Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia and National Bank declined to comment Tuesday on whether they would be interested in responding to Air Canada’s request for proposals. Representatives for three other large Canadian lenders didn’t immediately return messages seeking comment.

Among other goals unveiled ahead of the investor meeting, Air Canada said it’s targeting earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization, impairment and aircraft rent to represent 17 percent to 20 percent of operating revenue from 2018 until 2020.

Air Canada is also looking to achieve annual return on invested capital of 13 percent to 16 percent during the same period, cumulative free cash flow of C$2 billion to C$3 billion, and adjusted net debt of 1.2 times EBITDAR by the end of 2020. That last ratio would be “investment-grade” worthy, Chief Financial Officer Mike Rousseau said Tuesday at the investor presentation.

Air Canada’s Ebitdar to revenue margin trails that of its U.S. rivals by about 300 basis points, and most of the gap “is primarily due to the absence of a loyalty program,’’ Rousseau said.
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
The details of ACs loyalty plan were very underwhelming. Not to mention the big 5 banks already all have existing travel cards/relationships. If anything I think this is good news for AIM who look to be developing more flexible and robust rewards options, while AC is trying to re-invent an old wheel.

Check out their new video update:
https://www.aeroplan.com/program-update ... AN30000625

They have also sent out an accompanying survey with this to get member feedback.
Speculation is on a deal in the making with some sort of provider such as expedia.

AIM.TO currently up 6.75% today.
Last edited by mikerfd on Sep 20th, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Another 7% up, million shares so far today and seems to be comfortably over $2.50 with no real news.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1691 posts
35 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
@kr0zet what are your thoughts on a price target of say 3 months from now?
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Blazin_Sunfire wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 3:52 pm
@kr0zet what are your thoughts on a price target of say 3 months from now?
I honestly don't know, I am not an investment professional by any stretch. What I saw in aim was a huge over reaction in the market and tried to take advantage of it. I got bit by buying in with $25k just before the dividend got cut in my TFSA, and got locked in. Once the stock got below $2 I saw a pattern develop (posted about it) and was able to flip $20k in my rrsp on 4 separate occasions, 3 times for between 7¢ and 10¢ a flip and the last one went up 60¢ and I sold. In 6 weeks I had turned my $20k in my RRSP into $50k and my $25k in my TFSA into $25k, lol. I was content to sit on the $25k in my TFSA until the stock eventually recovered but then something happened. The stock dropped.

The earnings report was a non issue, the assets were the same as before but the stock dropped quick. I decided that I would buy in if it got back to $2 and it did. I bought 26k shares between $1.95 and $2, added with my 14k shares in my TFSA brought my holdings to 40k shares at $81k invested.

I have no idea where the stock is going but I know it's only going up. At this point who are the sellers? ETF's and mutual funds have rebalanced out of the stock. Any bigboys that wanted out are out by now. What bad news is left?

On the good news side AIM is strongly hinting at a new platform for points, a potential new partner (Expedia is a rumour), commitment to core assets (selling AirMiles Canada)... Over the next 3 months there will be a partnership announcement as well as another positive quarter.

My plan is to let the 26k shares in my RRSP ride, it's already up $16k in a month. My TFSA on the other hand.... I don't need that money right now but if I do, I'll sell in 500 share blocks. Beyond that, I have no plan or insight as to where it's going.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1691 posts
35 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:54 pm
I honestly don't know, I am not an investment professional by any stretch. What I saw in aim was a huge over reaction in the market and tried to take advantage of it. I got bit by buying in with $25k just before the dividend got cut in my TFSA, and got locked in. Once the stock got below $2 I saw a pattern develop (posted about it) and was able to flip $20k in my rrsp on 4 separate occasions, 3 times for between 7¢ and 10¢ a flip and the last one went up 60¢ and I sold. In 6 weeks I had turned my $20k in my RRSP into $50k and my $25k in my TFSA into $25k, lol. I was content to sit on the $25k in my TFSA until the stock eventually recovered but then something happened. The stock dropped.

The earnings report was a non issue, the assets were the same as before but the stock dropped quick. I decided that I would buy in if it got back to $2 and it did. I bought 26k shares between $1.95 and $2, added with my 14k shares in my TFSA brought my holdings to 40k shares at $81k invested.

I have no idea where the stock is going but I know it's only going up. At this point who are the sellers? ETF's and mutual funds have rebalanced out of the stock. Any bigboys that wanted out are out by now. What bad news is left?

On the good news side AIM is strongly hinting at a new platform for points, a potential new partner (Expedia is a rumour), commitment to core assets (selling AirMiles Canada)... Over the next 3 months there will be a partnership announcement as well as another positive quarter.

My plan is to let the 26k shares in my RRSP ride, it's already up $16k in a month. My TFSA on the other hand.... I don't need that money right now but if I do, I'll sell in 500 share blocks. Beyond that, I have no plan or insight as to where it's going.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

You did well! I bought just before the div announcement, and am now just breaking even, as I did not average down. We shall see where she goes!
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Closing in on half a.million shares and up ¢11 so far!!! Literally no sellers. Everytime someone buys it's gaping up. This is nuts!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
Half a million shares and ¢16 up!?! Thats on top of yesterday's ¢22.

WITH NO NEWS!!!!

And what's driving me bonkers is that my Waterhouse account isn't showing AIM on the Most Active or % gainers market summary screens... Aim is up 5% but the top company on the overview screen is Shawcor at 2.6% and Eldorado Gold 2.55%. What gives?
Last edited by kr0zet on Sep 21st, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.