• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
There must be a lot of people holding this at the $3+ range too after the initial drop and small uptick.
Dec 31, 2015
186 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone still holding this? It's kind of been in the 2.4-2.6 range for the past few weeks now. Not sure how much longer I'll keep it.
Apr 9, 2012
435 posts
119 upvotes
Markham
herculesmaxpower wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:52 am
Anyone still holding this? It's kind of been in the 2.4-2.6 range for the past few weeks now. Not sure how much longer I'll keep it.
Buy 200 shares. it could pop and make some good money. but I wouldn't buy anything more than that.
Jan 7, 2013
280 posts
15 upvotes
Kitsilano
Im holding about 10k shares at 2.27 - just patiently waiting for some good news.
“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.”
Jul 27, 2017
489 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
This stock hit as low of $1.40 after the AC news & the shorts played it down & the stopped dividends.

The high of the past three months is in the $2.60 range

In the past 6 weeks its been riding the $2.00 to $2.50 range even with the last financial results & even after selling of the trademark air miles.

Basically it's a sit & hold to wait for any news of a new partner, AC renegotiating a deal back in...I believe that is all there is.

Will it inch up or pop to over $3 as it is now, not likely, not without new business or huge earnings.

Speculative buy
Apr 9, 2012
435 posts
119 upvotes
Markham
porticoman wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:37 am
This stock hit as low of $1.40 after the AC news & the shorts played it down & the stopped dividends.

The high of the past three months is in the $2.60 range

In the past 6 weeks iIs been riding the $2.00 to $2.50 range even with the last financial results & even after selling of the trademark air miles.

Basically it's a sit & hold to wait for any news of a new partner, AC renegotiating a deal back in...I believe that is all there is.

Will it inch up or pop to over $3 as it is now, not likely, not without new business or huge earnings.

Speculative buy
Yes this is a spec buy but the downside risk it also limited. After the bombshell hit, all of that downside is priced in and arguably over reacted. I see this as a skew towards the upside more than the down. You will never know anything certain in life but I see this at 60/40 with 60 chance of go up than down.
Jul 27, 2017
489 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
atang810 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:39 am
Yes this is a spec buy but the downside risk it also limited. After the bombshell hit, all of that downside is priced in and arguably over reacted. I see this as a skew towards the upside more than the down. You will never know anything certain in life but I see this at 60/40 with 60 chance of go up than down.
60% chance of it going up based on what?

60/40 IMO is a no for the following reasons

On the downside, all it would take for another huge drop is AIM announcing that it will be losing another airline/partner or the financials have a hit. When that happens the short vultures move in again.

On the upside, it's basically news of a new partner or a renegotiated AC deal, a buyout, huge infusion or change in cash position, and/or reinstated dividends
Oct 1, 2011
75 posts
10 upvotes
Georgetown
I don't see why the Q3 numbers would be bad... as far as we know it's business as usual, no big run on points. Sale of Air Miles will help the balance sheet, no dividend to pay currently, there have been substantial cuts to non-essential personnel with more cost savings to come. All that amounts to a stronger balance sheet. Chart comparing pref & common shares is interesting to look at. There have also been a lot of large blocks being bought up holding support around $2.50 and institutional buying now. I am holding my shares and will wait on news as I expect an announcement to come by the end of the year regarding the "new" aeroplan program.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1529 posts
507 upvotes
The NORTH
What down side are people seeing? What speculation is there. The bad news is baked in...

Look at the chart over the last few weeks, everyday there are small lots sold a penny or two down. The stock trundles along until a large block is bought, then it jumps up. Why? There is nothing for sale. Once it pops, the small blocks start up again chipping away for a penny down. It keeps happening. I have no idea who the sellers are of these 100 - 1000 block sales are but it almost seems like the goal is to hit a stop loss level. Chip it down to $2.45 and you can pickup a tonne on the cheap? I don't know.

What I do know is what I have seen. Any good news and the stock is going to pop, there are no sellers at this level. It seems to have fantastic support here.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4039 posts
876 upvotes
Thornhill
magmadragon wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:28 am
It's gonna be a rough day today.
Based on the results - looks par the course to me. There was nothing groundbreaking and rather confirms stabilization without a run on redemption. They still need to work on finding a new A/C replacement partnership though which they have quite some time still. They also hinted at another divestiture to strengthen liquidity position.

It's gonna be an average day today.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2018 posts
630 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:40 am
Based on the results - looks par the course to me. There was nothing groundbreaking and rather confirms stabilization without a run on redemption. They still need to work on finding a new A/C replacement partnership though which they have quite some time still. They also hinted at another divestiture to strengthen liquidity position.

It's gonna be an average day today.
Hmm, down 4 1/2% at the moment.

They have loads of cash. I don't get why they don't pay out the dividends they owe. I don't get this impairment thing. It is not 'their money' - it should be paid out to shareholders. Suspending ongoing dividends sure, that's fine, totally allowable.

Where do accumulated pref share divis fall in the case of bankruptcy? They are doing this presumably to keep the bondholders happy (ie, unpaid out accumulated divis would go to bondholders in bankruptcy rather than pref share holders?).
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1908 posts
666 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
daverobev wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:42 am
Hmm, down 4 1/2% at the moment.

They have loads of cash. I don't get why they don't pay out the dividends they owe. I don't get this impairment thing. It is not 'their money' - it should be paid out to shareholders. Suspending ongoing dividends sure, that's fine, totally allowable.

Where do accumulated pref share divis fall in the case of bankruptcy? They are doing this presumably to keep the bondholders happy (ie, unpaid out accumulated divis would go to bondholders in bankruptcy rather than pref share holders?).
The pref shareholders (like the common stock holders) fall in no mans land in the event of a bankruptcy - they are just above the common share holders (but below bond holders) on the claim to assets.
Last edited by treva84 on Nov 9th, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.