Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
Conquistador wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 8:57 am
Really? :eek:
Hyperbole.

Seems to be working, stock it up over 6% closing in on half a million shares. Who would have thought when AC announced their offer that after rejecting it AIM would be cents away from breaking through $4?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 9:39 am
Hyperbole.

Seems to be working, stock it up over 6% closing in on half a million shares. Who would have thought when AC announced their offer that after rejecting it AIM would be cents away from breaking through $4?
No kidding. I sold at $3.60 so no longer have any skin in the game but as a near thirty year Aeroplan member I can't begin to get excited at partnerships with Porter, Transat, or Flair. There better be something much much bigger coming...

For full disclosure, I haven't been carrying any appreciable points balances in either mine or my wife's Aeroplan accounts opting instead to transfer needed points in from Amex MR when booking reward flights. As such, if Aeroplan nosedives into the ground our exposure, on all fronts now, is virtually zero.

Good on ya, too, for loading up and capitalizing big time.
Jun 28, 2017
84 posts
28 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:29 am
No kidding. I sold at $3.60 so no longer have any skin in the game but as a near thirty year Aeroplan member I can't begin to get excited at partnerships with Porter, Transat, or Flair. There better be something much much bigger coming...

For full disclosure, I haven't been carrying any appreciable points balances in either mine or my wife's Aeroplan accounts opting instead to transfer needed points in from Amex MR when booking reward flights. As such, if Aeroplan nosedives into the ground our exposure, on all fronts now, is virtually zero.

Good on ya, too, for loading up and capitalizing big time.
You can't get excited about a carrier that flies to the major cities in Canada , throughout the Carribean and Central America (32 destinations), throughout Europe (26 destinations), and to one destination in the Middle East? Air Transat is a pretty large carrier. They're quite popular too. Most of the families I know fly Air Transat. So it's not AC, sure, but Aeroplan has now made deals with three of AC's direct competitors. That has to sting. Obviously OneWorld will be the kicker, but so far Aeroplan has done well in my mind. I can't understand why AC didn't pay $450M.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
665 upvotes
Ismellofhockey wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 5:17 pm
You can't get excited about a carrier that flies to the major cities in Canada , throughout the Carribean and Central America (32 destinations), throughout Europe (26 destinations), and to one destination in the Middle East? Air Transat is a pretty large carrier. They're quite popular too. Most of the families I know fly Air Transat. So it's not AC, sure, but Aeroplan has now made deals with three of AC's direct competitors. That has to sting. Obviously OneWorld will be the kicker, but so far Aeroplan has done well in my mind. I can't understand why AC didn't pay $450M.
Not sure if serious or joking

Weekly flights to a few destinations on a charter airline gets you excited? They have what...30planes total? It's like adding sunwing lol

One world? Useless for Canada based members . Just ask anyone with avios trying to redeem one world airlines lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
Ismellofhockey wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 5:17 pm
Yup, that's what I said.

Over the last several years I've been redeeming for long-haul Business and First Class flights to Europe and Asia. Which of these three new partners can I do that with? :eek: (And don't say Transat Club Class or whatever it's called.)

Who do these three new partners interline with so that when something goes wrong they can continue you on your journey?

I'm glad that at least somebody is happy with the latest announcements. I suspect that most long-time Aeroplan members probably are not.
Jun 28, 2017
84 posts
28 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:34 pm
Yup, that's what I said.

Over the last several years I've been redeeming for long-haul Business and First Class flights to Europe and Asia. Which of these three new partners can I do that with? :eek: (And don't say Transat Club Class or whatever it's called.)

Who do these three new partners interline with so that when something goes wrong they can continue you on your journey?

I'm glad that at least somebody is happy with the latest announcements. I suspect that most long-time Aeroplan members probably are not.
Aimia has said customers will be able to redeem their points on all flights of all carriers post 2020, so redeeming shouldn't be an issue for you. Right now Aeroplan's main issue is accumulation. They lost Esso but added Amazon, lost AC but have chipped away at that too. It's not ideal, I understand that. But I don't see what else you could expect them to do. These three new airline partners carry about 30% of the passengers AC carries every year. Considering Aeroplan provided 8% of AC's numbers, that could potentially be a big boost to Porter, Transat and Flair. They still have a few years to figure out the rest, but I can't see this as anything but positive for Aeroplan.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
Half a million shares traded, broke $4, up 26 cents. Seems to be driven on weak news? Insider buying yesterday?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
Ismellofhockey wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:43 am
Aimia has said customers will be able to redeem their points on all flights of all carriers post 2020, so redeeming shouldn't be an issue for you. Right now Aeroplan's main issue is accumulation. They lost Esso but added Amazon, lost AC but have chipped away at that too. It's not ideal, I understand that. But I don't see what else you could expect them to do. These three new airline partners carry about 30% of the passengers AC carries every year. Considering Aeroplan provided 8% of AC's numbers, that could potentially be a big boost to Porter, Transat and Flair. They still have a few years to figure out the rest, but I can't see this as anything but positive for Aeroplan.
I think this is a fear mongering ploy by ac in the attempt to get Aeroplan on the cheap. Aimia has said that redemption rates will remain the same, any flight, any seat. What they are doing with the preferred partners is shift butts out of expensive to buy ac flights and into cheaper to buy porter/flair/transat/cathy/charter... They have the data to know which routes are the most redeemed and are playing the odds. If the preferred partnerships now cover 70% of the redemption/points flights then that lowers the cost of offering points/redemption on the remaining flights.

I suppose the real question is do investors believe this is a viable business that will still generate revenue at that point.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
Conquistador wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:34 pm
Yup, that's what I said.

I totally get that's what you use the program for, I believe that you would be one of the first to jump on a new AC program. I also believe that you are part of the minority there and that the vast majority of Canadians will not. This is not a shot, just an observation and one of the reasons that I have invested in Aimia.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
Just sold at $3.97, for a nice gain. This time took a bigger gamble and worked out.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2560 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought back in.

AC group's last offer of $325M is not far from AIM's ask of $450M for ae. ae also showed a path forward even if AC doesn't come back. The ball is in AC's court now, and they are probably nervously working out how they'll come back to buy between $400-450M.

AC was too arrogant. Now they need to save face, and re-assure current high value flyers they won't be starting with 0 points in AC Altitude come 2020. Buying up ae is the best option for them now.