• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 2:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
Not AIM stock related but are aeroplan miles going to be safe in 2019 through to mid-2020?

Won't CIBC and TD be royally screwed up the miles were devalued sooner because the value of their Aeroplan card franchise would also go down?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:42 pm
Not AIM stock related but are aeroplan miles going to be safe in 2019 through to mid-2020?

Won't CIBC and TD be royally screwed up the miles were devalued sooner because the value of their Aeroplan card franchise would also go down?
AC together with TD/CIBC and even Amex were under a lot of pressure from customers because they fear the ae points were going to be de-valued and/or unusable come June/2020 with AC's ditching of ae. They are now buying ae from AIM, in an effort to assure customers they can continue to collect ae points, and the new AC loyalty points when they start.

None of them promise the existing ae points won't de-value. They just firmed up the buy, and the transaction of moving ae from AIM to AC will happen in Jan/2019. Until then, it is unlikely they will make major changes to ae.

The ae points will still be there in 2019, through to mid-2020. But history shows there will continue to be "enhancements" meaning de-valuations of ae.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3307 posts
2695 upvotes
The NORTH
jules6565 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:37 am
Got over 4k of AIM shares now Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I managed to squeeze another 1k @ $3.35 today. 67,000 shares but I have nothing left to buy with... I won't sell any core or long term investments so I just gotta tap out.

Now just waiting.

Just did my cost averaging and after buying/selling runs/dips I have $56475 of actual money sitting on 67,000 shares. That's about 84 cents per share.
Jan 6, 2015
101 posts
32 upvotes
Québec
Hi @kr0zet , now that the aeroplan deal has gone trough, what is your short/long term plan for this stock $AIM.

Sorry for the bump guys ⬆
Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1050 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
AIM said they are not looking to wind up the company. They have to say that.

Wonder what the wind up value is though.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3307 posts
2695 upvotes
The NORTH
TD Just resumed coverage of Aimia with a Spec Buy rating and a target of $5
We view Aimia's risk/reward profile as compelling at the current share price level.
That stated, our risk rating remains SPECULATIVE as no clear outlook for the
future direction of the business model has been provided. Our investment thesis
is predicated on the view that with the limited historical success of expanding
Aimia's global loyalty model, we believe that investors may be more interested in
monetizing the remainder of its asset base as opposed to growing it further.

We believe that there is demand for Aimia's remaining assets, and value that
provides upside potential to the share price, primarily through its equity investment
in Club Premier. Although Aimia is in a similar position with Club Premier as it
was with Aeroplan, we believe that the contractual agreement/duration is much
more favourable that we believe provides Aimia a degree of leverage. Clearly,
AeroMexico has interest in the platform, as illustrated by its opportunistic offer for
Aimia's 48.9% stake in July 2018.

Although we believe that Aimia is unlikely to obtain full and fair value from
AeroMexico, we believe that a negotiated settlement may be the path of least
resistance for both parties, and could result in capital distributions to Aimia
shareholders or lead to a future wind-up of the company. Aimia is currently in
a financial position of strength, as we estimate that pro forma the Aeroplan
transaction, it should have net cash of over $400mm or ~$2.75/share. We highlight
that management is in the process of paying down its revolver and redeeming its
outstanding senior secured notes, while its preferred shares remain outstanding.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3307 posts
2695 upvotes
The NORTH
jules6565 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:22 am
Hi @kr0zet , now that the aeroplan deal has gone trough, what is your short/long term plan for this stock $AIM.

Sorry for the bump guys ⬆
Thanks
They have a billion dollars cash and $300 million debt. That puts their cash position somewhere around $4.50 a share for cash alone, without other assets (PLM, Think Big, Cardalytics...) As a stay at home dad, if they hit $5 I may never have to work again (plan was to go back too work when the youngest went to school) just off Aimia. I will sell half at $5 and see where it goes from there.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
What are other AIM holders' bigger holdings besides possibly weed stocks?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3307 posts
2695 upvotes
The NORTH
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:39 am
What are other AIM holders' bigger holdings besides possibly weed stocks?
I don't have bigger holdings... The $57,000 Book Value of my AIM represents 55% of my investing capital. The $260,000 Market Value represents 70% of my portfolio currently.

My other big bets are Fire ($2.35 ACB), NMX ($0.68 ACB), FTN ($3.85 ACB) & AMS ($0.07 ACB) I have $20k among these names.

I have $30k book value in my core assets, some I have held for almost a decade. TRP (330 Shares @ $30/share, held since 2009) & BMO (350 Shares @ $29/share, Held since 2009). Got an RRSP loan in 2009 for $20k and split it between these two for the dividend yield and this got me addicted to the markets and getting paid to wait as it were. Added AQN (750 Shares @ $7, held since 2014) & Added RSI (1200 Shares @ $4.20, held since 2015) for the dividends. I've been in and out of more than a dozen names over the years, all for dividend yield and up until AIM have always been a dividend investor. Once I started to have Fun in Aimia and had time at home (currently a stay at home dad) to research companies I have started to explore more risky investing with my Big Bets.

Don't know if any of that helps, just been my investment journey.
Nov 10, 2007
278 posts
58 upvotes
Looks like they will be paying out the suspended dividend. That's money I never expected to see.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1327 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone picking up the pref shares today?

I got a handful of the 3s today.
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2409 posts
854 upvotes
magmadragon wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 7:26 pm
Looks like they will be paying out the suspended dividend. That's money I never expected to see.
What happens if you sold in the mean time? I was on record with both prefs and commons when the div was cut, but no longer hold the prefs, and only have a few hundred commons which I don't think were the same ones I was holding at the time.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2008
1327 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
daverobev wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 2:38 pm
What happens if you sold in the mean time? I was on record with both prefs and commons when the div was cut, but no longer hold the prefs, and only have a few hundred commons which I don't think were the same ones I was holding at the time.
Dividend was declared back then, so you'll be paid as long as you held it then.

Same with the prefs, you'll get it for all the quarters you held it for up until when you sold it.

What you hold now have no significance to what you are owed.
My Rogers Plan: 250 DT, Unlim. inc., Unlim. E/W @ 8pm, 100 CDN LD, 100 txt sent/unlim. rec., CID/VM/Call forward & transfer = $15.90/month after all tax and fees.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2409 posts
854 upvotes
ykshum wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 3:26 pm
Dividend was declared back then, so you'll be paid as long as you held it then.

Same with the prefs, you'll get it for all the quarters you held it for up until when you sold it.

What you hold now have no significance to what you are owed.
Cool, thanks.

Not sure how it'll work as I've closed (transferred) the brokerage account as well.

Edit: So the ex-dividend date would've been the 13th of June 2017?

I had, hmm, 1300 commons x 0.2 = $260, and 250 class C/series 3 x 0.39 = $97.50. Well, fingers crossed!