• Sep 21st, 2017 11:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6701 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
Aim has to honour the already announced dividend, no matter how painful the drain is on their cash. Aim is a damaged brand. Many people are fleeing. If Aim cuts the announced dividend, it will drive the already low confidence level to the ground. Aim is in a crisis mode. They have to get through the next few weeks and months, and not be seen as a company about to go under. No AC will not come back to talk to Aim. Aim had its chance. The timing of AC announcing the breakup, shows something went really wrong in their negotiation, for AC to publicly humiliate Aim. They are not going back to the negotiating table.

Go to flyertalk. There are lots of people talking about how they already cancelled the aeropeso affiliated credit cards or will not renew. Most people are no longer using those CC's if they have alternatives. Lots of people are looking to redeem the aeropeso points asap, because there is very valid fear of ae devaluation or Aim bankrupcy.

Even our family members or friends who were not necessarily paying attention to aeropeso before, all have now heard of the possible demise. Yes some people are still collecting, but they also know it's better to redeem the points for flights they can find, rather than waiting longer.

There is the definitive deadline of June, 2020, when you can no longer book other Star Alliance flights. If Aim is still around close to that time, there'll be a rush to redeem and many people will be angry they cannot find seats, or are angry of the high scamcharges even when there are seats. There'll be huge public outcry. It will not be pretty for Aim, if they are still around.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19978 posts
2984 upvotes
Waterloo
Arrgh wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:06 pm
Aim has to honour the already announced dividend, no matter how painful the drain is on their cash. Aim is a damaged brand. Many people are fleeing. If Aim cuts the announced dividend, it will drive the already low confidence level to the ground. Aim is in a crisis mode. They have to get through the next few weeks and months, and not be seen as a company about to go under. No AC will not come back to talk to Aim. Aim had its chance. The timing of AC announcing the breakup, shows something went really wrong in their negotiation, for AC to publicly humiliate Aim. They are not going back to the negotiating table.

Go to flyertalk. There are lots of people talking about how they already cancelled the aeropeso affiliated credit cards or will not renew. Most people are no longer using those CC's if they have alternatives. Lots of people are looking to redeem the aeropeso points asap, because there is very valid fear of ae devaluation or Aim bankrupcy.

Even our family members or friends who were not necessarily paying attention to aeropeso before, all have now heard of the possible demise. Yes some people are still collecting, but they also know it's better to redeem the points for flights they can find, rather than waiting longer.

There is the definitive deadline of June, 2020, when you can no longer book other Star Alliance flights. If Aim is still around close to that time, there'll be a rush to redeem and many people will be angry they cannot find seats, or are angry of the high scamcharges even when there are seats. There'll be huge public outcry. It will not be pretty for Aim, if they are still around.
Just stating the not so obvious

Flyertalk is a small sample and very "niche" crowd
Not THAT many people have cancelled from what I've read, same thread as you

I'll continue to collect & redeem Aeroplan, but yes book sooner than later is safer

Air Miles, after all that mess, is still around and will continue to be used. Big difference is they aren't publicy traded to reflect the sentiment

Anyway, Canada has its drama lately, from HCG to now AIM... who dare do business in Canada, getting killed by OSC or your ex-"parent" :D
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1802 posts
582 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Anyone unlucky enough to buy into HCG and AIM? I feel for you. Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19978 posts
2984 upvotes
Waterloo
treva84 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:01 pm
Anyone unlucky enough to buy into HCG and AIM? I feel for you. Face Screaming In Fear
I almost made the list.

Couldn't dodge HCG despite the chance (when it FIRST bounced back to $20) :(
Bought 500 AIM at $8.6, sold at $9.1 just 1-2 weeks before ER, by luck. WHEW.... now it's $2.65 (difference of $3,225)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
3490 posts
270 upvotes
Markham
Three years is a long time, a lot of points can be accumulated in that time. And even if people trade them in 2019 to get available airline seats, that's two years of collecting. That's a lot of points. I don't think AIM will just crawl up and die, they have to be proactive at some point.
Arrgh wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6701 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
I bought into HCG close to the bottom. Now waiting for a good time to take a chunk of profit.

Aim, no not going to touch it yet. Air Miles is a damaged brand. People are still collecting because you might as well get them at the places you shop anyway. But the bad news in mostly behind them, and the points are not going to expire. You know the point value is at least what you can redeem for cash at Metro and others.

People can still collect aeropeso, but the damage is still being assessed. Aim is sitting on billion of points of liability to the company. Other than credit cards, they don't have many merchants where you can collect the points. Redemption other than flights are awful. It might become another Air Mile, but is is way behind in merchant signup.

There's still the important fact that something went horribly wrong for Aim in its negotiation with AC. The way and timing AC announced its breakup, was really to spite Aim.

The aeropeso website has loads of technical problems, and the nightly maintenance outage is so last century. Now they won't spend any money to make any improvement. They poured lots of money to start up and promote the dStinktion program, but that's also all down the drain. People found little benefit in that program, and will no longer be trying to collect to achieve dStinktion status especially now they took away CC sign-up bonuses to be eligible. There are lots of negatives around Aim, and we haven't seen good damage assessment yet.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39611 posts
8990 upvotes
Anything worth earning at least half the value of air canada /star alliance flights?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6701 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:30 pm
Flyertalk is a small sample and very "niche" crowd
Not THAT many people have cancelled from what I've read, same thread as youI'll continue to collect & redeem Aeroplan, but yes book sooner than later is safer

Air Miles, after all that mess, is still around and will continue to be used. Big difference is they aren't publicy traded to reflect the sentiment
Flyertalk has a lot of people very knowledgeable about airlines and rewards. It's a good place to read and learn (that includes learning from you Jerry).

We won't be converting Amex MR to aeropeso any more. We're turning away from use of the ae affiliated cards, and use the mbna 2% cashback, or Scotia Amex 4% cards. 2% cashback is sounding a lot better than ae points, because there definitely will be ae devaluation coming.
IGetMoney wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:13 pm
Three years is a long time, a lot of points can be accumulated in that time. And even if people trade them in 2019 to get available airline seats, that's two years of collecting. That's a lot of points. I don't think AIM will just crawl up and die, they have to be proactive at some point.
We all hope Aim won't go under. My family has almost 1/2 million points (yap, lots of churning), and we like to use them up whenever we can.

But even if Aim survives, the points just won't be worth the same. There will be devaluation coming. Don't forget aeropeso website have lots of problems, that are not going to get fixed. Aim won't spend any more money to improve, let alone maintain IT. There is still the awful nightly outages. People working in aeropeso know the writing is on the wall, so if they are smart they'll be looking for new jobs. You'll see loss of experience and expertise in ae service reps. I too have points that I hope to get good value from. But things are just not looking good there.
Last edited by Arrgh on May 19th, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 23, 2011
430 posts
97 upvotes
The situation is sad. I stopped using airmiles when they announced their expiration policy. The only points program I use is aeroplan and now it is in turmoil. Without Air Canada what is the point of aeroplan?
Dec 16, 2012
69 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
treva84 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:01 pm
Unfortunately part of this on both accounts. Bleeding horrendously in AIM while about the same in HCG. Not losing sleep over this at least.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1277 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
portraitofruin wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:34 pm
Unfortunately part of this on both accounts. Bleeding horrendously in AIM while about the same in HCG. Not losing sleep over this at least.
Seems like the AIM bleeding stopped today and is on the way up?
Dec 16, 2012
69 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
blahraptors wrote:
May 19th, 2017 11:21 pm
Seems like the AIM bleeding stopped today and is on the way up?
Would hope so. Bought quite a lot of shares but at least I don't see myself needing the money for the next few years.
Oct 7, 2011
910 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Aim got hit hard and has been bleeding. There hasn't been good news coming out. It's almost certain there will be devaluation of the points.

It can become like Air Miles. Looking at the merchants AM has, it's actually quite vast. AM lost a lot of people with last year's expiration debacle. So even with so many merchants, many people are not trying to collect AM points. Ae has so few merchants by comparison, so ae has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to become an AM type of company.

ae website is full of problems, and there isn't much incentive now for them to spend money on fixes. Aim needs to do something quick to give people hope, otherwise it just looks like a dying company.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18680 posts
1095 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Some folks I know have speculated on if Air Canada did this on purpose, knowing it would drive Aim into the toilet... then once it hits it's low point and/or they enter bankruptcy protection, Air Canada buys AIM out for pennies on the dollar.

I am just trying to figure out how to spend my 250K points before end of the year....
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings