• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 10:31 am
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Eric1010 wrote:
One is considered top 10% income earner across Canada if s/he makes $95,273/yr in 2015. Just think almost all doctors & dentists make higher than that, then the government workers on sunshine list, then the C-level executives at big corps. The remaining 2% are left for people like us fighting the impossible :)
Not to take anything away from what you've written but these are just vanity metrics and don't really tell the whole story. I posted a thread back in 2016 asking people if they felt like hitting the 6 figure income really changed their lives and the resounding answer was it didn't. Got a lot of "I can afford to go out for one more nice meal". Living in Toronto and Vancouver a 6 figure salary doesn't go that far after taxes and living expenses. If you're in the top 10% it definitely has a nice ring to it, sounds great, but I know a lot of folks who make upwards of $100k and you'd never be able to tell.

I know you've identified trying to hit a goal of $70k and potentially even the 6 figure mark. Have a look at what others have said about their experiences: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/6-figure ... b-1930657/
Nov 20, 2016
175 posts
165 upvotes
In all honesty OP, if you're looking for opportunities for 70k with rooms for improvement, I would say get a specialization or professional designation of some kind to start. If you already have this, now is also probably a good time to look into government positions as there are a lot of retirements and all levels of government are looking to fill up. My old employer the CRA had recently ran a lot of processes looking for higher-level auditor positions that open to certified accountants in public practice only, these are positions that have a wage band rangin from 68k to 95k. I'm sure it's similar in other areas of government as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Maybe your certification and education are now outdated. Perhaps you need to look for employer who are still trying to function with old and outdated technologies because your past knowledge may become invaluable.

If you are all for updating and changes, I have no clue how often you have to keep going back to school.

Anyways, I think you received a lot of opinions and suggestions from others. Please be mindful of your vent. I don't know if it's you posting or multiple people posting from your account.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1883 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
Eric1010 wrote: I work in IT. Don't want to be too specific as RFD is a popular and open forum LOL!
IT is one of the easiest industries to level up and grow vertically instead of horizontally. There are few other industries where you can go get a ton of certifications without years of experience or schooling and easily qualify for a higher paying job.

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but you are either not distinguishing yourself on the technical side (getting more certifications, becoming a subject matter expert, becoming a consultant), or not advancing in the management side of IT (business analyst programs, project management certificates). Which would you rather pursue?

The other issue in IT is that you are probably sticking with one company. That is the easiest way to never grow, be promoted, or get a salary increase. Have you considered becoming a consultant? I'm not involved directly but I have several friends that make $55-$100/hour as IT developers/contractors/consultants in Canada with little to no education besides 2 year programs or some certs. That is easily 6 figures. You are in one of the easiest industries to self-direct massive career growth. You need to figure out how it works.

You mentioned you are more on the development side, why not look into web development or app development and start your own business on the side? There's lots of demand of that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Eric1010 wrote:
I won't look at those salary survey either, which has been known for sampling bias (i.e. only people with high income responds to the survey).
Also it really depends on what position the credential holder has. You have CPAs who will willingly slave for $60K/year in their 30s as just bare accountants, but there are all the guys in management, sales, or some incentive-pay role who are around $100K. They just happen to hold a CPA, but don't work as accountants. Doing taxes and writing financial statements is only worth so much after a while.

It's not just an accounting phenomenon - incomes are heavily skewed for a lot of fields and most surveys inaccurate; just assuming "if I go into X profession, I will get Y income" doesn't really work anymore. Especially when the other party is willing to pay as little as possible per unit of production.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote: Also it really depends on what position the credential holder has. You have CPAs who will willingly slave for $60K/year in their 30s as just bare accountants, but there are all the guys in management, sales, or some incentive-pay role who are around $100K. They just happen to hold a CPA, but don't work as accountants. Doing taxes and writing financial statements is only worth so much after a while.

It's not just an accounting phenomenon - incomes are heavily skewed for a lot of fields and most surveys inaccurate; just assuming "if I go into X profession, I will get Y income" doesn't really work anymore. Especially when the other party is willing to pay as little as possible per unit of production.
Most higher income positions will be in revenue centers. Most accountants are considered cost centers, that's why they aren't paid as much (except in IT, but most are in contract roles and those that does IT in-house don't really make a lot). At the end of the day, from what I've noticed accountants are generally less stressed compared to the other departments. Sure, they get paid more, but from what I've noticed they make most of their income from commissions and are much more stressful in comparison.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: Uber drivers probably make more than $70k. Any Uber drivers here willing to share their income?
Uber drivers make about $200 a day for 8 hours, so that's like $52,000 a year (260 working days) ... but there are costs including gas, maintenance, insurance, slow days, vacation, etc. which cuts your earnings down by 40 to 50%? So I would guess the average Uber drive makes $35,000 - $40,000 after expenses?
Last edited by coolspot on Feb 13th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: Uber drivers make about $200 a day for 8 hours, so that's like $83,000 a year ... but there are costs including gas, maintenance, insurance, slow days, vacation, etc. which cuts your earnings down by 40 to 50%? So I would guess the average Uber drive makes $40,000 - $50,000 after expenses.
How do you get $83,000/year from $200/day?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
OP, best of luck to you. I hope you can get a job in govt, I am in IT as well in the public sector and I make 80k/year.
I learn fast and can do the job well but I consider myself average. Most of the time I just want to do a good job and avoid getting any complaints about work and generally just make the boss happy (finish task on time, high quality work). I have no real ambition and I've lost passion in IT but it is what it is and at the end of the day, it is what pays the bills and my other leisure.

Working in public sector is a good idea, no bonuses but you get work/life balance (which is great if you love spending a lot of time with family or have other hobbies) and they give great benefits. I'll probably work here until I retire.

keep at it, the right fit and salary will come soon, ace the interview and you'll get the job. Good luck!
Last edited by DimsumDeals on Feb 14th, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1514 posts
1401 upvotes
Digital Gulag
RedStrikeCa wrote: So had anyone found a solution to make more than 70k as a software engineer? Companies are paying the bare minimum (and getting away with it).
Sorry if this was already brought up. I'm aware that Canada pays less than the states for software eng but is 70k really the avg? I thought this would be the starting....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
coolspot wrote: Uber drivers make about $200 a day for 8 hours, so that's like $52,000 a year (260 working days) ... but there are costs including gas, maintenance, insurance, slow days, vacation, etc. which cuts your earnings down by 40 to 50%? So I would guess the average Uber drive makes $35,000 - $40,000 after expenses?
Can't speak for Uber but some of the guys here work through Tappcar. It's like Uber except you get to slap on their logo on your vehicle as well. On a busy day it's not impossible to make 300 - 400 here.
RedStrikeCa wrote: This thread is depressing. Technical folks are seriously underpaid. Government needs to step in. Or maybe everyone will just go work for Amazon.
Supply and demand issue. Everyone wants easy money, so the money fades.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1693 posts
1946 upvotes
vancouver
RedStrikeCa wrote: So had anyone found a solution to make more than 70k as a software engineer? Companies are paying the bare minimum (and getting away with it).
Not my field, but from what I've seen, only attend the top 5 programs in the country, be good at what you do, and go work in the US.
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON
No idea where you look at, but I've seen 90k-120k very often, but they are for Sr.Java/.Net devs usually. I think a Sr.DevOp could get similar thing, as Azure and the other things are such a blingies in the eyes of the recruiter/employer crows nowadays. However Sr.PHP/Python/Perl dev won't make it over 70k easily imho. As for such rarities like ASM/C/C++/Cobol - honestly, no idea. I suspect the Sr.Cobol guys won't get much, but a Sr.ASM will probably get a lot. But still - who looks nowadays for an ASM dev? These things are exotics few look for. Perl too. PHP - no idea, but I suspect the freelancers keep it alive. So, stick to Java/.Net, be a Sr., get an all-star LI profile and you're there. It's fairly easy these days, assuming you are with at least 4y general dev exp and at least 3 of them are in the selected language. I just don't want to transition to Java/.Net. Been 1y Java years ago - not my cup of Java Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Just like DimsumDeals, I also lost passion. I actually never wanted to be a dev, it was just my hobby in high-school (1991 and on), but damn, after trying some low-paid jobs and seeing one of my besties getting much higher salary being a Java dev, I transitioned to pro IT. After moving to Canada in 2010, did the same thing - IT here pays more and is more easy to get the money with IT, which I learned after trying again some low-paid jobs. Now only I work, support my family, pay my rent, have lots of debts and still can manage it. Just cannot travel every year to Europe, as we wanted but still we're ok. I don't say "love the IT" - just say "go there for a better salary", unless you're a top-shot financial guy.
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON
frozenmelon wrote: Not my field, but from what I've seen, only attend the top 5 programs in the country, be good at what you do, and go work in the US.
Correct. I've also heard they pay much more there. Still, I won't go there. Too tired for moving again.
Feb 14, 2018
30 posts
22 upvotes
I've been out of university and working in IT for the last 5 years in web development. In my experience, I've always had to do job interviews to get a raise. It's also just a good idea to do a couple job interviews a year just to see what's out there, what people make, and potentially finding better opportunities.

If the market is willing to pay 5k-10k more than my current salary, I will either accept the offer, or let my employer know (only if i like my company and want to stay). Whenever I wanted to stay with the company, my employer has always been willing to match or beat the offer.

This tactic probably wont work for everyone, but it has worked for me every time. By doing this, my salary has gone up in 5 years from 43k in February 2013 to 73k as of Jan 2018.

Don't get discouraged, just keep working and trying until you get what you want. Best of luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1125 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
If you control the data (end to end), then they pay you more.

I am mainframe programmer and happy with my work and salary.

The only fear I have is that too many people (from outsourcing companies) around me trying to learn my work. I have resisted till now but not sure what will happen in future.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6317 posts
3093 upvotes
Manitoba
Ups and purolator drivers make over 70k
Jan 8, 2015
145 posts
63 upvotes
York, ON
if you really want money, transition into SAP consultation work. As an IT guy you wont have any problems learning the work. You can go into various types of SAP that all have different functionalities. Your starting salary would probably be around the 60k mark if you don't have any experience, but it quickly ramps up. You can probably hit 70k in a year then 80-90k + after 2 years if you play your cards right and learn a lot within the 1-2 years you have been in that field you can earn even more, it only goes up from there. Of course the work for a developer at heart is a little mundane, outdated and repetitive / boring but that's what you get in a trade for money :)
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
Has OP heard back from TTC yet, any good news?
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON
thrillho1234 wrote: I've always had to do job interviews to get a raise. It's also just a good idea to do a couple job interviews a year just to see what's out there, what people make, and potentially finding better opportunities.

If the market is willing to pay 5k-10k more than my current salary, I will either accept the offer, or let my employer know (only if i like my company and want to stay). Whenever I wanted to stay with the company, my employer has always been willing to match or beat the offer.

This tactic probably wont work for everyone, but it has worked for me every time.
Correct. This is what I used to do when I was young. Your tactic works perfect, but only to a certain age. Then you don't want to move that much, neither recruiters look good at you, when they see you are a career jumper.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)