Expired Hot Deals

[Air Canada] Air Canada End of Summer Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 8:40 am
Mar 9, 2008
352 posts
51 upvotes
I think I will just arrive early at the airport and pick seat at check in...I get to use my lounge pass anyways
Nov 25, 2009
389 posts
101 upvotes
Duncan
This sale is definitely more expensive than the seats I booked during the worldwide sale that ended a few days ago. Just as well, as I would have been grumpy to discover otherwise.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18957 posts
447 upvotes
YYZ
oscar1999 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:08 am
Unfortunately the major Canadian carriers: WestJet, Air Canada, Air Transat etc. all charge for seat selection in advance. If you want free seat selection with economy you will either have to have some status with the airline or choose to fly on US carriers like United, American, Delta etc.
It's not entirely true. I didn't had to pay for advance seat selection when I went to Shanghai earlier this year with Air Canada.
Oct 14, 2017
458 posts
319 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 3:54 pm
It's not entirely true. I didn't had to pay for advance seat selection when I went to Shanghai earlier this year with Air Canada.
Sorry should have mentioned the exception is some flights to Asia as some of their competitors offer free seat selection.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18957 posts
447 upvotes
YYZ
oscar1999 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:11 pm
Sorry should have mentioned the exception is some flights to Asia as some of their competitors offer free seat selection.
The Chinese carriers all offer free seat selections so it would be tough for AC to compete if they were to charge for seats. However, I noticed AC introduced basic economy for flights to Hong Kong. I don't know if they charge for seats though. If they did, it still won't really matter to me because I rather fly the Chinese carriers to Hong Kong.
Oct 14, 2017
458 posts
319 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:16 pm
The Chinese carriers all offer free seat selections so it would be tough for AC to compete if they were to charge for seats. However, I noticed AC introduced basic economy for flights to Hong Kong. I don't know if they charge for seats though. If they did, it still won't really matter to me because I rather fly the Chinese carriers to Hong Kong.
Nope you will have to pay $50 each way for seat selection with basic economy. I've noticed it's the same thing with baggage allowance - you can check two bags with standard economy on AC's flights to some Asian destinations which is probably also their attempt to remain competitive.