None
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2107 posts
752 upvotes
Sudbury
wackojacko wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 3:44 pm
We flew Southwest from Buffalo to Orlando with a 7 month old. At Buffalo Airport we had the option to bring the car seat to the gate and gate check it with the stroller (full size BTW). We lucked out as I asked the lady at the gate desk about gate checking and she said the plane has lots of seats available so we could bring the car seat on the plane and we did not have to hold our Daughter on our laps.

My suggestion would be to ask if there are seats available on the plane and if you can gate check the car seat when you are checking in. not sure where you are going but I would suggest bringing your regular stroller that the car seat fits in unless it's awkward for your destination. the umbrella ones just don't roll are well and you'll have to carry the car seat vs. clicking it in the stroller.
We had to buy a seat for our son, since he is over 2yrs...so he will have a seat regardless.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8187 posts
808 upvotes
kanewtz wrote:
Dec 17th, 2015 9:49 am
I am flying with a 28 month old in Feb.

I want to bring the car seat on the plane with me to secure him in it in his own seat.

As long as it fits in the seat, I should be ok? Obviously, i need to make sure its aircraft approved, etc.

Has anyone done this?
I've bought the car seat on once for my kid. Never again. It's big, it's bulky, it means they can kick the seat ahead. Etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7293 posts
797 upvotes
GTA
Swerny wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 10:09 am
I wouldn't bring a car seat into the cabin on the plane...space is already at a premium.
I would if I bought a seat on the plane and was traveling with a good carseat.

A seat can never be used after a collision, no matter how minor. Hopefully the airline handles carseats better than luggage, but I doubt it in all cases. I'd feel much better carrying the seat myself, knowing it hadn't been tossed around. I'd see obvious damage, but not anything hidden.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1717 posts
128 upvotes
I don't mean to revive an old thread, but seeing as this is 3 years old, I hope someone can shed light as to the current practices of Air canada. I'm planning on bringing a car seat and umbrella stroller to Las Vegas, so I am hoping that Air Canada (Rouge Canada) can still bag the car seat with the largest bag they have. Anyone travelled with their <2yo child recently and can confirm they still do this?

Much appreciated!
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10500 posts
3214 upvotes
Toronto
Questionz wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 2:05 pm
I don't mean to revive an old thread, but seeing as this is 3 years old, I hope someone can shed light as to the current practices of Air canada. I'm planning on bringing a car seat and umbrella stroller to Las Vegas, so I am hoping that Air Canada (Rouge Canada) can still bag the car seat with the largest bag they have. Anyone travelled with their <2yo child recently and can confirm they still do this?

Much appreciated!
bag it yourself with a Gate Check bag.

https://www.amazon.ca/Childress-Gate-Ch ... B000RRD7UG
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1060 posts
324 upvotes
Either put it in a gate check bag, or if you kept the box the car seat came in, pack it in the box.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1717 posts
128 upvotes
Makes sense. But as I was looking on amazon I couldn’t find the right size to fit our car seat. All the bags being sold are way too small.
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17202 posts
2076 upvotes
Langley
I flew Rouge a few months ago to Hawaii. Nothing's changed. Carseat gets bagged and sent via oversized luggage. No issues other than the plastic bags they had didn't really fit over the carseat, so it was a bit of a hack job wrapping it. We also gate checked the stroller. I don't know why that carseat bag says to gate check, I don't want to carry it through security and customs to the gate.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15093 posts
5360 upvotes
Questionz wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 2:05 pm

Much appreciated!
Your car seat it put into a large plastic bag and sent with the oversized luggage. You then pick it up with the oversized luggage.

The stroller is gate checked and there is no bag. Make sure to take off anything that is removable (cup holder, etc.) because it may come off in the cargo hold. You pick this up immediately when you get off the plane.