Travel

Air Canada Economy Basic VS Economy Standard

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2019 4:45 pm
Nov 1, 2016
14 posts
17 upvotes

Air Canada Economy Basic VS Economy Standard

Try to book a flight with AC to Europe find there is about $200 difference total for three people between Economy Basic VS Economy Standard. Basic: no change no cancellations, no refund no credit for future travel, 25% aeroplan miles and checked bags for a fee; Standard: change or cancel flight for a fee, no refund, get a credit for future travel, 50% aeorplan miles and 1st checked bag free. I think it would be worth to go with Economy Standard for about $200 over in total for three people.
Any suggestions and experience?
7 replies
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
yes
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Of course. What if your travel plans change (unplanned)? This is cheap insurance, unless you also have travel insurance as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2013
1432 posts
414 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
lbshome wrote: Try to book a flight with AC to Europe find there is about $200 difference total for three people between Economy Basic VS Economy Standard. Basic: no change no cancellations, no refund no credit for future travel, 25% aeroplan miles and checked bags for a fee; Standard: change or cancel flight for a fee, no refund, get a credit for future travel, 50% aeorplan miles and 1st checked bag free. I think it would be worth to go with Economy Standard for about $200 over in total for three people.
Any suggestions and experience?
are you sure its only $200?
For Basic Econ fares I find there is no mix and match ( either BE+ BE return or Econ standard +Standard) ie once you choose Standard going there the return would be standard automatically.
If some has status eg Elite ,the baggage condition may be waived, I think.( the AC site has no specific exclusion for Basic Econ )
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
In my experience...

Basic Economy is cheaper because it includes nothing
No ability to make changes
No access to refunds or future credits
And no Aeroplan Points

Standard Economy allows for all of the above
Changes for a fee
The possibility of refunds or future credits (depends on the situation that merits them)
And at least some Aeroplan Points

We usually book Standard Economy because of these few extras for the price difference
Cost me $ 30 each way on a recent ticket from Quebec to BC
So $ 60 round trip

As someone else said, fairly little cost for a bit of peace of mind

We rarely buy Travel Insurance for when we just need flights here in Canada
So the $ 30 / $ 60 is cheap for (5 / 10 hours) of fly time
Plus we earn the Aeroplan Points ... not worth much, but still something after all is said & done
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2522 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
Also, I think the basic economy boards as zone 6 (yes, it’s a new one) on international flights. So you will be last to board and last to secure overhead bin space.

The whole point of zone boarding was to fill the plane based on where people sit, from back to front, unless you had status. This zone 6 now defeats the whole process. Sometimes I wonder what discussions take place in NA airlines boardrooms...”what can we come up we now to make the experience even more painful and delay our flights even more.”
Celebrating 21+ years on RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wysiwyg wrote: Also, I think the basic economy boards as zone 6 (yes, it’s a new one) on international flights. So you will be last to board and last to secure overhead bin space.

The whole point of zone boarding was to fill the plane based on where people sit, from back to front, unless you had status. This zone 6 now defeats the whole process. Sometimes I wonder what discussions take place in NA airlines boardrooms...”what can we come up we now to make the experience even more painful and delay our flights even more.”
Not sure how Zone 6 defeats anything
Including back to front seating
Zone 6 are the very last people to board
They paid extra :rolleyes:
For that privledge of tripping over one another in the aisle
And finding there is no overhead space left for their stuff

The Flight Attendants i’ve seen have been very efficient at handling their needs
Without showing favouritism
Or anything else

These are the folks who yes, often are refused having their carry on loaded
Cause there just is no more room
I’ve hear the FAs tell them their bags are being checked... no charge
(Except for the hassle)

Just one more reason to upgrade from Basic to Standard
And getting in as Zones 3 to 5
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
also - can't change your assigned seat even when you're checking in 24 hours prior.

i just came back from a westjet economy basic flight. we were put at the back of the plane.

it worked out well for us since we were boarded nearly first (Zone 2), so we got our overhead space, and also the plane was empty at the back.
:confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)