Travel

Air Canada free checked luggage allowance reduced to one for international flight?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2018 2:16 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote: Nice try but your reply stated that AC were "Charging since 2011." which is wrong in the context of replying about a flight to China. And if you did a quick check on AC's site, you'll see that according to their online baggage allowance checker - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ecked.html, the 1 free checked bag rule mostly applies to European destinations, North American destinations have 0 free checked bags and the rest of the world allowing for 2 free checked bags.
The link stated ""There will also be a new $70 charge for second bags on some international flights, though the first checked piece remains free of charge."
So you got a free bag to China, bully for you. I just posted a link to Air Candaa.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on May 19th, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
894 upvotes
One checked bag is enough for me. Sometimes I don't even check a bag. It's not like I'm moving there. Sometimes, it looks like some people are traveling with half their house with them.
Jan 17, 2018
294 posts
215 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Charging since 2011. I though it was over 10 years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/a ... -1.1062584
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ecked.html

Put in PEK to YYZ and you will see you get 2 free bags.

I flew AC economy PEK to YYZ in December and got 2 free bags. It hasn't changed. They won't change unless the competition does, and thus far all the transpac route airlines have 2 free bags.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
OP whats your destination? HKG price quote shows 1 bag, but when you click details, it shows 2 bags complementary
Jul 20, 2007
31 posts
24 upvotes
I live in Asia, and the amount of bags airline passengers bring with them is ridiculous, airports look like big box store checkout lines...

I haven't checked a bag in over 5 years. Most airlines, including Air Canada, allow you to bring on board one carry-on bag and one personal item, which is enough for me as I pack efficiently. I also check in using my smart phone, while others are lining up with their Costco-sized carts, lol.

As for buying things, which seems to be a significant concern for many travelers, I say that's what online online shopping is for!! :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Handcake wrote: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ecked.html

Put in PEK to YYZ and you will see you get 2 free bags.

I flew AC economy PEK to YYZ in December and got 2 free bags. It hasn't changed. They won't change unless the competition does, and thus far all the transpac route airlines have 2 free bags.
See Post #21
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: The link stated ""There will also be a new $70 charge for second bags on some international flights, though the first checked piece remains free of charge."
So you got a free bag to China, bully for you. I just posted a link to Air Candaa.
And that's not right either, you posted a link to a CBC article about Air Canada's baggage fees, not Air Canada <- there's a big difference between the two.

And it's not about me.... it's about posting information that actually pertains to the message that you are replying to especially if you take the tone that you are correcting them when obviously you are not.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote: And that's not right either, you posted a link to a CBC article about Air Canada's baggage fees, not Air Canada <- there's a big difference between the two.

And it's not about me.... it's about posting information that actually pertains to the message that you are replying to especially if you take the tone that you are correcting them when obviously you are not.
Of course, CBC lied about what they reported, what was I thinking? :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
Why you always so angry, all the time...
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 16, 2009
713 posts
432 upvotes
Mississauga
I think, Each destination is different. I checked Air Canada's website at 10 15 am Mon May 21. I got the results shown below.
From
Toronto (YYZ)
To
Mumbai (Bombay) (BOM)

Air Canada Altitude Status
None

Fee† Weight & Size
Per Adult
1st bag
Free
2nd bag
Free

Each additional bag:

$225 CAD/USD (per direction, plus taxes*)

No overweight or oversize charges apply when the additional bag fee is paid.

Max. weight per bag:
23kg (50lb)
Max. linear dimensions per bag:
158 cm (62in)
Overweight bag:
$100 CAD/USD (per direction, plus taxes*)
for bags between 23-32kg (50-70lb)
Oversized bag:
$100 CAD/USD (per direction, plus taxes*) for bags between 158-292cm (63-115in)

If a bag is both overweight and oversized, the $100 fee is charged only once.
Jun 16, 2009
713 posts
432 upvotes
Mississauga
I also Flew Air Canada earlier this year YYZ / DEL (JAN 2018 ) it was 2 bags free. , ALSO BOM / YYZ ( MAR 2018 ) it was 2 bags free.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote: Why you always so angry, all the time...
Kinda off topic but, I did not stray, just responding.
The written word is up to the reader to construe. That is why there are so many different interpretations of the same book and document. Someone writes it with an intention, you read it with your interpretation.,
Dec 27, 2005
609 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just booked a flight from Toronto to Dubai. I have 2 bags

Possibly anything past Europe is 2 bags
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
EPcjay wrote: OP whats your destination? HKG price quote shows 1 bag, but when you click details, it shows 2 bags complementary
HKG. You are right. They have conflicting information but it is still actually two bags.

Thanks everyone for their responses.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on the destination with AC- end of story.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
4100 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
It depends what other competitors are offering to the same destination lol
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Can someone check Toronto to Korea, 1 or 2 bags allowance?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Can someone check Toronto to Korea, 1 or 2 bags allowance?
If you go on air Canada's website under baggage you can check how many bags you can bring to a destination
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BrunetteGirl wrote: If you go on air Canada's website under baggage you can check how many bags you can bring to a destination
This... BY FAR THE BEST INFO HERE
Before anyone books AND flies they should check the current situation

Cause there are variables that change a lot:

* Destination (some airlines consider all places overseas International... while others do not :rolleyes: )
* Equipment (the type of plane you are can make a difference ... check your ticket info)
* LOL, just because... as someone else mentioned baggage can be a bit of a “moving target”... things change waaaay too often because airlines want to stay competitive, see what other airlines are doing
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
Air Canada did this stunt a few years ago flying to east Asia to get a connecting flight from there. Arrive at the airport with two suitcases and get told that I would have to pay for one extra bag. I was told that the rule change came into effect a couple of weeks before, but I didn't know. Didn't make a fuss about it, but was not a happy camper either. So much for my cheaper ticket. The ironic thing was I wasn't charged extra baggage fees by ANA for the return flight from my destination in S.E. Asia. Anyhow that was a few years ago, and I just looked around for alternatives. First of all it was Cathay in premium economy, and now it's EVA Air with much cheaper fare but still quality service. I still sometimes fly with Air Canada within Canada (free movies), but when it comes to Asia, the Asian airlines now have my business. Only wish either ANA or JAL flew non-stop from YYZ to Japan. If their connections were reasonable, that would make for even more alternatives.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)