Travel

Air Canada Full Refund Due to Canada/US border closing?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2020 2:24 pm
[OP]
May 23, 2017
170 posts
10 upvotes

Air Canada Full Refund Due to Canada/US border closing?

US and Canada boarder are closing to non-essential traffic. 

We have a flight to LAX with Air Canada next week. Are we able to get a full refund to our credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit?
127 replies
[OP]
May 23, 2017
170 posts
10 upvotes
The link says "If your travel is scheduled before April 30th, you can cancel your booking without a fee, and get a credit towards future travel that is booked and takes place before December 31st, 2020."

Just seeing if there is a way to get a full refund to our credit card instead of just getting the future travel credit now that the Canada/US border is closed.
Aug 12, 2013
236 posts
134 upvotes
Brandon
Im very interested in this too. I'm a health care worker and my employer won't let me go even if borders are open. I could really use the money too. My flight isn't until May 1st but I would like the refund now.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34324 posts
8145 upvotes
Ottawa
I had an air canada flight through london to lisbon. Air canada cancelled my flight and routed me through Boston to Lisbon. That was cancelled and now routed through Newark to lisbon.
Government says no travel, Government closes border, Air canada will only give credit or a $1200 penalty for canceling and wanting a refund.
What BS by air canada as other airlines are understanding and giving full cash refunds.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1226 posts
684 upvotes
Ottawa
@Pete_Coach, did you phone in or is this just what the website is offering you?

If you phone in (which I know takes a lot of time....), then under normal circumstances, if you have a "major" schedule change (usually defined as a difference of more than 1hr, or going through another country where you can't stay in the international zone, you can get a full refund even on a nonrefundable ticket. Under those principles, you should be able to get one here.

[I have not yet had opportunity to do this, but will likely next week, so curious if you've been given the runaround by a live agent. Yes, the website should offer it, and I know it doesn't....]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34324 posts
8145 upvotes
Ottawa
houska wrote: @Pete_Coach, did you phone in or is this just what the website is offering you?

If you phone in (which I know takes a lot of time....), then under normal circumstances, if you have a "major" schedule change (usually defined as a difference of more than 1hr, or going through another country where you can't stay in the international zone, you can get a full refund even on a nonrefundable ticket. Under those principles, you should be able to get one here.

[I have not yet had opportunity to do this, but will likely next week, so curious if you've been given the runaround by a live agent. Yes, the website should offer it, and I know it doesn't....]
I have been getting "NOTICE OF AN ITINERARY CHANGE" emailed to me with all these changes of routing.

I have not been able to get through....it is busy or a recorded message saying they are too busy, call back later. I am 75L Altitude and my Wife is 35K Altitude and even those exclusive numbers are busy or not accepting calls. Had to get up in the middle of the night (nature calls :)) and tried then and got the same thing, busy signal.
I am scheduled to fly 23 April but since the cruise is cancelled, no need to go. I do have time to sort this out. I can cancel (business class seats and lose the $1200) up to 24 hours in advance. At least they won't be able to sell the seats, if they are even flying.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4341 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
Pete_Coach wrote: I had an air canada flight through london to lisbon. Air canada cancelled my flight and routed me through Boston to Lisbon. That was cancelled and now routed through Newark to lisbon.
Government says no travel, Government closes border, Air canada will only give credit or a $1200 penalty for canceling and wanting a refund.
What BS by air canada as other airlines are understanding and giving full cash refunds.
southwest would only give me credit for cancellation
Mar 24, 2015
981 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03 ... bg.twitter

Air Canada will gradually suspend international flightd and is giving credits valid for 24 months instead of till December 2020.

I would very much prefer a full refund instead of credits but since we'll most likely travel again, I will take the credits. Just because I'm tired of chasing airlines for refunds, wasting my time on the phone, and there is no garantee I will get anything from my insurance.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12377 posts
6244 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: I had an air canada flight through london to lisbon. Air canada cancelled my flight and routed me through Boston to Lisbon. That was cancelled and now routed through Newark to lisbon.
i have a similar situation.

I have a planned trip to Aruba end of April.

Total airfare cost for the 3 of us is $1600

Tried to cancel on the AC website and they are telling me $1215 of the $1600 is fees and not refundable.

Options are take a $1600 credit for travel within the calendar year or the crappy "refund" of $385.

Aruba has banned foreign visitors for a short period.

Hotels (Marriott) are somehow still saying they are "open for business" despite the Aruba travel ban.

I'm going to sit tight and see if the travel ban is extended to my trip date, I should have better negotiating tools if there's a travel ban on my dates
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11785 posts
9042 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Swerny wrote: i have a similar situation.

Tried to cancel on the AC website and they are telling me $1215 of the $1600 is fees and not refundable.

Options are take a $1600 credit for travel within the calendar year or the crappy "refund" of $385.

Hotels (Marriott) are somehow still saying they are "open for business" despite the Aruba travel ban.

I'm going to sit tight and see if the travel ban is extended to my trip date, I should have better negotiating tools if there's a travel ban on my dates
Ya hang tight ... AC has just recently changed their travel credit time frame to 24 months

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03 ... bg.twitter

I predict we’ll be like China, and take at least 8 to 12 weeks for things to calm down ...

The first cases in China were in December
First reported death = January 9th
Now = No NEW Cases Yesterday = March 18th = about 3 Months from first infections

Our first case was in BC = January 28th
First reported death, was also in BC = March 9th
So 3 months out for us = End of April

Not that that’s by any means scientific ... just that it is what it is

And based on some of the Cancellation Info / Forecasts
Clearly the experts are thinking similarly
It will be at least May / June before things get back to any sense of normal

EDIT / ADD - And countries that came behind us in Global Spread, are going to also be effected longer on the calendar too.
Aruba reported its first 2 cases on March 13th = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coro ... c_in_Aruba
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 19th, 2020 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mar 24, 2015
981 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Swerny wrote: i have a similar situation.

I think the people having to pay the non-refundable fees and that are not getting full refund are those travelling after April 30. When is your flight?
Mine is April 7 to 21 and if I cancel online, I get the full credit. It's just the deadline to use the credits that I'm not happy with (dec 2020).

But as the statement that I posted above said, people will get credits for 24 months if their flights are affected. So if I were you, I'd just wait a bit to have more options.
Mar 18, 2020
1 posts
i booked a flight to Houston using Aeroplan. Now i need to cancel which I'm encouraged to do online at Aeroplan.com I'm directed to Manage My Bookings. Can't find a link or instructions on how to cancel a booking on that page.

Calling Aeroplan but on hold with horrible music playing on a loop for hours on end and still no response.

any suggestions?