None
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria

Air Canada Refund Policy?

Hi,

I heard a rumour that you can cancel an Air Canada booking for a full refund within 24 hours of booking. Is this true?
18 replies
Oct 20, 2004
639 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
If it is booked on their website the answer is yes. You can do it online with no penalty.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
yaldaren wrote: If it is booked on their website the answer is yes. You can do it online with no penalty.
Cannot make that general statement, there are restrictions, you had best check before you commit to the booking.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
Pete_Coach wrote: Cannot make that general statement, there are restrictions, you had best check before you commit to the booking.
Where would you check/where would you see it?
May 22, 2008
472 posts
3 upvotes
Part of the 10 commandments

Thou shalt NOT REFUND

unless you buy a latitude plus class
Oct 20, 2004
639 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: Cannot make that general statement, there are restrictions, you had best check before you commit to the booking.
I've cancelled a lot of T+ flights within 24 hours of booking and have never been charged any fees. It isn't an official rule like with United (.bomb only though and not .ca) but I've had no problems cancelling flights online on AC within 24 hours.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
yaldaren wrote: I've cancelled a lot of T+ flights within 24 hours of booking and have never been charged any fees. It isn't an official rule like with United (.bomb only though and not .ca) but I've had no problems cancelling flights online on AC within 24 hours.
OK OP, based on this empirical evidence...take a chance, but, why have you not called Air Canada in the 3 days your question has been asked. They are the source of the correct information and only a 1-800 call away.
Oct 8, 2008
722 posts
70 upvotes
I booked a flight once in the lowest, non-refundable booking class and the next day the fare went on sale by about $200. I called Air Canada and they told me to just cancel and rebook online. I was not charged anything extra for doing that. But I would call just incase to be sure.
Jul 3, 2008
6 posts
Ottawa
I heard there is a law ( not sure if across Canada or only in Ontario) that if you purchase anything from anyone you are entitled to a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase. I have done this is many instances (however ticketmaster gives you a hard time for tickets but have done it) This was is supposed to protect those who where forced or pressured into a sale & did not relaize what they were getting into.

I have canceleld Westjet, Air Canada flights and many other purchases this way ( alwasy looking for the best deal). Not sure if it is still a law and companies do not like to advertise it however I have never had a problem making a change.

Just read recently somewhere on Air Canada website, think it was under the promotion if the same flights you find anywhere else are cheaper than aircanada.com they would match + $50, they also mention that there is no charge to refund within 24 hours ( this 24 hour thing is not new- they just mention it in the promotion)

Susan
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
yaldaren wrote: I've cancelled a lot of T+ flights ........
braysu wrote: I heard there is a law ( not sure if across Canada or only in Ontario) that if you purchase anything from anyone you are entitled to a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase. I have done this is many instances (however ticketmaster gives you a hard time for tickets but have done it) This was is supposed to protect those who where forced or pressured into a sale & did not relaize what they were getting into.

I have canceleld Westjet, Air Canada flights and many other purchases this way ( alwasy looking for the best deal). Not sure if it is still a law and companies do not like to advertise it however I have never had a problem making a change...........

Susan
I believe there is a cooling off period if there is a door to door sale and it may be cancelled withing a certain number of hours but, there is no law that says a store has to give money back. It is more of a customer service issue. many stores are not giving money back anymore, only giving store credit for returned merchandise.
Is it any wonder stores and shops and businesses are not providing the customer service they used to? They are never sure if they have made a sale and with folks like you returning things "lots of times" it causes them time, money and re-stocking fees.
A business just loves it when people buy things on impulse and then get buyers guilt or remorse and return or cancel things. :confused:
Jan 27, 2004
77 posts
truck city
I just refunded my non-refundable ticket within the 24-hr period. :razz:

The Air Canada lady on the phone told me that since I bought my ticket within 24 hours, there will be no charge/penalty for that.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
The point of no return is often the actually issuing of the ticket in their system. Up to that point they can be cancelled. I had something simlar with a reward ticket through aeroplan...I had everything booked, seats reserved etc...but the ticket had not been issued....so I had the opportunity to cancel (six hours later, when I found a better option for my trip).
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1168 posts
423 upvotes
Air Canada allows 24 hours from the time of purchase to cancel your ticket. I have done this a few times without any problems as long as it's a paid ticket and not one booked through Aeroplan.

Here is a link

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_na/f ... 70717.html

With a recent web enhancement, online bookings cancelled online within 24 hours of reservations are now automatically refunded in full to the original credit card. Therefore, if you make an error to an online booking, you can cancel the file within 24 hours and make a new booking. The service fee will apply if the Call Centre corrects the error.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
nalababe wrote: The point of no return is often the actually issuing of the ticket in their system. Up to that point they can be cancelled.
I've refunded an AC ticket bought online (within the 24 hr rule) that already had
ticket numbers issued and credit card charged. A separate refund was issued and appeared on the credit card a few days later.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4799 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
golfer29 wrote: Air Canada allows 24 hours from the time of purchase to cancel your ticket. I have done this a few times without any problems as long as it's a paid ticket and not one booked through Aeroplan.

Here is a link

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_na/f ... 70717.html

With a recent web enhancement, online bookings cancelled online within 24 hours of reservations are now automatically refunded in full to the original credit card. Therefore, if you make an error to an online booking, you can cancel the file within 24 hours and make a new booking. The service fee will apply if the Call Centre corrects the error.
I think that's what happened to my ticket when I enter the incorrect Aeroplan info.

They cancelled the previous ticket and re-issue a new one.

They did it a month after I first book the flight.
Mark77 wrote: That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Aug 23, 2007
401 posts
141 upvotes
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a question about their refund policy as well. I had planned a trip to Thailand but with the recent civil unrest I am rethinking my trip. I booked my flight a couple months ago and just wondering what their refund policy will be with regard to my ticket. Will I be able to get a full refund?
Dec 12, 2007
630 posts
231 upvotes
Canada
Has anyone had any trouble cancelling within the 24 hour policy recently?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
AnthonyC18 wrote: Has anyone had any trouble cancelling within the 24 hour policy recently?

Thanks!
Nope. Why would there be a problem? Their policy is pretty clear.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)