Tags:
None
[OP]
May 7, 2012
62 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Air Canada Rouge, is it really bad??

We are going to Vegas in Dec with Air Canada Rouge, after reading so many negative reviews, I wonder is it really that bad ?? seats r tight ( I'm 5'10), is it usually on time ??

Any experiences that you can share will be appreciated in advance. Thanks.
279 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15915 posts
1823 upvotes
I flew rouge from Orlando to Toronto ... it was fine. Seats were a tad smaller, but other than that didn't notice much difference.
[OP]
May 7, 2012
62 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
thanks. would aisle seats be a little better ??
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1011 posts
163 upvotes
I flew them this year to vegas mind you from vancouver - half the time in the seat as you, but you will survive. If it is a big deal upgrade to PE.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3997 posts
210 upvotes
I'm wondering the same thing. I have yet to see a real review, esp on youtube from a regular flier (that doesn't exclusively fly Biz Class) so my guess is that it's comparable to AirTransat and WJ but better than Sunwing...
Still waiting for a real review though...
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15915 posts
1823 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 10:33 pm
I have yet to see a real review, esp on youtube from a regular flier (that doesn't exclusively fly Biz Class) so my guess is that it's comparable to AirTransat and WJ but better than Sunwing...
What is there to review? It's better than AirTransat, on par with WestJet.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15918 posts
1512 upvotes
Langley
29" seat pitch... isn't that all you need to know? I flew from LA to Van on Wednesday. ACR and Alaska Air were the same price but ACR had a far better time. I chose Alaska even though it didn't get in till 1130pm.

I'm sure you'll survive a trip on ACR but I try and avoid it.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2029 posts
606 upvotes
Flew YVR to SFO last week. If your taller than 5'10 expect to sit sideways. And remember its BYOipad or equivalent. Or pay a chunk extra for PE or business class. If possible never again. Read the thread on flyertalk for some great reviews :-0
Banned
Sep 12, 2014
349 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
i6s1 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 11:00 pm
29" seat pitch... isn't that all you need to know? I flew from LA to Van on Wednesday. ACR and Alaska Air were the same price but ACR had a far better time. I chose Alaska even though it didn't get in till 1130pm.

Seat pitch doesn't mean much..since the seats themselves can be different thickness/design and actual leg room can differ even with same pitch
Jan 19, 2006
318 posts
117 upvotes
BC
Flew YVR to LAX last July 2014.

I am 5'11" with long legs - for me it was misery. The 29" seat pitch had my knees jammed into the seatback in front. Seat backs are set more upright than usual so as to make you sit in an awkward, uncomfortable too upright position, and the seat back in front of you is really close. The seat lacked the usual amount of padding that a regular seat would have. I bought a MEC self inflating seat pad which has proven to improve sitting comfort during longer flights.

I don't have a bad back, but I did for three days after this three hour flight. I had absolute pity for for a big man I spotted. This guy was fit and likely 6"6" and looked like and adult squeezed into an elementary school desk. Poor bastard sat with knees splayed open leaning forward onto the seatback in front of him!! He could not physically sit in a normal fashion in the seat space.

Entertainment system is pay to rent an iPad or bring your own media device - iOS, Android, or PC (Playbook would not work) via on board wifi and you will need to install DRM software (they make it available) so it will stream. The streaming was jittery and poor and the entertainment offerings were very dated. Who wants to re-watch a movie that you saw three years ago that is playing chunky? Load your device with what you want to watch, but when the seat in from reclines your device will be inches from your face. There is a very good chance that a Rouge flight will prove to be physically unpleasant especially if you are not small in stature. I have since done seven non-Rouge flights (767-300 v3, and 717) and found the seating to be wonderful for the six hour flight.

This new cabin design is all about squeezing in additional seats which I estimate (I could be incorrect) to be a single row of six seats. Will the revenue of these additional six economy class fares vs the cost of cabin reconfiguration, marketing, rebranding, exterior paint jobs to make it "Rouge" equate to a fiscal plan that will save Air Canada? Time will tell, but sadly most airlines are going to this model. So now that there are six additional passengers is there room for the additional carry on luggage?

I will avoid Rouge if at all possible for future travel - I used to complain about Canada 3000's seat pitch, but it was survivable for me.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15918 posts
1512 upvotes
Langley
GodRFD wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 11:25 pm
Seat pitch doesn't mean much..since the seats themselves can be different thickness/design and actual leg room can differ even with same pitch
Its true that seat thickness can come into play. But then you get thinner seats if you reduce pitch without reducing legroom. And thinner seats are generally less comfortable.

And I just dont think they're keeping legroom the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3997 posts
210 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 10:36 pm
What is there to review? It's better than AirTransat, on par with WestJet.
This is the first I'm hearing of this actually...
There are very few reviews online, esp youtube when it comes to AC, let alone ACR. Most are news articles but very little on the product itself.
i6s1 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 11:00 pm

Again, I hadn't seen anything except that people were complaining about it. Very few comparables, even on FT, although most people on there seem to fly Business Class.
I mean I get that ACR isn't the same as mainline AC, assuming that AT and WJ are comparables. I've never flown on SunWing so I have little to compare with really, not that we have many airlines here.
In any case, I've found AT fine when flying to London on numerous occasions so if it's similar to that, I can live with it. I'll just upgrade to the exit row to get the extra legroom.

Would I fly ACR or AT to Asia or anything past Cuba or London or anything past 7-7.5hours? Not at all. I have limits!

Do you at least have the air vents though? BA has supposedly started taking them out of their short haul flights...
AudiDude wrote:
Oct 26th, 2014 11:24 pm
You missed this?

air-canada-launches-new-non-stop-yyz-hn ... 1486698/2/

Look at the pics I took....
I did miss it.
Thanks though!
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
[OP]
May 7, 2012
62 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
We r screwed. lol. would sitting on aisle seat any better.
ACR wasn't any cheaper, I got it cuz of the schedule. Getting there at 11 am and coming back at 11 pm via MTL to yyz. paid 525. ALOT. I have flown westjet and sunwing before, with no problems. Westjet schedule didn't work for us, guess we gotta suffer the draw back.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4089 posts
144 upvotes
Peterborough
I've never flown Rouge but will fairly soon. From what I remember reading the seat pitch seem to be on par with the other low cost airlines.

Air Canada Rouge: 29"
Sunwing: 29"
Canjet: 29"
Westjet: 31-33"
Air Canada: 31-33"
PSN ID: SaabFanatic