Air Canada Rouge, is it really bad??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 9:49 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 8, 2017
268 posts
111 upvotes
i think there is enough info about flying with Rouge that people should be able to make an informed decision as to whether or not to fly with them. knowing what you are getting is half of it so if you are OK with no legroom, narrow seats, no food, no entertainment then cool. where AC/Rouge really pi**ed people off was when they switched mainline AC flights for Rouge flights and didn't say anything. i'm not sure this happens now but did when Rouge was first being rolled out. imagine if you paid top dollar for an AC flight and you got stuck with Rouge?
Apr 21, 2010
378 posts
158 upvotes
Montreal
chimaican wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:11 pm
Does anyone know if Rouge does complimentary pre-assigned seats when travelling with children? The Air Canada website says it's included however because they treat Rouge differently I'm unsure. I booked an Air Canada Vacation pkg but my travel agent says it's not included and I need to pay an additional $40pp.
Depends on the resort. Resorts in the "Play" collection have free seat selection for whole family (when travelling with children), pre-boarding and a 10$ meal voucher for each family member over 2 years old. Others don't. Check the Air Canada Vacations page for the hotel to see if it's part of their Play collection. It'll have a logo looking like this: Image
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5652 posts
1652 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
benge42ca wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:46 pm
Depends on the resort. Resorts in the "Play" collection have free seat selection for whole family (when travelling with children), pre-boarding and a 10$ meal voucher for each family member over 2 years old. Others don't. Check the Air Canada Vacations page for the hotel to see if it's part of their Play collection. It'll have a logo looking like this: Image
I hate Air Canada and their nickel and diming.

I get what you're saying, but what you're quoting is free seat selection (choosing your own) in the Play package which is different than seat pre-assignment (AC assigning your seat).

I think I will have to call AC myself because their website says pre-assignment to ensure children are seated next to their parent/guardian.

Traveling with Children
If you are travelling with children under the age of 12, you will receive complimentary seat assignment ensuring children are seated adjacent to an adult/guardian travelling with them. You should always indicate in your booking that you are travelling with children.
-You may contact Air Canada Reservations directly to be seated, or go to the ‘Manage My Bookings’ tab to review your reservation 36 hours after booking to validate your seat assignment.
-Air Canada Vacations bookings: click on the ‘View & Print Itinerary’ link to view your seating arrangement
-Bookings with a travel agent or via another travel website: click on the seat selection tool link to view your seating arrangement.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1197 posts
435 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
chimaican wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:55 pm
I hate Air Canada and their nickel and diming.

I get what you're saying, but what you're quoting is free seat selection (choosing your own) in the Play package which is different than seat pre-assignment (AC assigning your seat).

I think I will have to call AC myself because their website says pre-assignment to ensure children are seated next to their parent/guardian.

Traveling with Children
You need to contact Air Canada Vacations NOT Air Canada as they operate as two separate entities and even have different fare rules. Depending on the way your booking is set up it's possible only the agency will have access to it and ACV wont speak to you about it (but will tell you to talk to your agent).
Aug 22, 2001
721 posts
232 upvotes
Vancouver
I've so far managed to avoid Rouge like the plague but might need to book with them in January.

For the Plus seats, which "front row" is better on the 763 (767-300)? 12DEF or 27DEF? According to SeatGuru row 27 might be better but does anybody have any experience?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1341 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Just came back on a Rouge flight from BCN-YYZ and it was very pleasant...good service, plane/seats/entertainment was fine... I would say overall it was better than my flight on regular AC from YYZ-FCO

I would rate service on rouge better than even Cathay Pacific in terms of interaction with FA and how frequent they were with food/beverage.

Would not hesitate to fly Rouge again at all on their 767 . I chose their rouge plus seat in row 28 and imo it's better than even rouge premium for legroom
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1341 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
AEmgee wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 12:09 pm
I've so far managed to avoid Rouge like the plague but might need to book with them in January.

For the Plus seats, which "front row" is better on the 763 (767-300)? 12DEF or 27DEF? According to SeatGuru row 27 might be better but does anybody have any experience?
Row 27 is bulkhead..limited legroom and no storage under seat in front obviously... choose row 28
Aug 22, 2001
721 posts
232 upvotes
Vancouver
Doubleshot wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 12:27 pm
Row 27 is bulkhead..limited legroom and no storage under seat in front obviously... choose row 28
Is row 28 DEF (middle 3 seats) also more spacious? It is not considered "Plus" Seating.

I am traveling with a child so we can't sit in row 27 or 28 emergency exit seats AC or HK.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3555 posts
969 upvotes
Moncton
Being 5 10 it shouldn't matter. Just don't drop anything on the floor as you won't be able to pick it up.

I don't quite understand people who complain about leg room, as your legs go under the seat in front of you. But I am 5 11. Remember to recline your seat at your earliest convenience.

Reading can quickly cause motion sickness. So before leaving Canada, download the Air Canada app for entertainment. As a backup, download some movies from Netflix/Amazon/Google Play/iTunes (your battery will last longer with wifi off). Avoid alcohol. Eating, chewing gum and looking far away can combat motion sickness.

They can be trigger happy with the no seat belt sign, so don't be shy to stand up and walk around when it is off. Avoid the temptation to sit at the airport. And at the airport, avoid soft drinks, beer or caffeine. You will dramatically improve your comfort level by being hydrated. The best way to do that is water.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1982 posts
440 upvotes
Nunavut
MonctonMan wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 12:39 am
Being 5 10 it shouldn't matter. Just don't drop anything on the floor as you won't be able to pick it up.

I don't quite understand people who complain about leg room, as your legs go under the seat in front of you. But I am 5 11. Remember to recline your seat at your earliest convenience.

Reading can quickly cause motion sickness. So before leaving Canada, download the Air Canada app for entertainment. As a backup, download some movies from Netflix/Amazon/Google Play/iTunes (your battery will last longer with wifi off). Avoid alcohol. Eating, chewing gum and looking far away can combat motion sickness.

They can be trigger happy with the no seat belt sign, so don't be shy to stand up and walk around when it is off. Avoid the temptation to sit at the airport. And at the airport, avoid soft drinks, beer or caffeine. You will dramatically improve your comfort level by being hydrated. The best way to do that is water.
I'm 6'2 and the only way to get my legs to go under the seat is to break them just below the knee so that they bend the other way like an animals hind legs
Feb 12, 2018
1 posts
So for an upcoming Honolulu trip on Rouge, I am trying to decide between 12A/C with the bulkhead or 14A/C.

Being over 6' i'm thinking row 14 as I will at least be able to stretch out my legs to some degree.

What's the general consensus?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1982 posts
440 upvotes
Nunavut
StuartC342891 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:40 pm
So for an upcoming Honolulu trip on Rouge, I am trying to decide between 12A/C with the bulkhead or 14A/C.

Being over 6' i'm thinking row 14 as I will at least be able to stretch out my legs to some degree.

All depends on the type of plane

Use this site - https://www.seatguru.com/
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3359 posts
1686 upvotes
StuartC342891 wrote:

Never buy to fly without consulting Seat Guru first
Mar 24, 2008
157 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
If it's 12AC vs. 14AC then it sounds like a 767.

Personally, I avoid bulkhead. No underseat storage in front and often less room to stretch out in. Row 14 would win this one for me.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28752 posts
4551 upvotes
Ottawa
StuartC342891 wrote:

Actually, the bulkhead has less room as you cannot stretch out your legs under the seat in front of you because there is none so, your carry on must also be put overhead..
It is a 5 hour flight (if leaving from Vancouver). Also, the entertainment screen is farther away on the bulkhead, and the table tray is a flimsy one that comes out of the arm rest.
I highly recommend you take row 14.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous