Air Canada vs Transat

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 8:01 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote

Air Canada vs Transat

I'm going to book an all inclusive for July (not prime time to go south but it's for our anniversary)
Been watching package prices for a few weeks. They go up and down slightly. Most times Air Canada is cheaper but I've seen Transat cheaper some days. But I recall paying a fee to have seats together with Air Canada. And Transat seems to have a fee for luggage? Just wondering if anyone has opinions on which company is better once all the fees and fine print are considered.

Also, trip is for July. Is it better to wait a little longer? Will I see any price drop in the spring? I want a specific resort and a specific room category so don't want to wait too long in case they book up.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12304 posts
2566 upvotes
Ottawa
We're heading out to Dominican Republic on Monday with Transat.

Air Transat allows 23kg checked, a carry-on and personal bag free of charge as part of their vacation package.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6859 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
If the price is similar I would go with Air Canada. They own significantly more planes and serve more destinations in case of aircraft equipment problems. If you book on one reservation generally you will be seated next to each other. You'll have a chance to select seats 24 hours before check in.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3267 posts
257 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
GangStarr wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:35 pm
If the price is similar I would go with Air Canada. They own significantly more planes and serve more destinations in case of aircraft equipment problems. If you book on one reservation generally you will be seated next to each other. You'll have a chance to select seats 24 hours before check in.
Agreed. Are you going with rouge or mainline? That also makes a difference.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4461 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Air Canada Rouge pretty much services all Air Canada Vacations to the Caribbean now.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 8, 2017
70 posts
23 upvotes
rouge would be a non starter for me unless it was significantly cheaper than other options. actually the only time i might consider rouge would be if the alternative was sunwing. :)
[OP]
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Typhoonz wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:11 pm
Agreed. Are you going with rouge or mainline? That also makes a difference.
Looks like Rouge is the only option. We've flown Rouge twice before. Once was a good experience and once not so great. There isn't an option to Mexico in July with their mainline.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4461 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
aubgray1 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:41 pm
rouge would be a non starter for me unless it was significantly cheaper than other options. actually the only time i might consider rouge would be if the alternative was sunwing. :)
The only other reason for Rouge is that they tend to get better flight times because it's the sibling of Air Canada, unlike Sunwing which gets crappier times. For vacations this could mean the difference of making it to your resort at a reasonable time versus a stupid time.

Jul 5, 2004
21861 posts
1844 upvotes
I avoid Air Canada whenever possible. I try hard to not to do business with companies who have horrendous customer service, which Air Canada does. I know it's pointless because the average person will go with whoever is cheaper, but I have to at least try to do my part. Air Canada is all but dead to me. They'd need to have significantly better flight times for me to choose them. Simply being cheaper isn't enough, unless it was significantly cheaper, but that's never the case with AC
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6859 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Before you knock rouge if your flying the 767 widebody it's not as bad as the narrow body they fly. Haven't flown them but check which equipment their planning to use. Most complaints stem from the airbus routes
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2766 posts
706 upvotes
Moncton
Air supply from Canada to the Caribbean in the summer is significantly lower to meet the significantly lower demand. However, Cuba et al. try to fill their hotel rooms with Colombians, Argentinians and local nationals who have less money. So summer _can_ be affordable from Toronto or Montreal.

OP, I question your desire for an all inclusive. Are you really going to drink cheap booze and eat a buffet meal for your anniversary?

Don't forget July is in the hurricane season in the Atlantic. Most of the Caribbean is a potential target. But even here in the Maritimes we have to keep an eye on the weather for Tropical storms.
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Jun 15, 2015
943 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MonctonMan wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:25 pm
Air supply from Canada to the Caribbean in the summer is significantly lower to meet the significantly lower demand. However, Cuba et al. try to fill their hotel rooms with Colombians, Argentinians and local nationals who have less money. So summer _can_ be affordable from Toronto or Montreal.

OP, I question your desire for an all inclusive. Are you really going to drink cheap booze and eat a buffet meal for your anniversary?

Don't forget July is in the hurricane season in the Atlantic. Most of the Caribbean is a potential target. But even here in the Maritimes we have to keep an eye on the weather for Tropical storms.
OP please ignore this drizzle (I work in product development for a Canadian airline/tour operator)
1) Flight schedules to the Caribbean are reduced during May & June - September & October. July and August has seen incredible growth over the last few years with occupancy rates in the 90%s. You can fly to many destinations daily and have a choice of airlines. The southern St Islands continue on a limited schedule which is basically the norm. I'm speaking about Toronto here as it relates to the OP
There are a lot of reasons why the Caribbean has become a popular destination in the summer months for North Americans. That deserves a separate thread.

2. I question which resorts you have stayed at in the past but you certainly need to expand your horizons if you think an all inclusive involves strictly buffet dinners and cheap booze. OP if it's your anniversary take a look at the Karisma chain (El Dorado), Zoetry, Hard Rock, Secrets, Palace, Sandals (not a huge fan but some are better then others Grenada especially), Excellence, Paradisus- top shelf liquor, superior service and many resorts don't even offer a buffet. If you are willing to go without all inclusive take a look at St Barths', La Sammana in St Martin, W Viques in Puerto Rico, One & Only.

3. Hurricane season starts June 1st and ends Nov 1st. June and July are fine weather wise. I'm down there constantly for work so I see all kinds of weather. We usually go away on a personal vacation August long weekend because it's our anniversary. 10 years and never any hurricanes. August, September and October are different stories but an airline won't send you down there if one is heading to your destination and there's tons of hurricane protection- it's okay if you are flexible.

A good little poem we use in the travel industry for the hurricane season:
June too soon.
July stand by.
August look out you must.
September remember.
October all over.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4461 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
If it's for your anniversary, may I also suggest you look into cruising. I think for a wedding anniversary you'll find this to be more rewarding.

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel