air compressor size

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2017 3:59 pm
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan

air compressor size

I'm looking for air compressor to run some tools and to winterize my sprinkler system. Never had one before, so I'm not really sure what should I be looking for.
This one at CT is on sale. Any comments/suggestions.
compressor
16 replies
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Too small , a Shop Vac for blowing out lines would work better . Too small for bodywork tools and spray guns . IMO
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I have a 4 gal., 2hp Bostitch pancake style compressor. Use it to blow sprinkler lines, pump up tires, run finishing nail guns. About 15 years old, works great.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on what you mean by "tools". Nail/staple guns don't need very much. Automotive tools need more. Take a look at the tools you're thinking of using and the required pressure they need to operate. Most need around 3.0 to 4.0 @ 90 PSI, which the linked compressor would seem to be able to handle.

A smaller air compressor (5 gal or so) could still work for those tools, but you just have to take more pauses. A bigger tank means more air and thus more working time between tank recharges. A stronger compressor (more HP) means when it does repressurize, it'll do it faster. The linked compressor should be fine if you're just doing occasional DIY and don't have room for some 20 gallon monster, but won't be good enough if you're going to work as a mechanic, roofer, etc.

I have a 5 or 6 gallon and using an air chisel was the most intensive tool for it so far. While demo'ing a strong tile floor, I could work on a few feet before I would need to pause for it to repressurize. But that's okay because it would give my back and hand a chance to rest. But if I was a flooring contractor, I would want something stronger and get it done faster.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
as other posters said, what tools. best bet is look at potiential tools you might want to run with a compressor and look at the CFM rating and compare to the compressor.

ie http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxim ... p.html#srp requires 3.7 @ 90 and the compressor you listed says 4 at 90. so basically it will run but you're compressor would need to run constantly or you might even need to wait for it to tanks to top up. personally i would say that the compressor you listed would be a touch to small to run this impact gun
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Northofseven wrote: Too small , a Shop Vac for blowing out lines would work better . Too small for bodywork tools and spray guns . IMO
How powerful of a compressor do you think need for blowing out the lines?

C
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1254 posts
937 upvotes
Belleville
Depends on who you talk to. Most recommend 10cfm at 40 psi. Can be done much lower. I just bought a dewalt at 6.5 cfm at 40 psi. Depends on how big your system is etc. Will have to cycle zones with a weaker compressor and wait for it to refill.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 20g for running air tools. Most of my air tools are impacts, wrenches, paint, etc... I also have it for a finishing nailer. If you only need it for small applications, that unit will be just fine. Pumping tires, finishing nailer, flooring nailer, etc... If you are looking to pull lugs and paint, get something bigger.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Keep in mind if you want to use larger air tools continuously you need to go into industrial models. You're limited by the power of a standard outlet (120V/15A) and need to bump up to 240V to get sustained power.

A large tank can get you by, but just delays the inevitable when you're using up 8, 10, 12 CFM but only refilling at 4.

I have that exact model you linked in OP and it works well. It ran my small air chisel just fine for intermittent work, but obviously can not run it sustained because of what I mentioned above.
For short bursts, it will do anything and everything you want. Sustained use over 4CFM, look elsewhere (and have the appropriate power to run it)
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan
Thank you all for replays. I've actually learned something :)
I just need one for home use ie finishing nail, pump tires etc. Not sure about sprinkler ... might try.
Looks like pancake dewalt/bostitch are pretty high rated might check those.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4996 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a used one - you'll find loads of people who bought a 'kit' compressor + nailer to do a project and then sell it. For what you want most any 'portable' compressor will work fine. I've had one of mine for 17 years that I bought new with a nail gun, and I bought a 2nd used one for the cottage to do some hardwood up there. Little pancake unit with a brad nailer for $50 on Kijiji. Works perfectly fine.
Oct 30, 2014
32 posts
Toronto, ON
I have that CT compressor - picked it up when on sale and used it with nail guns (easy), and a power chisel for breaking away concrete slab - continuously running pressure in a tank would not go below 75-80psi - no problems.

Pros:
- price when on sale
- smaller size
- maximum fill of 150 psi (good when you need that extra power)

Cons:
- noisy
- somewhat heavy and no wheels (diy project?) to move around
Feb 7, 2008
966 posts
358 upvotes
Okanagan
That compressor at CT went on sale again. What I like is that it's got 4 CFM at 90 PSI so it should run 3/8 impact wrench (3.5) no problem.
I have a porter cable with only 2.7 cfm. Strange smaller one at CT has more power ...
Question: would you trade porter cable for this one at CT? quality vs porter?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
verby wrote: That compressor at CT went on sale again. What I like is that it's got 4 CFM at 90 PSI so it should run 3/8 impact wrench (3.5) no problem.
I have a porter cable with only 2.7 cfm. Strange smaller one at CT has more power ...
Question: would you trade porter cable for this one at CT? quality vs porter?
For home use, I doubt it matters between brands. You likely won't use it enough to notice if one is more reliable than the other.

As for smaller and more power, remember that you are buying a "compressor" but it's really sold as a unit of compressor+tank
A powerful compressor is what gives you sustained power, whereas a larger tank gives you longer time between needing to recharge. So a less powerful compressor could be paired with a very large tank and reasonably work well for a very long time at high output. And a more powerful compressor could be paired with a small tank and have the same power output. One is just going to be running more before use (to fill up the large tank) or during use (small tank that runs out quickly).
Most times you'd never know the difference - it's only when the tank is empty that it really matters.
So the smaller tank on this unit may not seem to last as long, but it can keep that 4cfm@90 continuously.
Your 2.7cfm unit can only do 4cfm until the tank is empty. Then it's limited to 2.7cfm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
It'll all be about the same for home use unless you have to run a paint gun, an air sander, or other high need tools.

Otherwise, the other most important thing is volume of the compressor motor, and the oil lubricated and belt driven compressors are noticeably quieter than the oil-free ones.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)